• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ridiculous parts prices

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've been purchasing parts for many many moons, not much gives me sticker shock anymore, but when the price of something is unreasonable, I mean, really? Yes I've heard the old saying "parts is where they make their money", I'm fully aware of that, I'm talking about prices that go way beyond that.

Different machines I've worked in the past two weeks, the first a Komatsu CD60R crawler dumper, servicing the A/C system. Called Kommie for a new filter/dryer, it was like $450 bucks. Are you freakin kidding me! For a filter/dryer? Just damb. :Banghead I obtained a suitable replacement from auto parts supplier for about 20 bucks.

Yesterday, working on the A/C system on a Bobcat 442 excavator. Again, need to replace filter/dryer. Called Bobcat dealer, didn't have one in stock, would have to order, $540.00! :eek: For a filter/dryer! Good Grief! :spaz Got my local auto parts on another hunt, said he'll be able to find a replacement, prolly around 20 bucks again.

Then the best laugh was our 2008 Dodge 3500. Any of you guys got a late model Dodge with Cummins, better pay attention here. The starter took a crap. Sent it to my trusty starter shop, Richard called me back and said "this is one of them new starters, they don't even have parts available for these yet, but I can get you a new one for 300 bucks and some change". Told him I'd call him back. Well boss said he would like to send the truck on a trip next day so call Dodge and see what they got. Dodge parts man said "yep, I got one on the shelf, it's only eleven hundred dollars." LMAO! Told him I would have to get with boss on that one...I called Richard back. :tong Thing is, the original starter was a Denso. Got the new one from Richard, it was a brand new Denso, looked exactly like the original. Go figure. :D

bobin35

I see a pattern here denso=japan,komatsu=japan,bobcat=doosan,korea cat parts prices look better and better all the time imho.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've been telling folks that for some time now bobin when they talk about Cat prices, Cat typically ain't as bad as others out there. The Bobcat 442, it's actually a German built machine.

bobin35

Didnt know about the 442 being german built,iknow terex is really bad on prices,a new 4 inch exhaust stack for a ta30 last i checked was 1200.00,and the electronc dump control lever was 3200.00 just crazy!

BillG

Yup, I really hate it when I am on a job and have to buy an exorbitantly priced part just because the machine has to be back in operation as soon as possible. I guess what really bothers me the most is, the guy behind the counter knows he is ripping me off because he knows what their cost is.
I realize it costs money to stock the shelves but the local auto parts stores don't get it for free and they are a lot cheaper for the exact same part. The oem just seems to think they have you between a rock and a hard place and might as well make as much from you as they can get. Most times one can save a considerable amount of money if we can shop around, and that is for the exact same part.
A case in point, the local equipment dealer wanted 35.00 for a standard everyday relay. I asked to see the relay, he showed me the relay in the same package as a local auto parts store. Off to the auto parts store, 3.19 later and I was happy.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah guys, like I said, I'm no stranger to high parts prices. Some parts, you just look at it and say, "that looks expensive".

But an A/C filter/dryer? Really? :mad:

1080 bobcat

Occupation
self employed mechainc
it's seem to me since eq manufacters aint selling eq they are jacking up prices on parts

Cmark

Just put new exhaust manifold gaskets on a Mitsubishi truck.

How about 3 gaskets @ $108.00 each??

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
We had Holt Cat to rebuild a final drive and drive motor on a 325LC.One bit the dust so to be safe the other one went in and gone through.Then a PC270 Kamatsu ha one leaking.Pulled it installed new seals and bearings planetary pins.Don't remember price but the bill for Holt was cheaper.

mitch504

I usually find with Cat parts prices, that if you can get it easily elsewhere, it will be ridiculously high. Frequently, if it is a special part that is used only on that machine, they don't do you too bad. It's almost like they are saying:"well, if you really want to buy this here..."

lgammon

unless you are talking about the pilot controls on the first gen of skids. i messed one up years ago on our 236 after driving it off a bank and crammed the lever to far forward and it pushed the plunger down past the seals and it would creep forward. well went to cat 212.00 not bad bought one installed and was happy. fast forward 6 years both pilot controls start leaking hydro like crazy go back to get two of the and now they are 800.00 a piece??? i had the parts guy look it up and said yea the did cost 212 back then. 400% increase on a part in 6 years?? wtf

EGS

Occupation
Local 139 operator
I had to buy some oil cooler line for a Farmall Super H. It cost $66 for 8".:eek: Yikes!

dirty4fun

I needed windshield wiper for my Case Excavator CX 130, replacement was $ 82.39. Got a new rubber only from auto supply $ 4.42, it took a few minutes to slide the new rubber in as it was a lot wider. The had gotten me once for a seal for my backhoe, so now I ask the price before hand. I needed a new thermostat for my Case 445 skidsteer, they said it only comes with the housing, $110.00. Once you remove the old housing the thermostat is removed by turning it a quater turn. I think they know when you need the machine, and can't wait or spend a bunch of time looking for parts that they can up the price.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
I hear ya ...Willie ..Being the owner of my own repair business makes me the parts man tool lol..When I saw this thread what comes to mind was a recent a/c repair..

Customer calls me about his Kubota a/c compressor locked up . I try to find one through my aftermarket vendors no luck ..Call the Kubota dealer 1100 dollars :eek:...So with more time than money I do so more diggin ..I find one from an a/c company off the internet 380 dollars delivered to my door ...New dryer and expansion valve and flush system labor and all less than the Dealers compressor..

The really sad part of this is that the compressor i bought is excattly what came off of the tractor ...Oh and the company that sold it to me for 380 he made money too ..

Andre Grondin

Hi !

I know about high price on parts too ,
seal kit for traction motor (walking motor) on a 1980 J-D 690B excavator !!!!!
$654,00 each seel kit i needed two ).

love it !!!!

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Yeah, compressors, hydraulic pumps motors, stuff you just know is going to be expensive and have a heckuva markup on them compared to if you could source the part elsewhere. It's frustrating, but you know that's the way it is. Seems I recall Rexroth drive motors for a Bobcat T190 are near the 3 grand mark. And if you have a Kobelco SK480LC with Mitsubishi 6D24 with electronic governor on injection pump, you're gonna drop near 5 grand having that pump rebuilt, and there's not too many folks are capable of working on those injection pumps. :Banghead

I'm just sayin when one of these is a half a thousand dollars :eek:, that's just wrong! I found this one online for 23 bucks.

AC filter dryer.jpg

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
The more i think about this thread the more I realize just how outrageous Kubota parts are ....I did a shuttle syncro in one about a month ago the syncro sleeve a hub 2600 in parts ...:(

WaterDoc

Occupation
Complete water system disinfection services
Alternator went out last year on our '08 sprinter. 250A stock alternator was $1600 at the dealer and 7-10 days to get it. Got an aftermarket 220A for $300 aftermarket. This year the steering rack went south on the same truck. Unfortunately no aftermarket parts to be had. $3800 later and the part was in my hands.

But most expensive should be cheap part that I can think of off the top of my head is the cluster light bulbs from a GMC Topkick. They are 194 peanut bulbs soldered into a little plastic holder that quarter turns into the back of the cluster. They were ~$35 each!

bobin35

Ouch

But most expensive should be cheap part that I can think of off the top of my head is the cluster light bulbs from a GMC Topkick. They are 194 peanut bulbs soldered into a little plastic holder that quarter turns into the back of the cluster. They were ~$35 each!
That would be a PC194 from rock auto.com at .74 each