• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Remove side beams from blade on Cat D6C , D6D ?

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Hello, I see the whole blade with beams off of these dozers but im wondering how difficult and what tools are required to get the side beams off of the blade so all the parts can be put on a truck and shipped without being oversize? Thanks, Dave

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
Getting the push arms off isn't hard. Handful of wrenches, a good sized hammer, pry bar and if it's hydraulic angle a couple plugs and caps for the hydraulic lines. Bolts won't be too awful big on a D6. Nothing difficult at all other than if the stuff falls or pinches you it's gonna hurt! Might not hurt to have a couple straps to secure the lift cylinders, they'll stay on the machine. Bolt everything back where it came from so you don't lose bolts, pins or caps.

Junkyard

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
The push arms? Grab the blue wrench and cut the bolts at the blade trunnion. A 15/16 on a big impact will take care of the bracing. Try a real wrench on the track frame trunnion. To get even narrower take the track frame trunnions off. Your gonna need a big 3/4-1" drive set up to 1 1/2? and a cheater pipe.

Don't know your deck height but you might be able to take the blade off the machine without breaking it down for transport. Flip it on its face arms up.

Last edited:

DoyleX

Occupation
Nope just some big bars, sockets and muscle.

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Good Thanks, Asking due to my looking into whether its do able shipping a D6 , 600 miles or 1000 miles to my location 60 miles north of Houston.

I wonder what the cost per mile would be for a D6 with blade off? 30K to 33K Lb.

If its a standard track width machine, blade off then its not oversize width then right?

DoyleX

Occupation
To get even narrower take the track frame trunnions off.

They stick out way beyond the track edge. Take em off and you'll be around 96-102 wide depending on your pad width unless a lgp

ETMF 58 White

Step deck guys run pretty cheap, and if you have to pay labor to break down the blade then put it back together you may not come out cheaper than just having it shipped overwidth. Contact a freight broker or post it on UShip and see what you get. You will need to know the exact width of the blade, however, including the corner bits.

The last two legal weight machines I've bought over 500 miles away it turned out to be way cheaper to have them shipped by a broker than to send my RGN haul rig after them.

D6c10K

If you break it down make sure you have plenty of tools...and a torch. Bolts may be plenty rusted if it's been a long time since it's been apart. The front trunion bolts don't have room for a socket. Best have an offset wrench or just cut them.
Had to torch the rear trunion bolts on mine and then had quite a bit of trouble getting the cap offf because of rust around the bolt shank.
I haven't tried removing the trunion from the track frame on mine but I'll bet it would take a few hours and quite a bit of torching to get the bolts to give.

Depending on the trailer you might have trouble having enough room to load the tractor and blade components separately.