• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

question on a 515B dresser

cat320

Charter Member
Ok I'm looking at an '87 515B dresser they are saying it needs steering cylinder pins and bushings. Has anyone every replaced them before is it a pain and what kind of cost would there be weather I got the parts and tryed to do it or had a dealer do the whole thing ? I know the dealer would probably alot but just trying to get and idea on it plus where would I get dresser parts or is that a common type not brand conected?

surfer-joe

Unless the pins are frozen into the bushings or the bores on the frames, this is probably one of the easier functions to perform on a small loader. You ought to be able to do this yourself, being careful of course.

Sorry. The parts should be available at a Komatsu dealership. They may also be available other places or via the internet.

Last edited:

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Usually the bosses on the frames that the steering cylinders hook to are what goes bad. That usually happens after the center hitch goes bad.

Repairing the steering bosses involves building up the bores by welding and then machining them back to factory specifications. The cylinder bushings would also need to be replaced.

If the center hitch is bad, the machine has to be split, the bearings pulled and the bores checked. If the bores are shot they will also have to be welded up and bored back out to factory specs.

These repairs are pretty technical and require specialized machine tools. It is not something I would recommend for anyone new to repairing wheel loaders. It is also necessarily expensive so the price on the loader should reflect the cost of the repair.