• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Recommend me a welder

Welder Dave

Aluminum Mig runs reverse polarity the same as steel Mig wire. Reverse
Polarity is usually for some self-shielded flux-core wires. A 252 is getting up there in price and I don't think Mike needs that much welder. A Hobart like Ironman 240 like Truck Shop has would be a good option.

Tyler d4c

I bought a 90s model 255? Lincoln at a sale for 300 bucks has a spool gun it's the best spool gun I've ran across much better then the on Lincoln sells for the little migs. On of these days I'll own a push pull set up

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Millermatic 252. Reverse the polarity and add a spool gun for aluminum. Not as pretty results as a TIG or dedicated push-pull set up but reasonable.
I had MM252. A great 300 amp MIG. I upgraded to MM255. That is much more fun! MIG aluminum is usually considered to be limited to 1/8" thick or more. With the exception of Miller building a MIG "optimized for thin metal" you won't be real happy MIGging thin aluminum. TIG will do any thickness & with helium thicker still even if your welder isn't big enough. My 280 amp I have done 5/8" thick aluminum TIG. It was challenging, so I added a bit of helium mixed with argon. That made ALL the difference.
Aluminum needs much more power than steel to weld.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Can't really go wrong with a Power Mig or a Millermatic, I do prefer the Miller spool guns slightly over the Lincoln ones.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I ended up with a Lincoln 215 MPI. It’s probably way more advanced than what I need but that’s ok. It will mig, tig, stick, and I added a spool gun to it as well. It runs off 110 or 220 and you can input what thickness of metal you are working with and it will give you a starting point of voltage and wire speed. Plus Lincoln was running a rebate of $400 if it was purchased before June 30. I got it the 29th.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Built my pole barn with Lincoln 210MP unless you want to stick weld, then I would say avoid it like the plague. The ol' tombstone Lincoln does better stick than that, other than that you can weld aluminum, stainless and TIG if you install the addition to it.
Going on 8 years ownership and it's been through a lot!

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I got the bobcat 260 if I need to stick weld. So far I’ve laid down less than 1 foot of weld but it did it nicely

ThatGuysFarm

I have been running a Miller 251 since 2009 and it has been a great welder, I've run pallets of wire through it and have only had to change the rollers once and I'm on the 3rd gun. We got Miller 252 welders in my welding shop in 2017 and they are also great welders. I upgraded to Miller 255 pulse welders in 2020 and they are even better! I haven't did any aluminum welding with them though so I'm out of that loop. But if you shop around and find a Miller 251 for a good price you will not be disappointed!

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Bought a used Millermatic 210, Not ever been upset that I did, has both Steel large spool and a Spoolgun for aluminum. Also bought a Miller Suitcase CST280 Best buys I ever made for welding but are both 240v

Welder Dave

Some machines designed more for Tig aren't always the best for stick welding. Older Miller Dynasty 300's are an example. While you generally can't go wrong with name brand machines like Miller, Lincoln, Esab, etc. there are a lot of import machines that are proving to be extremely good welders for far less money. A few weeks I was in a tool store and couldn't believe the price of new Miller and Lincoln welders. Back about 2010 I worked at a place that sold Lincoln Ranger 305G's for $4800. Now they're about double that. That's a lot of money for an air cooled single cylinder welder. I know a Tig welder who has a Miller Dynasty 280 he really likes but got a Canadian designed Canaweld built in China that he says is just as good if not better but way less than half the cost. He uses the Miller more only because it's set up with a very compact water cooled torch. The Canaweld has all the fancy settings and only costs $2500 with everything included. The Miller equivelant with everything is over $6000. He also said the Miller is basically sourced from China and put together in the US.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Actually, I'd stack my Miller Dynasty 280 as best TIG I've ever used & second best stick I've used.
I still don't use it for stick. I have a 1969 Lincoln 300/300 Idealarc for stick.
MIG is done with Millermatic 255.
I have a spool gun I haven't yet used for aluminum, preferring to TIG aluminum.
Engine welder is Miller Bobcat 250 I bought used.

Ain't a single welder that'll do it all & sometimes torches are best choice.

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I missed your budget. But I would go with a big blue 400 miller. Diesel welder. I have 3 welders and most of my work at my shop is outdoors so I use this machine. It is a 3 phase welder and it will do better than a ranger style welder and it can handle 100' + leads to get work that is further away running large rods. I have a lincoln wire feed box that can hook to it but I mostly use 7018 rods.

Before Covid you could get a nice used unit for about $6000.00 Now I am not sure of the going price.

I also have a precision tig with a water cooled torch by lincoln. I am planning to build my BAJA race buggy frame with it. LOL. maybe in my next life.

If your pockets are fat then get a new one

The fuel economy is half of what any gas welder is. Best welder I have ever used for field work.