• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Retrofit spin on water sep filter on D6C?

davo727

Occupation
Aircraft mechanic
Hello,
D6C turbo, has the old square glass separator deal. Any reason to not install a modern spin on instead that uses filter separator that have a drain on the bottom?

I know its just gravity feed from the tank through whatever separator and then to the engine driven low press fuel pump.

Do the new type need an electric pump to push fuel through them?

Thanks.

Delmer

You shouldn't need an electric pump as long as the filter is coarse enough.

I'm not familiar with the glass separator, is that the same square glass box that Stanadyne used on lots of equipment engines over the years? every one of those that I've seen has drain and air bleed ports built into the base, hex nuts but with o rings so you can remove them by hand if not too tight. Or remove the filter, shake it up and dump all the dirt out with the water and diesel.

lantraxco

I think that was an option back in the day. Should have a small hex head O-ring plug for draining on the bottom of the housing plate. Anyway, should be no problem installing a different style as there's a mechanical pump I believe in the injection pump. I see Delmer beat me to it, some things never change, lol.

56wrench

the square type water separator has a visible moisture absorbent pack inside unless someone has replaced it with a fuel filter type. sometimes the little nubs on the back of the fuel filter will not allow it to seat properly on the water separator base, but on old machines, somebody could have modified the base. i personally liked them because they were easy and quick to change out in the field with no special tools unless i dropped the spring clamp into the stump pan and then it was time to go fishing

Reactions: DB2