• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Questionable video's online

Welder Dave

It's been mentioned many times it can be hard to know what advice to follow when looking for suggestions on the internet. I was looking for some tips on mounting very small pneumatic tires on my finish mower. I've heard the small wheels can be a real PIA. Some weren't bad, some the guy doing it wasn't really sure what he was doing and totally left out the hardest part he had trouble with. LoL What I found the most shocking is only a couple of them the guy was using proper tire irons. All the others they were using screwdrivers. I guess if you want a better chance at wrecking the tire or tube use a screwdriver. One guy was hammering on a screwdriver to break the bead. I guess they just want to post a video whether it's good or bad.

MG84

I reckon there's only about 1 in 10 internet how-to videos, that provide any useful or accurate advice.
The problem with looking to online videos, or even forum posts, is you need at least a little knowledge of the subject to determine who knows what they are talking about. Many of us know enough about various subjects to sort through the BS and find useful information whereas Harry Homeowner is just blindly following whatever he see’s online.

HarleyHappy

Occupation
Welder/Mechanic
You should see some of the how to videos for working on guns.
Makes me cringe. Lol

Old Doug

At the tire shop i worked at we clamp a rod in the vice standing strait up then slid the wheel over it like mounting it on a spindle then we have 2 big blunt screw drivers . To remount it you have to clamp vice grips on the rim to help keep it in place. If i was you i would have them mounted were i bought them. Its very easy to do for some one like me that has done hundreds of them but if you havent pay to have it done .

Welder Dave

I found the best price on the tires at a farm type store but they don't mount them. There's some bad welding advice on the internet too. Any suggestions of welding a gas tank shouldn't be posted at all unless it included steaming the tank or dunking it to remove any and all traces of gas. It's really irresponsible and lots of people get in a hurry and miss that one really important detail.

Welder Dave

I went to a friend's motorcycle shop and got some help with the tires. I'm glad he was in a good mood. Sometimes he's crabby and you don't want to be around him. It probably helped I said I'd help him get his backhoe boom cylinder apart so it can be resealed. The wheels were too small (5") for his tire machine. I managed to get the old tires off and the new tires and tubes on except for the last beads. Putting the tubes in such small tires is murder on your knuckles. It needed 2 people to get the last bead popped over the rims. A vice grip may have helped but they're on. It would have helped a lot if there was a way to hold the wheels.

Truck Shop

Most videos are produced by the "everyone is a mechanic" armed to the teeth by
Harbor Freight & Salvage along with the Craftsman 99 piece "Mechanics Tool" set.
The real "Mechanic/Technician is too busy working at getting a job done plus making
a living to bother with videos.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
One question I have is do people get paid for some of those "how-to" videos?

Is there some formula that for every so many views they get paid $1.00?

Welder Dave

It can be really lucrative. Apparently Lanse aka chuckie 2009 (I think that's what he used to go by) made enough to buy a house, shop and smaller farm or acreage, 100,000's of thousands. He also received a lot of free products to do reviews on. Some was expensive welding equipment. At some point the rules were changed where you didn't get paid as much for the commercials on your video's. Lanse had a huge following despite knowing very little and flying by the seat of his pants. He lost a lot of followers and stopped posting for several years because of some really awful anti semitic tirades. I happened to come across some recent video's of his about fixing an old backhoe.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I don't make how-to videos, I just show the process of how I got it from point A to B. To say one can't due to they make videos is poor dogma, just have to sift through the BS just like finding information online or on this forum.
This is my channel/videos in my signature.
Been there done that, got the tee shirt and going to do more... Follow along if you want!

Can't say I can't cause I made a video of what I could do and did.

Tyler d4c

It can be really lucrative. Apparently Lanse aka chuckie 2009 (I think that's what he used to go by) made enough to buy a house, shop and smaller farm or acreage, 100,000's of thousands. He also received a lot of free products to do reviews on. Some was expensive welding equipment. At some point the rules were changed where you didn't get paid as much for the commercials on your video's. Lanse had a huge following despite knowing very little and flying by the seat of his pants. He lost a lot of followers and stopped posting for several years because of some really awful anti semitic tirades. I happened to come across some recent video's of his about fixing an old backhoe.
I watched alot of his stuff when I was 16-17 forgot all about him till I read this

JD955SC

When he still lived in Ohio he had an awesome channel. I really liked his exploration of the welding world. Well done videos and a lot of cool stuff shown.

When he moved to TX it all changed, and not for the better.

nowing75

There are a few people on youtube that make videos of what other youtube people make. Its amazing you can make a living doing it if you know what you are talking about. I watch every night after the girlfriend goes to sleep. Some very smart guys willing to give free knowledge. South main auto is a good one for diag and western truck and tractor guy is always good to watch.