• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Relating to the Process of Weighing your Truck and Trailer

ericscher

I am posting this here on the theory that the question isn't actually about either trucks or trailers; it's about the actual practices of a Law Enforcement Agency. If I am wrong, I apologize.

I was told something yesterday...
I don't know if it's true, but it SOUNDS true and certainly COULD be, but I have no knowledge or experience to apply to it.

The guy told me this...

If you have to get your trailer weighed they are supposed to place the scales or sensors under your TRAILER tires, not under both truck and trailer. He also said that they are not supposed to make you drop your trailer.

The reason this matters, according to the guy, is that your truck is carrying some of the trailer weight. So you might technically have too much weight in the trailer, but because 10-20% of it is being carried by your truck it would show on the scale as less.

For instance...

My Truck has an 11,400 pound GVWR and the rear axle is rated for 7,000 pounds. My trailer is rated for 14,600 pounds GVWR with each axle rated 8,000 pounds. Together they do not exceed 26,000 pounds.

Assume truck weighs 7,500, the trailer weighs 5,000 and I place a 10,600 pound load on it, making the trailer overweight by 1,000 pounds.

But, I have the truck carrying at least 10% of the combined trailer and load weight of 15,600 pounds, which is 1,560 pounds.

So... NONE of the individual axles are overloaded and the total weight of truck, trailer and cargo doesn't exceed 26,000.

Now, the ONLY part of that which I am certain is true is that you can have an overbuilt trailer that is CAPABLE of exceeding it's stated GVWR, but it is "branded" at the factory with a designated GVWR that will be the LEGAL limit.

So, can anyone shed some light on the practical application of this?

lantraxco

Technically I suppose a weighmaster could issue a citation for exceeding the spec plate rating of a trailer, it's more common for exceeding the GCW rating of the power unit, like my 1997 Dodge dually. I've never had anything other than the axle weights and licensed GCW weight checked.

The three axle gooseneck I last owned stated the Emtpy weight, and then GVW with a notation that this included X number of pounds on the hitch. Basically maxed out the three axles capacity plus the hitch weight added up to the GVW.