• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rebuilding fuel priming pump

Columbo

Last fall when I was completing routine maintenance I noted that the fuel priming pump on my Cat 311B excavator was leaking fuel everywhere when I tried to prime the system after a fuel filter change. Machine S/N is 8GR00401. I pulled the parts diagram below from SIS, are there user-serviceable parts inside the priming pump or should I order a new one (looks like p/n 239-6656 is the current replacement for around $100).

In addition to making a mess when changing filters, I have been investigating a periodic loss of performance issue which I described in another thread. I’ll be checking fuel system pressure this year when I get the machine out of its winter hibernation but could this leaking primer pump contribute to my power loss issue?

Columbo

Pic wouldn’t post in the message above, let’s try again… the part that’s leaking is # 1-7 below.

IMG_1550.png

Delmer

I'd bet that is common enough across different transfer pumps. It needs the same threads and that's it, it holds the check valve spring down, but otherwise does not interact mechanically with the rest of the transfer pump. The bore and stroke of the hand primer itself aren't critical. It looks like aftermarket replacements are $10-30 so no point in looking too hard for seals, unless it's easy to get the plunger out, then it's probably just an o ring that's worn.

Columbo

Take down #5.. that’s the one with the filter screen in it..
U can replace just the hp..
I’ve cleaned the screen inside the banjo bolt (#8) but I will do it again while I’m there. Are you saying there is a screen behind the plug #5 as well that should be cleaned?