• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ridiculous parts prices

LWG

Beech airplanes, like most general aviation aircraft, have gascolators, which look like water traps you buy at Lowes for $20 and put on your air compressor. Last time I checked, Beech's price was nineteen thousand dollars, each.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Beech airplanes, like most general aviation aircraft, have gascolators, which look like water traps you buy at Lowes for $20 and put on your air compressor. Last time I checked, Beech's price was nineteen thousand dollars, each.

LWG, aviation is a little different animal. With the liability issues and zero defects concerns connected to aircraft, there's not a single part or component of an airplane that could use the word cheap in the same sentence. :)

DrJim

Occupation
General Dentist, including Implant Restorations
Back when my used 2001 Bobcat 773 was "new", with less than 200 hr, the alternator quit charging. This was way back in 2004 or before. Bobcat dealer wanted $ 200 + for the Denso alternator. At the time, similar Denso alternators were available from auto parts suppliers for $ 125. Went to Quality Rebuilders in west Knoxberg; the diagnosis was a faulty diode trio. Though they stocked parts for Denso alternators, this one had an "OEM" intergral regulator assembly-- more or less a mirror image of the "standard" Denso replacement alternators and parts, probably to keep people from repairing them, forcing folks to buy the OEM from the Bcat dealers.

The repair guy took his pocket knife and split the integral sealed regulator. There was no room inside the part to add anything, so he simply soldered on a generic diode trio, leaving it hanging outside of the now un-sealed regulator. Tested it--it's fine! Epoxied the regulator back together, and the alternator was ready for service. I don't remember what it cost me then, seems like it was $ 16 labor and $ 4 for the diiode trio.

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
16 dollars......wow maybe i'm missin something ....that fella will be in business for a long time ..

it costs me ...more than that to crank my truck ..

chevota84

A guy I worked for about 15 years ago had a john deere round baler, the aux hydraulic pump went bad so he called deere...280$! When we pulled it and started looking at it it was a frickin gm power steering pump painted green, 35$ at Napa. $245 is alot for green paint.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
What's the price without the fat ($$)

A pleasant surprise today. Replacing the 4 tie rod ends on the front end of Dresser today, paid $58 each.:) Back in '06 was charged $99 at the same retailer.:confused: The people at big K who used to supply parts wanted $300 back then! :eek:

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
LWG, aviation is a little different animal. With the liability issues and zero defects concerns connected to aircraft, there's not a single part or component of an airplane that could use the word cheap in the same sentence. :)

I was talking with my father in law who is a pilot the other day about this. The reason why airplane parts are so expensive (for common everyday parts they use) is the part needs the "FAA Approved" label,tag on it. You can imagine how much it costs to go through this certification compared to how many parts they sell. Also it's a "where else are you going to get it" syndrome.:rolleyes:

Willie, I too have found Cat parts to be the most reasonable when comparing it to other brands. Bobcat is in a league of their own when it comes to parts prices...:mad:

A friend of mine busted the bearing on one of the front rollers of his brushcat (Bobcat brand) mower a week or so ago. Bobcat wanted $165 for the bearing....went to local bearing supplier and bought one for $35...

Last edited:

justridinby

Occupation
Earthmoving contractor
I had a friend with electronic problems with a machine he contacted the dealer who quoted $2000 + for the part , luckily he had a cousin who could repair the unit with better quality parts than the originals for $7.50 ,they wonder why people get so mad at their prices .

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
A pleasant surprise today. Replacing the 4 tie rod ends on the front end of Dresser today, paid $58 each.:) Back in '06 was charged $99 at the same retailer.:confused: The people at big K who used to supply parts wanted $300 back then! :eek:

Had another price shock today, one retailer had doubled the price of a set of cutting edges from $70 for a "black steel" 7' x 6" grader edge to $140 :eek:
Went to the local C@t dealer for a price, remembering in January this year DH2 edges were $150 per edge. Today DH2 price quoted at $130 each :confused:. Their "black steel" edges were $76
Maybe price fluctuation over here relates to currency exchange rate :rolleyes:

tctractors

The parts price issue is set at what the market can stand in different global locations, the U.K. parts price is nothing like the price set in Europe, this was made clear to me with the price of a Starting Motor on a truck only the other day, the europe set price was about £180 higher than the U.K. but the biggest pant pulling down outfit has to be Komatsu, the storeman actualy laughs in your face as he tells you the dream land price's of even the most simple parts, the biggest pant pull is on Cummins engine bits as fitted to Komatsu, its average to be double the cost of the item from Cummins, these parts are often easily found after market by quoting the Cummins Part No at about a 1/4 of the Cummins price putting the Komatsu Dream price into a real laughing thing, Komatsu need to be better and fairer to their poor victims.

jughead

Occupation
retired
hey guys it is just the yellow paint that makes it expensive. needed a bearing for a finish mower. cheapest i found was about 14.00 plus shipping which almost doubled the cost. alternator bearing for 1.25 was the same high speed bearing at the local parts store.

steve loving

I think willie59 is dead on cat prices are not as bad as komatsu and deere is high on some things thier bucket pins and mufflers are out there . Cat has them all beat on stock or getting it fast Steve