• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

questions , Galion 503L with diesel 353 motor

goldhunter_2

I picked up a new to me Galion 503L with diesel 353 engine , full cab no ac or heat but loaded on trailer behind my pickup and took her home anyway :) now I expected I need some maintenance but needs sooner rather then later lol most machine I can go on line an find free pdf manual to download and find parts number and diagrams but hard to find info for this little machine...... if anyone has related info or a manual diagram and parts numbers for the below questions it be appreciated

1) oil, fuel (and air filter) I would like to change however they have been paint over some years ago so I can't see filter numbers

2) I would like to see a part diagram for the ripper attachment , mine doesn't have it on there. just trying get a idea what involved in finding and adding rippers

3) NEED asap a part diagram of front wheel hub assembly. day started off good filling a barn pad then I started around outside to slope a ditch and just like that front wheel falls off and she drops in mud :( I picked it up with excavator pulled out of ditch and swing sideways to set on blocks , tomorrow I have to figure out how it goes together and a diagram would be great if anyone has a copy lol

goldhunter_2

ya I was thinking about checking the other side to lol , but for now one side at a time if I can help it , I "think" it looks like a bolt in cap some how is all that hold it on the spindle but need to get it cleaned out to see , just easier to have a diagram to look at sometimes and of coarse finding parts like seal and bearings if I have part numbers to start

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..

goldhunter_2

I have seen a few with 353 in there but most have been those gas engines , I like it but paid a little extra I guess .
Sorry I said "ripper" meant Scarifier

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Not sure of your chances for finding a scarifier for a 503L, they're a popular little grader, real handy, and not too many have been parted out.

goldhunter_2

Well just to put in the thread in case someone in the future reads with same front wheel assemble issue, sorry forgot pictures of inside and repair

the hubs on front of grader have a rear seal, inner and outer cone bearing and race , the out bearing and hub is held onto spindle with a retaining bolt threaded into center of spindle and big thick washer, then on the outside of hub is a cover plate with four bolts that is basically a dust cover between grease and dirt.

Failure on mine was caused by some youngster who repacked bearings at some point and never put the aircraft style wire tie back though the bolt , once the bolt worked lose to stripped the threads on both the retaining bolt and inside the spindle. I re-tapped 1/2-13 in the spindle , replaced the bolt with new grade 8 and a lock washer (have to go back later and drill bolt to wire tie properly) but ran for a few hour this evening --------- I can see some new LED lights in a future project lol

The hardest part of the whole repair was the tire , with two of us we still where not able to lift the tire & hub on spindle ending up rolling up on blocks then on floor jack to get over spindle, after that we used two ratchet straps pulling in and wiggling tiring to get rear bearing on then front bearing in far enough to get the retaining bolt started . Them tires mite be bald and junky looking buy they ain't missed no meals those suckers are heavy !!!

IMG_2753.JPG

Welder Dave

They are counterweights. I don't have them on my Champion but have seen them on many other graders. I wish I had them on the front to help counter the weight of the ripper.

Clyde Hathaway

That is a nice grader. I have one in VA just like it, only mine has front scarifier and heat in cab (from the factory). Serial Number GM06886. Picture attached, sorry it is so far away. The parts book came with it and I got operators manual off ebay I think. It has a drain plug in the bottom for the rear end/transmission.

Attachments

• GalionGraderJPEGSM.JPG
    GalionGraderJPEGSM.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 6

goldhunter_2

That is a nice grader. I have one in VA just like it, only mine has front scarifier and heat in cab (from the factory). Serial Number GM06886. Picture attached, sorry it is so far away. The parts book came with it and I got operators manual off ebay I think. It has a drain plug in the bottom for the rear end/transmission.
yes wish mine had the scarifer, but mite be able to find one in the future . I don't think mine has a heater but is pretty nice have the full cab with glass just blocking the wind is great help

Clyde Hathaway

Sorry to just have really seen your first post about the filters. Here are the numbers for the 353 Detroit:

Air Filter NAPA 2234

NAPA 3073 Primary tall Filter

FUEL FILTER ELEMENT NAPA 3511 Secondary short filter

OIL FILTER AND GASKET: PART #85830 NAPA 1138

goldhunter_2

Sorry to just have really seen your first post about the filters. Here are the numbers for the 353 Detroit:

Air Filter NAPA 2234

NAPA 3073 Primary tall Filter

FUEL FILTER ELEMENT NAPA 3511 Secondary short filter

OIL FILTER AND GASKET: PART #85830 NAPA 1138
thanks that is a HUGE help , all my filters are painted over so having the numbers I can order filters now

goldhunter_2

How many BTU's is the 12 volt heater? I wouldn't think a 12 volt heater would heat a grader cab unless the heater burns diesel or something.
I don't recall the btu off hand is just a cheap little heater like we used to throw in softtop jeeps not perfect but something