• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Roading a loader

loader950G

whats the furthest anyone has roaded a loader, we took a john deere 544h about 9 miles down the road after about 7 miles the front axle damn near caught on fire it got so hot it melted the paint off. The rental company is trying to tell me it was my fault for roading it. Just wanted your thoughts on the situation.

Jeff D.

loader950G said:
whats the furthest anyone has roaded a loader, we took a john deere 544h about 9 miles down the road after about 7 miles the front axle damn near caught on fire it got so hot it melted the paint off. The rental company is trying to tell me it was my fault for roading it. Just wanted your thoughts on the situation.
I've roaded farm tractors for 30+miles one way, if anything it did them good. I don't know about loaders, but I'd think they could run them at maximum speed indefinately too.:beatsme

Wulf

loader950G said:

Sounds to me as if there was something was wrong with the brakes like they were dragging or something? I know of loaders that are roaded for 20 miles or more and the only ill effect being that the torque converter gets hot because of their inefficiency at high travel speed. Tires may also be a concern at high speed depending on type but generally they are OK.

loader950G

thats pretty much what i thought i have taken 980's and 988's loader for 20 miles or more because they are so hard to move through the city. the company i work for has a contract with union pacific railroad so we can go along the railroad tracks and make it across town with no problems.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Here in Juneau we only have about 60 miles of highway and I have never seen a loader on a trailer. I road one durning the winter from town to the valley every day which is abot 12 miles each way for snow removal.
eather yours had a draging brake or a bearing going bad.
It shouldnt make any differance weather it works in a pit or on a road job all day nothing should overheat.

loader950G

Wulf said:
Sounds to me as if there was something was wrong with the brakes like they were dragging or something? I know of loaders that are roaded for 20 miles or more and the only ill effect being that the torque converter gets hot because of their inefficiency at high travel speed. Tires may also be a concern at high speed depending on type but generally they are OK.

We found out on a john deere the parking bake is in the front axle and they tend to drag, the valve dosent release all the way. I think the rental company thought they had a sucker on there hands, boy they wrong!

Last edited:

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
The DOT here roads their big Case loader all the time, I don't know Case model numbers, but it's probably equivelant to a Cat 950 or so.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The 938 we use gets roaded anywhere up to 30 miles, after that I will order a float. Its not really too bad roading it that distance but we have a heavy equipment curfew and I've been busted by the DOT once getting an early start...they were pretty good about it since all the lights on the 938 were working and I was getting off to the side to let the traffic past. 7 am sucks though.

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
i ran a couple loaders 15 + miles down the highway in a snow storm, because up here you can't have a lowbed on snowpackd roads. nothing wrong came of the machines. although i was surprised one made it, because ti was an old clunker.

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
drove a 966 from the dealer in fredericton to here, its about a 45 minute drive i think,i road backhoes everyday as well.

littledenny

Occupation
Owner, 2Vets, LLC
Many a moon ago, I roaded an old Michigan loader some 10 miles. (this was a machine with the steering in the rear, combine style, and I don't think it could go more than 8-10 mph. (I was really young and dumb back then.) After fighting the wobbly steering for a mile or two, I got the bright idea that it would probably steer much better if I drove it backwards. And it did. Trouble was, I had a stiff neck for a couple days afterwards. Lessons learned.

Jeff D.

littledenny said:
....I drove it backwards.......Trouble was, I had a stiff neck for a couple days.......
Same problem with rear PTO snowblowers on tractors.:yup

chtucker

I call BS. The loaders around here are NEVER lowboyed. They are driven everywhere. The Street department plows over 20 miles of road with them every storm. The county dept, drives 30 miles with it before they even get to the southern end of the county.

RentalMan

Our JD344 gets roaded every rental and theres never been a problem. Its also commen that the local contractors drive over in their loaders to pick up smaller equiptment like plate compactors and jumping jacks. It looks like the rental company is just looking for a fall guy.:nono

Copenhagen

A fellow contractor here roaded his JD 544 from Grand Junction. Thats about 300 or so miles. It took him 5 days. I have even seen the pictures that he took along the way, such as Vail and the Eisenhower Tunnel.

He went broke in Grand Junction and could not afford to have it hauled out. He even hooked up a tow bar and brought his pickup too!!

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Copenhagen said:
A fellow contractor here roaded his JD 544 from Grand Junction. Thats about 300 or so miles. It took him 5 days. I have even seen the pictures that he took along the way, such as Vail and the Eisenhower Tunnel.

He went broke in Grand Junction and could not afford to have it hauled out. He even hooked up a tow bar and brought his pickup too!!

I guess you have to do weird stuff sometimes but that really is insane.I wonder if he had a catheter strapped on going into a ''Little John'' to relieve himself.:bouncegri :bouncegri .I thought 20 miles roading my TLB was far.

334 lawn co

Occupation
surplusonthe.net equipment auctions
furthest ive roaded a skid was 12 miles in missippi after storms. road our new holland ts 110 farm tractor 2-3 miles every few days.