• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rock busting this way

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
For one of my project I'm doing next month I need about 8 truck loads of boulders ranging about 3' square. I found a stock pile where I can get them for free as the rock quarry wants $33 a ton for shot rock:eek: All I have to do is load and haul. Most of the rocks are bigger than what I need so I have to break them up.

my way of breaking them.
From inside the cab
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=jwtwJkVND2o

From outside the cab

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
I used to do something like that in the quarry I worked in, but I used the loader and sometimes accuracy wasn't the greatest. Also if you look at some rocks you can see the seams in them that you can just smack with a tooth and they'll split easy.

bigbob

I have about 1000 yards of shot rock in York, Me. I am looking to get rid of about half of it . I will load, you haul. Was down sizing some of the bigger "goonies" as we call them to bury for a driveway base. Just watch out for the flying chips hitting your windshield and starting a crack. $33/ton sounds high!

ben46a

33 is way high, we sell that Armor rock for about $3.50 a ton, and blown rock for $4.00. The armor rock that price is just material, we charge by the hour to load it as its trickier. The blown rock is priced loaded on your truck as we can just use a loader.

tylermckee

With the cab all closed up and the radio on, i can hardly hear the breaker on the machine i run.

Watch out for flying rocks breaking like that, i usually swing to the left and throw the rocks into another one, so that by the time the rocks hit shrapnel hits the side of the machine, and doesnt come through my front window. Your rock does look a lot softer than than the stuff i run across though.

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
With the cab all closed up and the radio on, i can hardly hear the breaker on the machine i run.

Watch out for flying rocks breaking like that, i usually swing to the left and throw the rocks into another one, so that by the time the rocks hit shrapnel hits the side of the machine, and doesnt come through my front window. Your rock does look a lot softer than than the stuff i run across though.

It's weird rock, some of the rock a hammer will only poke holes into it as it's a soft material. (their using a hammer on the other side of the job) But this stuff is in layers, if you drop it just right it will make a nice clean brake with little to none flying back at the machine. Come to think of it I piled up and broke about 150 tons a not one chip hit the window.

Dug Overburden

Occupation
trucker
Rock Breaking 101

Watched your video, very clever, you could put a few breakers out of business with that technic:notworthy

For one of my project I'm doing next month I need about 8 truck loads of boulders ranging about 3' square. I found a stock pile where I can get them for free as the rock quarry wants $33 a ton for shot rock:eek: All I have to do is load and haul. Most of the rocks are bigger than what I need so I have to break them up.

my way of breaking them.
From inside the cab

From outside the cab