• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Regular Maintenance on Cat D4H

medow

First Dozer, 2nd Cat machine. Ran it for >10 hours and only broke 1 hyd hose so far, but haven't greased it like we do daily with the excavator. I have manuals, but not sure where a easy guide is for regular maintenance for a dozer. Is there daily/yearly maintenance that should be performed? Haven't found any zirk/quick fitting on hydraulic cylinders of 6 way blade to grease, and not sure how to grease any of undercarriage.

What else Do i need to go to keep her in good health? Has 9000 hours, but appears decent care/service last 35 years..

thank you

medow

I relooked, have lots of manual section that show how to repair, tear down, rebuild the components, but the divider tab for "maintenance" is empty. Also have parts catalog, and O&M supplement. But nothing showing a list of what do do every day/100 hours, 1000 hours, etc.

PS - thanks to you and others had incident where ran out of diesel and read on this forum how to prime the engine without the hand plunger pump.

Can't see what the fuel level is in the tank fill cap. any suggestions for better way to observe fuel level?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
but the divider tab for "maintenance" is empty.
Not unusual, the O&M often goes walkabout from the binder.
"Is it complete.?" is the question you forgot to ask the seller before buying the service manual.

A replacment O&M isn't hard to get but you'll need to post the machine Serial Number to identify the correct one.
Can't see what the fuel level is in the tank fill cap. any suggestions for better way to observe fuel level?
Maybe it should have a dipstick in the fuel tank but impossible to determine without a Serial Number. Are you seeing a recurring theme here.?

Nige

You can get an Operation & Maintenance Manual from Cat Publications HERE.
Continue as a Guest, put SEBU6013 in the box and click Search. The illustration below should appear. This manual covers 8PB machines with S/N up to 3999. A paper copy of this document would have originally been in your Service Manual when it was new.

A download would be available within 5 minutes. Add S&H to prices for a CD or a paper manual.

1699308717436.png

Nige

Regarding the fuel tank it should have a dipstick in it. In the parts list it's described as a "plunger". A flat metal strip with a bend on the end of it.
Part Number is 8G-5231, ref #10 in the attachment. Not a very good illustration but it's all there is.

Attachments

• Fuel Tank.pdf
    109.3 KB · Views: 6
It’s been 20 years since I’ve been on a D4H but if I’m remembering correctly it had the Teflon or some other kind of plastic bushings on the blades to take the place of grease fittings. There was another D4 but it was a conventional drive of the same time fraa as me that was the same. I hope this helps.

Welder Dave

Fuel cap with a dipstick under it looks similar to what I have on a 931B. It's graduated in tenths and each tenth is good for about an hour. Might be more if working it really hard.