• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Quick Connect On Cat C27 Injector?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Has anyone found the trick to replace the quick connector on the wiring harness to the injectors of one of these? The connector part number is 264-2407 and has the Tyco brand on it. This harness is the one inside the valve cover. Also seems like there should be some kind of seals around the individual wires liek a Deutch connector but none came wiht the housins. Could not find any info through SIS.

Nigel you out there?

kshansen

Occupation
Little more info:

Truck is a 773G S/N JWS00172

Connector is part of 361-6545 harness

Cat dealers maechanic has been told by over the road engine mechanic that there is a "kit" that includes the connector with wires installed that is used by cutting and splicing with but splices to the harness. They say harness is not available anywhere!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Sorry I'm blown out of the water right now. Main internet is on the fritz and I need that to get into SIS.

I was looking at a CD-ROM parts book for D10T (also C27) and came across 257-4183 Wiring Gp - Unit Injector. "For use as Service repair for injector harnesses with the 7E-6513 Connector".

Also try Special Instruction REHS0970 - it might just help you out although it does not list the Part Number in your post.

kshansen

Occupation
Sorry I'm blown out of the water right now. Main internet is on the fritz and I need that to get into SIS.

I was looking at a CD-ROM parts book for D10T (also C27) and came across 257-4183 Wiring Gp - Unit Injector. "For use as Service repair for injector harnesses with the 7E-6513 Connector".

Also try Special Instruction REHS0970 - it might just help you out although it does not list the Part Number in your post.

The 7E-6513 repair connector is for injectors like in our 980G II. This 773G has dual coil injectors with a four wire plug on connector. It looks kind of like a Deutch connector but in place of the wedge that holds the pins in place in the center this connector has a red retainer around the outside. This retainer will slid up the housing with a click and you would think it was releasing the pins but so far have had no luck. Waiting to see what the "Kit" is this truck engine mechanic looks like. Just strikes me as strange that Cat sells the housing but no other parts or no way to remove the wires.

As a side note the reason we are trying to change this connector is for the second time, first was back in June of this year, we are getting an error code. The code references "Low current" on #2 coil in injector #1. Back in June Cat replaced the injector with a reman injector. This time the.y are thinking the problem is not the injector but the harness connector. This error code comes and goes during the day as an active code. Truck has 1,667 hours on the meter as of today

Nige

This is a stab in the dark but I think I might be on to something. The parts breakdown of the 361-6545 Harness As (which I assume iis for one side of the engine if it's anything like our C27/C32 engines) only contains 3 line items in Quantity 6. These are: -

264-2407 Plug As - connector
8T-8737 Plug, Seal (can't be that. It's the standard round white plug for empty spaces in Deutsch connectors)
291-9857 Seal, connector

So I'm guessing that 291-9857 is what you need. It is only a guess though and the number is not listed in my Parts Store.
I also found a Special Instruction REHS3657 that may be of some use to you because it deals with disassembly & assembly of Tyco terminals including listing some tooling Part numbers for terminal removal.

kshansen

Occupation
Tried with the tool for releasing the pins from ecm and bulkhead connectors?

The dealer mechanic had a couple different tools. One was the plastic tool shown in Special Instruction REHS3657 and the other was the tool that looks like small wood working gouge(hope that makes sense).

As this truck is still under extended warranty I'm basically working as his helper holding things and passing tools as needed.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
Do you have a picture?

I don't know much about mining equipment but I have some experience with these connectors.

Any other markings on the connector might be helpful. They are usually cast in and very, very small, but sometimes useful.

Nige

ksh. Just a thought. If the machine is still under warranty tell the dealer not to be such a tightwad and order a complete new harness. Even if the replacement connector fixes the problem it's probably going to cost more (especially in labour) in the long run than it would by simply replacing the harness in the first place.

We've recently replaced cab harnesses in 2 x 789D trucks that are both less than one year old because of internal defects (usually in internal spliced joints) simply because I refused to let the dealer cut the harness open and allegedly "fix it".

Last edited:

kshansen

Occupation
Dealer mechanic said the harness is not available anywhere. I find this hard to believe on a machine that is less than two years old, unless there is a know problem and new parts are being made to correct a problem.

With all the pushing and pulling on the lead to the injector and its plug I would find it hard to believe the problem is in the plug or the crimps for the pins in the plug. Wires would have broke off by now. They seem to be thinking that oil is getting in the plug and causing a problem. Some how I just don't see that. Would oil cause a low current code on a coil? Our 980G II that uses the injector the 7E-6513 Connector would fit has the electrical connection exposed full time to the engine oil inside the rocker box with no problem. I know these injectors may run at a higher voltage so that may make a difference?

Nige

If the harness is not immediately available in the Parts System the dealer should declare the order for a replacement harness (especially if it was under warranty) "MEGA - Machine Down". If necessary a harness would be pulled off an engine on the production line to satisfy the order.

kshansen

Occupation
Do you have a picture?

I don't know much about mining equipment but I have some experience with these connectors.

Any other markings on the connector might be helpful. They are usually cast in and very, very small, but sometimes useful.

Sorry did not think to take any pictures.

The only thing I could make out on the plug was "Tyco" There were numbers on the opposite side but too small to read clearly. If I recall correctly seems like they were something like 369 or something like that, sorry can't be more help notes I took are at the shop today.

This is a four conductor plug that looks close to a Deutch connector. Where the Deutch connector would have a wedge in the center that when removed allowed access to locking tabs to release the wires this one has a red square ring around the outside that will slide down some and snap in position giving the impression it is releasing something but wires still don't come out. I tried looking on Tyco's web page but get lost in all the special connectors.

kshansen

Occupation
If the harness is not immediately available in the Parts System the dealer should declare the order for a replacement harness (especially if it was under warranty) "MEGA - Machine Down". If necessary a harness would be pulled off an engine on the production line to satisfy the order.

If there is no positive resolution Monday morning I will push my boss to lean on the dealer. I'm kind of low down the Totem Pole but sometime a nudge down low can cause more movement up near the top! Plus I have to listen to the driver b1tch when he has to run the "old" 769C that doesn't have a working radio, no tunes, poor guy! His A/C works but none in shop!

Gavin84w

Nige, the 773 won,t qualify for a MEGA order as it is not a core 14 mining machine, 773 will only be able to be put on a machine down order for parts, that said that level of order should get some action pretty quickly.

Nige

Damn, bugger, & blast ......... I'm so used to MEGA that I tend to forget that it's only for the mining world ........... :eek::eek:

However for a machine with only just over 1000 hours on it surely the dealer ought to be able to apply at least some pressure via their Cat District Office to get it moving again.

Karl Robbers

This is off topic, but related.
What has happened to Caterpillar's legendary parts back up?
My first employer was an ex Caterpillar salesman and I was indoctrinated as to Cat's unbeatable parts supply and availability. Now, working in the Mining industry, I have experienced parts availability that has not exactly blown me away. At times, parts for my old D7C seem more available than for a current AD55B or R2900G. How could there possibly only be 4 sets of C27 injectors, (AD55B) available worldwide and why does a sump for a C27 take 4 days to turn up? Wasn't the old standard for current model machines "overnight or it's free"?

Nige

Also off topic but how about this..? At PM time recently on a 16M we found some pieces of broken spring from the engine/trans coupling in the oil when it was drained. Removed transmission to replace coupling - 4 springs with broken pieces. Remove brand new (0 hours) coupling from box - 1 spring broken already. WTF..?