• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

relief valve, breather?

talltexan6ft7

Hydraulic fluid leaks from where this fitting screws in and I am afraid to tighten it too much! Case 580b I think 1973

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Someone removed the filter condition gauge and put a pipe plug in it's place.
It leaks because the elbow is thread with tapered threads like gauges have.
That is why the plug leaks. You can see the plug screwed in as far as it can go.
It is not a good idea to screw it in any more.
A new gauge may leak after that plug was used.
You could take the fitting off of the machine and weld the plug in by brazing it with a torch.

talltexan6ft7

Hi, so there are two fittings pictured with the smaller brass fitting screwed into the larger one. I took the smaller of the two off and cleaned it and it had some sort of what I can only describe as a thin semi-coned shaped piece of metal that went in at the top! The lower fitting is where the leak is coming from (where it screws in). So in essence, I can just plug this off? That won't cause too much pressure to build up? Thanks for your time!

Delmer

The bigger fitting is a street 45, in 1/4" npt probably? take that out, find a plug that size, preferably steel instead of cast iron, and plug it. Clean that off with a brush and solvent before you take it out if you want to be careful.