• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Replacing rear axel seals

Carolina start up

So I’m looking for a used skid steer to go with the excavator and I found a used bobcat 763 for a decent price but says needs rear axel seals and a few other things. So my question is how hard is it to replace those and is there anything else to look for on those skid steers

crewchief888

if the axle bearings are still good, you can remove the hub, pry the seal out and install a new seal.
bobcat has a "special" seal driver the set the seal at the proper depth.
however :rolleyes:
most of the time theres a reason the seals are bad, and that being the bearings are worn out/loose. :mad:
still over all it's not that bad of a job to do, remove the inner bolt and sprocket from inside the chaincase, and pull the axle, replace the bearings and races

Carolina start up

if the axle bearings are still good, you can remove the hub, pry the seal out and install a new seal.
bobcat has a "special" seal driver the set the seal at the proper depth.
however :rolleyes:
most of the time theres a reason the seals are bad, and that being the bearings are worn out/loose. :mad:
still over all it's not that bad of a job to do, remove the inner bolt and sprocket from inside the chaincase, and pull the axle, replace the bearings and races
Alright it’s one of them things where I have a tractor with a loader and I don’t need a skid steer so I’m not wanting to spend 30k or more for one more if I’d like to find something under 15k that can be used with the excavator. This one is priced at 7500 so that’s why I was wondering if at the price will this be something simple or am I gonna wanna set the thing on fire and toast marshmallows over it because it was a pain

crewchief888

Alright it’s one of them things where I have a tractor with a loader and I don’t need a skid steer so I’m not wanting to spend 30k or more for one more if I’d like to find something under 15k that can be used with the excavator. This one is priced at 7500 so that’s why I was wondering if at the price will this be something simple or am I gonna wanna set the thing on fire and toast marshmallows over it because it was a pain
if you plan on paying a dealer to do the work resealing the rear axles, it probably wouldnt be worth the money outlay from you. JMHO
working at a dealer ive seen more than one repair bill cost more than the machine is worth, but people still do it.

Carolina start up

if you plan on paying a dealer to do the work resealing the rear axles, it probably wouldnt be worth the money outlay from you. JMHO
working at a dealer ive seen more than one repair bill cost more than the machine is worth, but people still do it.
Was gonna do it at the house and pull up some YouTube videos

Carolina start up

ultimately its up to you ;) if it's worth the time/effort and parts cost
Well I’ll go check it out they did say other minor issues to so see what else is wrong with it but I’ve been finding plenty for sell. Lot of John Deere 250 skid steers or bobcat 190s even found a ct332 Deere with 11k hours for sell for 25k