• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ratcheting or Snap Binders?

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
Binder Reminder

When using snap over binders, it is critical to position yourself and the binder correctly to avoid injury.
Maintain contact of feet with the ground, do not lunge.
Never push down on a cheater with your body above it.
Never push the cheater away from your body.
( in other words, pull the cheater bar without entering the path the cheater will follow if you lose control)
Keep a roll of duct tape to secure the break over binders during transport.
Tighten all load equipment after 5 miles.

Most states also require "transfer chain" of either GS-70 or GS-80 rating.
If your chain meets this rating, it will have a stamp on each link stating the rating.
3/8 OK for small machines but 1/2 common on heavier equipment transport.

Regulations require 4 point chaining on every piece over 10,000 lbs.
Happy Trails

xkvator

Peerless - made in china?

i was at the local Case dealer the other day & some real pretty blue Peerless ratcheting binders on the shelf caught my eye. As i'm always buying extra - just in case - tools,etc., I was going to buy 2 until i saw the made in china stamped in the handle.
What's you're opinions?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Unfortunately in some respects, "Made in China" no longer automatically means inferior quality. Their metalurgy techniques have come a long way in the past couple years. A few years ago I'd just take a pass on made in China tools, but now some of them rival American name brands in strength at half the cost. Good for the consumers but bad for the American workers.

I can't comment specifically on the binder you mention, but it would be worth looking into.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I'd have to agree with taking a look at items that are made in China. Practice makes perfect and the Chinese have been getting a lot of practice at making lots of things. Same thing with Japan, Japanese cars used to be junk, but now Toyotas are one of the top brands for quality.

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
Ratcheding or Snap Binders

I take the approch when tieing things down in my truck or trailer what is the worst case that may happen. Even the quad gets two 2 inch wratchet straps or did. I always over do it so as not to attract DOT's attention. I did see some people up by Slave lake some months ago with house hold goods in a trailer secured with 1/4" rope sort of. Guess who DOT had pulled over in there inspection blitz. When securing backhoes Chained in 4 corners and the stick. Still learning.

bobcat ron

Banned
Occupation
playing with the new 247 MTL
Ratcheting on the heavy end of my MTL and 2 "mini" snappers on the front corners with a WLL of 3600 lbs each.

Colin Doy

I'm new here so this is an easy answer to start with. 25 years ago binders is all I used. Now ratchets are the only way to go (for me). Less dangerous to use and easier to keep tightened. I wonder what we'll use in 25 years time!

smalltime

Ratchet binders always. I read some coments on dirt & water, but I am bad about leaving them in the trailer tongue & dropping them in the dirt. A little PB Blaster & they work fine. I have had some for at least 10 years with no problems.

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
I still use a snap binder.
Maybe one day I'll get some ratchet binders.
:cool:

Attachments

• IMGP0284.JPG
    IMGP0284.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 905
  • IMGP0285.JPG
    IMGP0285.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 910
  • IMGP0286.JPG
    IMGP0286.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 892

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I prefer the over center binders too,much easier to use,handle and store in my opinion.You can use them in the dark without having to try and figure out which way the darn thing is ratcheting and if you are tightening it or is it going to come apart in your hands.Not all tractors have hookup lights and I have cussed those ratchet binders a lot of times.When I remove a binder I leave the pawl where it was until I need it again but not everyone does that so if someone else has borrowed your binder you don't know where it is going to be set when you need it again and this applies to daylight too really,you still have to check it.Sometimes when you throw them in the storage bin the pawl can flip over on you too.
With the over center binders you just need a 3 or 4 foot length of conduit or pipe and you are all set,if you know how to hook the chain to it you can tighten it as tight as you could ever need.
The only time I reach for a ratchet binder is when I can use it to bind the 4 corners of a track machine to the deck frame instead of using the D rings and a chain.The snap over binder is much faster too although you do need to use some care when you release them.I have seen that pipe go flying:))Ron G

d4c24a

ratchet binder

this is what i use

Attachments

• ratchet%20load%20binder.jpg
    ratchet%20load%20binder.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,061

Eric

Here's one from today. This is how I haul our JDexcavator.
chains04.jpg

chains03.jpg

chains02.jpg

chains01.jpg

stuffyourturbo.jpg

Save a turbo... stuff your exhaust!!!!
Sorry about all the links, I'm not having any luck resizing my pictures:beatsme

Last edited:

Ray Welsh

Banned
I'm the oddball in the bunch, surprise! I use the snap binders with a cheater stick, but am very careful. When I worked at a construction company, they used the rachet style but they never seemed to last very long. They alway got run over by a machine then would be useless. The snap types seem to take a bit more abuse.

Sorry to disagree with you Steve, for safety nowdays it's ratchet for me. Osama Bin Laden probably reads this site in his spare time. Many years ago he was one of the worlds biggest private Caterpillar owners. I wonder why you keep giving him free press?? GW Bush stated a few years ago, "Mission accomplished".......C ya.........Ray

SouthOnBeach

Occupation
jack of all trades
i'm lazy and like my rachet binders. i think though somewhere we still have a few snaps laying around for those times we need just one more binder to secure everyhing well.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Catpower! :drinkup

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Colin Doy! :drinkup

Catpower

Occupation
Electrician, equipment operator
Ratchting or Snap Binders

This is off the topic alittle but guess I will be back running JD backhoe and grader ( JD or Champian )starting Wednesday. Oh no how much have I forgot. :beatsme Will have the run the carrier truck app it has an 18 spd to carry the hoe around. ( Oh good) Think I saw snap binders on it.