• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
I've been searching for the ring gear for the flywheel of my Allis Chalmers 645 for over a month now .... and still no results. Would anybody out there have one or know how to find one?
Ring gear part# is 4350235-0 (93 teeth)
Flywheel part# is 4025765-1
Engine is a Allis Chalmers 3500

I would also be open to the option of putting a different ring gear (with different teeth count) that would fit on that flywheel and change the gear on the starter. How would I go about matching that up?

Any other ideas on how to solve that problem?

Tinkerer

Sometimes you cannot just change a gear on a starter to a different size. Doing so can change the geometry of
the starter gear to the ring-gear.
In other words the center line distance between the two gears changes.
If the distance shortens, a lot of stress is placed on the starter gear and the nose it is mounted in.
I found the broken off ends of two armatures in the bottom of a torque convertor housing on a tractor I was working on.
Some dummy had installed the wrong gear on the starter and that was the result.
I knew something was wrong because the starter strained hard when starting the engine.

Jonas302

Minnpar may have some leads

Did they use the same 3500 engine in some tractors and gleaner combines ?

Any chance of flipping the ring gear over I have done that when the damage wasn't complete

Minnpar may have some leads

Did they use the same 3500 engine in some tractors and gleaner combines ?

Any chance of flipping the ring gear over I have done that when the damage wasn't complete

I will check with Minnpar tomorrow
Yes lots of AC tractors had the 3500. The gleaner L series had it too. But they have different flywheels because they have a manual transmission. The AC 645 has a torque converter with a flex plate. The engine we're putting in is out of a Gleaner L2 but the flywheel is an inch larger in diameter, does not fit in the bell housing, would be too thick even if it did fit, starter is in the wrong place and has a wrong bolt pattern

I have thought about flipping the ring gear. I have equal amounts of people that tell me to do it as I have that tell me not to do it. I'm attaching some pictures so you can see a bit of the damage. There are grooves to help it engage on the starter side but not on the backside. Will it still work?

Attachments

• IMG_20210602_094203.jpg
    IMG_20210602_094203.jpg
    652.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210715_162018.jpg
    IMG_20210715_162018.jpg
    768.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20210715_162159.jpg
    IMG_20210715_162159.jpg
    810.7 KB · Views: 23

Mike85

Those look like wear from the starter. It looks fine to flip but check the starter pinion over

heymccall

Just understand, that listing doesn't say "Allis Chalmers 3500", it says "up to 3500 ser no".
Nor does it have the above part numbers.

But, shirley you could get dimensions before buying ;)

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I work at a family owned dealership whom were a former Allis-Chalmers dealer from 1949 till modern day AGCO. There are none of these ring gears left in the system and they checked many NOS, and NS1 supply dealers for me today. That is not saying "Steiner", nor "A&I" might not have one, but we didn't research them.

Tags

I swear, you can find anything! LOL I'm in need of a big breasted bed thrasher. Can you help?

You better be careful what you wish for, I have no doubt he can and will find that for you. I imagine it would be very expensive just for that particular “part” but it will probably cost even more when wifey finds out what you “ordered”…