• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rt75s

John Griffin

Any good or bad experiences with these? The guys I bought my first tms300 have one they want to sell. They keep up their equipment pretty well and are up front honest folks. We do residential and commercial tree work only at the moment. There have been multiple times the tms carrier was to long or in the way. This past week, the cab was right where I needed to set picks down. A lot of the crane work around here happens in tight back yards and alleys. 4 wheel steering seems like it would help us a good bit. I do not have a low boy or tractor for hauling this. I could get one if I have to and already have my class a cdl. We generally work in a 10 to 15 mile radius from where it would be parked. How bad are these to drive that distance to a job?

crane operator

I have a 40 ton rt, grove 740b. Mid 1990's for age. Its really handy in a tight spot or for getting in a mudhole. You don't want to road it 10 miles. Its not legal because its too heavy for only two axles in my state. Some areas have a "commercial district" and can be legal to drive down the road.

The trans generally won't take it if you have hills, or with extended driving, they tend to heat up real bad. If you get any kind of speed up, they will hop on the tires. I try to get within at least a mile or so of the jobsite if I can. A lot of them don't have great brakes either.

My 700b series is only 10' wide, I think the 75s are 11', that makes it more difficult to trailer and haul around if you have narrow roads. Tail swing on the 75 is 14', so a narrow alley isn't much fun if there's trees/ walls/ buildings on each side.

I did not have a lowboy when I bought my rt, I bought a lowboy and trailer after about 9 months of having it hauled. Scheduling the hauling without my own truck/trailer was a pain.

I wouldn't have a RT as my primary crane in my rental business, its too much of a pain to move. But, as a option in the tool box, I do many jobs with my RT that I couldn't do without a RT.

I've looked at some 70-80 ton Rt's, and they are just too hard to haul around, because of their weight (80-90,000lbs), they require a long lowboy trailer with stinger, and 4 axle truck needed. I can haul mine with a 3axle truck and 3 axle trailer. So pay attention to what it weighs, because it makes a big difference in getting it hauled. Oversize permits are required from my state when I move mine. Not hard to get, it just adds up in price when you are moving it a lot.

If you like your tms300's, the rt's of that era are just more of the same. A great two speed winch, grossly overbuilt boom structure (which is a great safety margin in tree work) , same control layout so easy for guys to swap seats. If its been maintained, they are stone simple and pretty reliable.

They do tend to have short outrigger jacks, and the rt jacks start further off the ground with the big tires, which can be troublesome if its really crooked jobsite.

John Griffin

Thanks for all the info! I've always been around hydraulic truck cranes but never rough terrain cranes. Doesn't seem like a good fit for us as I really don't want to have to low boy it everywhere. Some of the tight areas I was talking about the driveways are to close together to be able to park a low boy. We we have to drop it off then go take the low boy back to our lot. I don't think I can get in and out of the lot with an 11 ft wide low boy. We have the width but I think the width plus the swing room just aren't there.

crane operator

We have to deliver and bring the lowboy back to the shop quite often when there is no place to park. If its a RT job, that's one of the key things, where to drop the lowboy and get turned around. We have a lot of narrow blacktop lake roads, and it limits access. I've actually unloaded, and used the crane to pick up and spin the trailer around to drive back out on several jobs. Sometimes you have to get creative.