• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

sleddr

This is a great thread - I've always been interested in the history of Madill and the equipment it made. I will try and get some pics together to show off the machines working in the interior of BC.

southview

In august I met a gentleman from May Trucking at Harrison Lake, I understood they had sold off a lot of equipment, but still excist and do timber sales and some contracting out of Hope.

Some of their equipment went through RB here in Chilliwack last month and I see the office and shop have for sale signs in the lawn.....

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Maybe you gentlemen from the north can explain a few things about the differences in the operations between the States and Canada.

The line machines died out down here in the seventies and hydraulics took over everything. I've seen snorkles used down here a couple of times but when shovel logging took over, the only line machines left were with companies that couldn't afford juicers.

Do you shovel log north of the border and if not why? I know you generally use Butt and Top grapples on your juicers and load trucks over the side. How did that come about. For us, grapples were just a natural progression from tongs to line grapples to grapple and heel rack.

Just curious.

trakloader

Maybe you gentlemen from the north can explain a few things about the differences in the operations between the States and Canada.

The line machines died out down here in the seventies and hydraulics took over everything. I've seen snorkles used down here a couple of times but when shovel logging took over, the only line machines left were with companies that couldn't afford juicers.

Do you shovel log north of the border and if not why? I know you generally use Butt and Top grapples on your juicers and load trucks over the side. How did that come about. For us, grapples were just a natural progression from tongs to line grapples to grapple and heel rack.

Just curious.

It all depends on where you are. In the interior of BC, butt and top grapples, tiny wood, small trucks, and side loading are common. On the coast, big wood, huge trucks, and line machines are more common. Line loaders with long or super snorkels can't be beat in many areas. The machine never has to leave the road, so the ground isn't turned to mush under the tracks. The big operations usually run a mix of grapple yarding, hoe-chucking, and occasionally even high lead. A line loader is often kept around for right-of-way wood, or for loading really big logs. Line loaders are becoming less common now, because the operators are all getting close to, or even past, retirement. Young guys have no interest in running something that actually takes some skill. :( It's a shame, a good line loader guy will log cheaper and faster than a juicer in many places. The machines last longer, too. A few years ago, may 30+ year old TL-6's were still going strong in BC. As the operators retire, the machines usually go with them.

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Any of those 124s for sale? If so where and who owns them?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
We lost all the good line operators back in the seventies and early eighties. I've seen old school operators make clutches and brakes last ten years and cradle pups ruin a good line machine is six months.

I guess technology marches forward but it always seemed a waste of resources when a line machine would last twenty years or more and a hydraulic is dead in less than ten. Not to mention how much oil ends up on the ground with a juicer.

Thanks for the response.

trakloader

We lost all the good line operators back in the seventies and early eighties. I've seen old school operators make clutches and brakes last ten years and cradle pups ruin a good line machine is six months.

I guess technology marches forward but it always seemed a waste of resources when a line machine would last twenty years or more and a hydraulic is dead in less than ten. Not to mention how much oil ends up on the ground with a juicer.

Thanks for the response.

You've got that right, I've known juicers to empty their entire hydraulic system in seconds, get stuck in swampy ground, have their tracks fall off, grapples fall apart, etc. Every time, it costs the company a fortune. I've often wondered exactly how great an "advance" hydraulic machines are.

southview

It all depends on where you are. In the interior of BC, butt and top grapples, tiny wood, small trucks, and side loading are common. On the coast, big wood, huge trucks, and line machines are more common. Line loaders with long or super snorkels can't be beat in many areas. The machine never has to leave the road, so the ground isn't turned to mush under the tracks. The big operations usually run a mix of grapple yarding, hoe-chucking, and occasionally even high lead. A line loader is often kept around for right-of-way wood, or for loading really big logs. Line loaders are becoming less common now, because the operators are all getting close to, or even past, retirement. Young guys have no interest in running something that actually takes some skill. :( It's a shame, a good line loader guy will log cheaper and faster than a juicer in many places. The machines last longer, too. A few years ago, may 30+ year old TL-6's were still going strong in BC. As the operators retire, the machines usually go with them.

Well put....even butt and tops require less skill than heel booms and bona fide line winders are becoming a thing of the past. How many 20 or even 30 year old fallers do you know?

I've watched the good guys cast out to end of their mains and place the grapple on a turn at 400 feet. When I started we had (3) 5675's, (1) 075, and (2) 122's. Now just one 6280:(

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Any of those 124s for sale? If so where and who owns them?

Don't tell him!!! there's enough Canadian Iron down under. We may need it here someday. HA ha Ha just kidding but I won't tell ya mate
:beatsme:beatsme:drinkup maybe a nice little 143

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Madill 124s

All good watch those sites every day the one that foresttech has, looks beat up. MLS site only has 120s. I was looking at those photos earlier in this thread of yarders in Terrace there was two 124s parked up does main contracting still have one? If not the one in pemberton no clues who owns that?Can understand it sucks gear leaving the country I personely think your industry gets a raw deal up there...What happened to looking after the contractor and the loggers in the industry it all turned pear shaped..no doubt it will come hear...Things are going strong hear China market booming,how long will it last no one nows.. The last 3 124s came hear i would say there is probably around 13 in the country...

NZLOG

Occupation
Logger
Watching that guy on that line loader hes good beats shoveling hands down...none of those in NZ

trakloader

Well put....even butt and tops require less skill than heel booms and bona fide line winders are becoming a thing of the past. How many 20 or even 30 year old fallers do you know?

I've watched the good guys cast out to end of their mains and place the grapple on a turn at 400 feet. When I started we had (3) 5675's, (1) 075, and (2) 122's. Now just one 6280:(

Yeah, I remember watching the old guys work, some of them made it look so easy. Standing the logs on end, while they slide the grapple down the log to skim off the limbs. Stopping the grapple in mid air, turning it, then dropping it on cross wise logs, jeez! I just laugh when someone says, "Oh, so and so is such an awesome operator, look what he can do on that juicer!" Most people can master hydraulics, because they work at the speed you think, or slower. With lines, you have to constantly think ahead, be totally on the ball. I think that Zen thing would apply: "You must become the grapple...."

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Murk100: Until 4 days ago I had no idea 122s came on rubber. Go to youtube and put in Madill 122 and up will come a video by skadill of a 122 on rubber. My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that. You will be proud to know that that query also brings up your car crushing Madill 044. Do you know if that 6280 at Lake Cowichan is for sale? I think NZLOG is looking for another one to add to his collection of equipment in New Zealand.

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
A few months ago, I visited Bruer Contract Logging near Dallas Oregon. They were getting ready to containerize up a Madill 172 and send off to New Zealand. Took a bunch of pictures of it all nice and shiny ready to go, but I can't seem to upload any pictures yet, guess I need a few more posts. I have lots of pictures from there, other local logging operations, as well as from the Ramsey yard in Chehalis.

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Murk100: Until 4 days ago I had no idea 122s came on rubber. Go to youtube and put in Madill 122 and up will come a video by skadill of a 122 on rubber. My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw that. You will be proud to know that that query also brings up your car crushing Madill 044. Do you know if that 6280 at Lake Cowichan is for sale? I think NZLOG is looking for another one to add to his collection of equipment in New Zealand.

Cool found it thanks!!! I try to make my vids a little different, I'm going to add some yarding vids soon. I think it has sold no idea who owns it. Check the Hayes for sale website.