• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

questions about a wabco 666 clutch

okiebindernut

I'm getting ready to work on a wabco 666 for a customer. The clutch slips in the higher gears, I adjusted the linkage about a year ago and it worked good for quite some time. Now it is slipping again. I have learned that it is an oil clutch and was wondering exactly how it works. I've never dealt with one so I was hoping for some information on what I've got waiting for me inside the clutch housing.

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
I have manuals for a 666 but I'm in camp right now for the next month anyways. How soon are you going to work on this thing? On my 666 there's an aluminum decal with instructions on how to set up the clutch. It's attached to the cover under the seat through which you access the clutch. I have serious doubts about it being an oil clutch though from what I can tell, but I've never been in there and of course I could be wrong... I can see about getting the manual scanned for you if you need it in a hurry.

okiebindernut

I'll have to check for the tag under the seat, I've never been in there. What I adjusted was the rod on the slave cylinder that you get to through the opening under the fuel tank on the left side of the machine. I have already taken it apart far enough to access the panel on top of the clutch housing. I can see the pressure plate but there is also the drive gears for the small hydraulic pump that is mounted to the clutch housing. There are also two large hoses that hook on either side of the clutch housing towards the bottom and go down and hook to the rear end housing under the engine. On another note, there is no oil on the dipstick that goes into the rearend housing, what type of oil goes in there?

spitzair

Squamish BC (Home), Slave Lake, AB (Work)
Sounds like your machine is set up different than mine, the hydraulic pumps are on the front of the power transmission unit at the front of the cab on mine, and I don't have a slave cylinder/master cylinder either, just a full mechanical linkage... Is it a 666B by any chance? If it is then it'll be different than mine, I have the older 666 with all the mechanical rack and pinion for the blade functions...

On edit, could be you have a powerflow machine, I know nothing about them but they are described in my manual to a certain degree... I think the easiest way to tell if it's a powerflow model is it has only one gearshift lever if I'm not mistaken, the direct drive has 2...

Last edited:

okiebindernut

After looking closer I am going to say that this machine is a 666B. The model number is 666BGMxxxxx. The main hydraulic pumps are on the front of the transmission under the cab. There is a small pump mounted to the clutch housing. It sucks oil from the transmission housing through a cooler on the bottom of the radiator then pumps it into a port on the clutch housing. I'm uncertain what it does inside the clucth housing, can't really see anything in there. I guess its time to take this thing completely apart too see how it works.

okiebindernut

Yes, I have made progress. I went ahead and pulled it all apart. The clutch discs had next to nothing for lining left on them. I had the discs relined and have cleaned everything up, now I'm putting everything back together. Thanks for the offer of posting the breakdown pictures but I don't think I need them anymore.