• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Radial vs. Vertical lift?

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
I'm looking for a skidsteer, and would like one big enough to lift a round bale of hay, push manure, and do a little digging.

Which one would fit the bill? It does need to be older, since I'm limited by funds. Prefer under 11K, but could swing up to 15K if it's really nice.

Totally new to them, been looking but not sure what to look for.

Cats are out of the question as nearest dealer is 3 hours away. Have a Deere dealer 20 miles away. Along with a NH/Case/ Bobcat dealer same distance.

Pecord Exc

How heavy is the bale of hay? How high do you have to lift it? any constraints such as width or height for in barns etc? I have used mustang Skid Steers in the past and and have been quite impressed. NH's are goo too they mad John Deere's for YEARS before JD came out with their own.

changexlt

Occupation
Construction Operator
Our bales range from 1100-1500 some may be heaver but i doubt it, most are rather light.

Height well just into a bale feeder that is 4 feet high, but might need to get the bale lifted high enough to tilt it in.

Don't have any width or height constraints, yet.

landtekk

If you are digging in bank and loading dirt, a radial will do it better with more breakout force. but a vertical lift will higher without tipping. I like my Gehl cause it been so dependable also with the vertical lift there is more boom slop than the radial.Either one will probably do just fine. scott

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I'm looking for a skidsteer, and would like one big enough to lift a round bale of hay, push manure, and do a little digging.

Which one would fit the bill? It does need to be older, since I'm limited by funds. Prefer under 11K, but could swing up to 15K if it's really nice.

Totally new to them, been looking but not sure what to look for.

Cats are out of the question as nearest dealer is 3 hours away. Have a Deere dealer 20 miles away. Along with a NH/Case/ Bobcat dealer same distance.

A vertical lift may make some things easier but you would likely get along fine with a radial lift machine. My dad (who lives near Jamestown, ND) feeds round bales with a CASE 430. The increase in distance away from the machine does not buy you much when the load is as low as it is feeding round bales. If your using a skid steer to load out of the field and your stacking them on a trailer two bales high that may be different, but still doable with a radial lift. I would want a machine with at least a 2000 pound ROC. If your looking to spend up to 15K, here are some options. I am a firm believer in CASE skid steers so I will give you some models to look for.

85XT vertical lift. Has about 83 hp 3.9 Cummins nonturbo. They are popular here with the Farm/cattle guys. The ROC is 2650

70XT radial lift 85 hp turboed. Very powerful for its size, has a ROC of 2000.

95XT vertical lift. Awesome machine 85hp turboed and maybe over kill for your application, however if you could find one for the money you want to spend in good shape it would quite a find. This unit has a ROC with the counterweight of 3650. I have had two of them and it is like a little wheel loader.

90XT radial lift 85 hp 2450 ROC. Big and powerful, made to excavate.

The newer machines are the 400 series and not likely you will find one in your price range. However here are some numbers to look for if you found a deal.

430 radial lift 2000 ROC

440 radial lift 2000 ROC

445 vertical 2650 ROC

450 radial lift 2450 ROC

I have buddy who is a salesman and works for Titan Equipment in Jamestown if you need help.

If you are more set on staying at 11K I would find a late model 1845C. 1750 pound ROC/56 hp, argueably one of the best skid steers ever built for its time.

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Another thought- I planned on doing the same thing with the Cat 242 you see in the other thread. About two weeks into hay feeding season, I had to get into the market for over the tire tracks quickly. Can't speak for your environment, but I have to have tracks in middle Tenn. to feed hay. Just too damp. It didn't take much of a rise to get it slidding sideways bale & all.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
people dont like the verticle no line of sight its obstructed radias its pretty open as far as hight 2 high maybe 3 the verticle is better hight and reach aslo the forks are about 3 to 6 inches more forward as you get higher so your not right on top of the pile while the verticle is about right over head so your tires or tracks are right on the hay