• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Rubber tracks in loose sandy soil

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
For those tight space jobs, the smaller minis under 5k pounds sure save a lot of handwork. On our 700 hour Kubota U17 (narrow/wide track machine), occasionally one track or the other gets loaded up and the drive motor wont move the track: usually one direction is affected more than the other. Swinging the house and lifting the track and some operation of the track in the air clears it. The soil moves out of the track in a turn or so of the track and all is good.

Note: This is not due to counter-rotating the turns which would cause this issue certainly. Could occur simply by driving parallel along the toe of a spoils pile. Compacted sand never a problem but loose sand (such as during a job) will be the precursor.

***Using the blade to raise one end of the machine is not sufficient to allow the track to spin. If the blade is opposite the digging, well, yes this could be a suggestion to lift the machine - blade and the boom opposite. Usually find myself digging with the blade at the same end where the bucket is....maybe this is a solution for soft dirt operations?​

The latest event was up against a fence corner and this track stoppaged happened .... couldn't get the track lifted to reduce the load and clear it. Ended up using the arm to pull the machine away from the fence and made a mess in the work area. Previously to this occurance had the machine in the five foot setback tween the house to the fence .... thankfully it didnt occur at that location.

In my JD450G dozer manual, the track tension is to be adjusted by the operator based upon soil loading. Havent read this about the rubber tracks and not wanting to experiment and risk a track jumping off if I try to loosen. A Cat mini we rented on occasion had a tendency to pop off the track regardless of care when doing turns but the mechanics said the track was worn beyond the replacement schedule and they convinced the management to send the machine to the auction. They pointed to the rubber track design and said the inside typically wears before the exterior and should be replaced. Which was an OK explanation because we try to take care of equipment - regardless of who is the owner.

Could be this issue be a characteristic of these smaller machines? Should I dare to consider loosening the track? Dig with the blade opposite the bucket?

skyking1

how does it climb a steep grade in packed conditions? If it pulls OK then this is going to be the condition for you. I suggest that you get 4 rips of 3/4 plywood 4' long and 12~15" and plank your way through areas you don't want to have problems in. It sucks being up against a structure with a bound up track.
This will do several things for you and your machine.
1) less work restoring the area, much less.
2) much less wear and tear on all the track components.
3) it sounds like you would be slower, but the above stuff you will actually be faster. Especially in those odd spots where you have to track material away from a dig where there is no place to set it down.
4) your trench will stand up better. Less hand work cleaning out the cave ins.
That is the beauty of that little machine, the effective size of the planks is small enough to be easy to handle.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The plywood thing works. I think I have laid down miles of it. If you have a thumb on your ex that helps move them. Another pro tip is to hook rope handles on the ends of them. Speeds up moving them. I would also suggest keeping the tracks "a little" more loose. The tighter they are, the less material they can discharge out of the sprockets.

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
This machine climbs no problem up the trailer and up and over etc. But loose dirt binds the track - the plywood strips is a good idea! and much appreciated!!

I sent along some pics.
Blue dash is existing Red dash is new.jpg-Property line cleanout and riser.jpg Five foot setback.jpg-Area where track jammed.jpg
  • Pic w blue and red dash shows blue is existing and red is new
  • White riser pipe is agency required c/o at property line
  • Red dash on side of house in five foot setback where mini did a great job and luckily didn't foul the track
  • Big red circle is where machine was backed into a corner of the fence and track became bound up....

Original problem was sandy soil in the sewer line from gopher that found the cleanout cap missing.

Overshadowing the project was the agency allowing the sewer from each of the units to be on one lateral although prior policy was no more than one unit per lateral. Although if we do want the separate tie in it is OK once we pay the encroachment fee ($$) to the County. Thinking perhaps to not take the option and keep both units on the one lateral.

And also considering addition of backwater valves, one at each unit.