• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rough running and stalling out under load.

dirtworks01

Hi, We have a TL140 Takeuchi skid steer loader with 2300 hrs on it that has had hard starting, rough running and idling issues in the past. I went through and replaced the main fuel line from the tank to the water separator, then replaced the electric feed pump and associated lines. Changed out the fuel filters and checked remaining fuel lines. I also adjusted the valves. The engine now starts and runs great at all throttle settings including full governed speed. As soon as you load the engine it bogs badly and in the worst case will stall out all together. I have bled the injector lines multiple times and seem to still keep getting air bubbles from them. I must still be getting air from somewhere.
Has anyone had a similar issue with their takeuchi's

Thanks
Dirtworks01.

Delmer

No experience with Takeuchi's but that's a common problem for many diesel engines. Sounds like a blockage on the suction side of your pump: clogged elbow, strainer in tank, foreign objects in the tank etc. One way to narrow it down is to tee in a vacuum gauge at about the middle of the suction side and move it around based on what you find, or run a hose from the suction side of the pump into an outboard motor tank to see if it runs right when you bypass the whole suction side.

dirtworks01

Hi Delmer,
Thanks for your idea, I will try that soon. For some reason the machine runs great at full power and bogs down bad even 500 rpm below governed engine speed. Right now the TK is on the job doing what it's supposed to do, but only at full rpm. it still starts great, but has developed a run on issue when shutting down. Even after letting it idle for 2 or 3 minutes, turn off the key and the engine will run on like a gas motor will and then stop. Lift the idle rpm by as little as 100 or so rpm and it shuts down perfectly. I will list on the forum what i finally find.
Thanks again
Peter.
Dirtworks01.

ctheddy

Unsure about a TK but it sounds like it could be a bad fuel shut-off solenoid. May not be fully closing/opening .

dirtworks01

At this time the TK is still on the job. Starts and idles great but still only pulls well at full power. Take it out of full power even just a little and it starts to run on 3 cyls and just collapses after that. Takes a looong time to come back up when it does lose power too.
Thanks for all the help. I haven't been able to try anything as yet, but I will keep you posted.
Peter.

dirtworks01

I may have found the issues that our TL140 has had. First, the wiring to the shut off solenoid is poor quality and mine was nearly completely broken off at the plug that connects the main harness to the solenoid plug. I re-wired this section and soilid wired in the solenoid and the run on issue is gone. Second, the bogging issue became steadily worse and then the engine would die completely even from full throttle. I ran a heap of clear tubing and installed vacum and low pressure gauges in the fuel lines.
All good on the fuel supply side. Finally after more investigating, I took the main fuel filter assembly out of the fuel system all together and ran a clear hose to the injector pump. I also ran a clear line for the injector return line. The engine sounds like a new one!! Starts great and has been run hard for over 2 hours now and no issues. The problem seems to be that the filter assembly has a shared circut with the return line and the return is letting air into the system. I have'nt worked out why yet, but I will reinstall the filter assembly and leave out the return line. which I will isolate and run a new hose for.
i will keep you all updated as to what else I may find.
Thanks for all your input.
Peter.

Chief Jim

Occupation
worm farmer / American
Hey Dirt, is your TL140 still running strong? We just got a 2005 TL140 yesterday with 3000 hours. It was running great for about three hours today, pushing a 60" brush cutter. All of a sudden, it started to bog down and finally died.
I need a fuel system schematic.
The fuel pump sounds like it is in a strain. I cracked open the water separator a bit and the thing is under vacuum, sucked bubbles up the darin hose. I shut it off quickly. SO, I was on very steep hillsides mowing. Tank debris plugged suction side of electric pump????
I may have found the issues that our TL140 has had. First, the wiring to the shut off solenoid is poor quality and mine was nearly completely broken off at the plug that connects the main harness to the solenoid plug. I re-wired this section and soilid wired in the solenoid and the run on issue is gone. Second, the bogging issue became steadily worse and then the engine would die completely even from full throttle. I ran a heap of clear tubing and installed vacum and low pressure gauges in the fuel lines.
All good on the fuel supply side. Finally after more investigating, I took the main fuel filter assembly out of the fuel system all together and ran a clear hose to the injector pump. I also ran a clear line for the injector return line. The engine sounds like a new one!! Starts great and has been run hard for over 2 hours now and no issues. The problem seems to be that the filter assembly has a shared circut with the return line and the return is letting air into the system. I have'nt worked out why yet, but I will reinstall the filter assembly and leave out the return line. which I will isolate and run a new hose for.
i will keep you all updated as to what else I may find.
Thanks for all your input.
Peter.

Delmer

SO, I was on very steep hillsides mowing. Tank debris plugged suction side of electric pump????

I'd bet on it. You could run a different suction hose from the pump to a temporary tank and see what it does, or pull the hoses apart and see what you find.