• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

S. Madill, Blacksmith, Founded in 1911 in Nanaimo BC

Username

Sorry about the double post, submitted it a couple of times thinking I messed up when it was acutually waiting approval.

That was a 171 with a very short tower(!), I first thought it was a 071! Nice.

Lift isn't needed, they run it collapsed. Had it telescoped out when it was being painted.

TorkelH

Madill nomenclature... I see in the brochures that the 122 yarder is designated "Mark 20", the 123 "Mark 20", 071 "Mark 21", 171 "Mark 23", 009 "Mark 20". Can anyone explain this?
Is this something like model A, B, C or something? If they started on 20 the 071 Mark 21 is like 071 B?

Else I would be very happy to get the brochures/specs on the 044 and 144 not to talk about the big Skagits and Washingtons in a readable pdf format (means 100% should be about same size as the real one). My little collection of brochures still remains in my dropbox, free for everybody, at this adress on the net http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8809686/brochures.zip

This forum is not very suitable for copys of brochures. I am member of a Swedish forestry/logging forum and they have a library for upload of brochures, shop manuals and everything else: http://skogsforum.se/downloads.php?cat=3 . If the Swedish language maybe is a problem I can make a common user and password and pm to they here that mean they have something.

I have also uploaded two Madill brochures to this adress: http://skogsforum.se/downloads.php?view=detail&df_id=192

I will scan my photocopied 009 brochure one of the days and put out on the Swedish forum, it have excellent drawings for you model builders!

Last edited:

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
I have nearly everything in terms of brochures and Sales Literature from most of the manufacturers (diesel, not steam). Washington Iron Works of course got thier start with steam, way way back, and I am leaving the steam gear to the steam experts. What I collect is diesel.

I also have a bunch of Madill sales/promotional videos for the 044, 071, 009, 046 yarders and 075 line loder which I had put nicely together on a DVD by a production and film company. Turned out great!

My plan is to put all of the PDF color sales literature from each manufacturer on a CD for each- Madill, Skagit, etc. I'll sell them when finished for a reasonable price- $ 10.00 each or something. The scanning, etc is taking a crazy amount of time!

We have also looked at having a website hosted with all this on it (pictures, brochures, everything) and that could still happen someday.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
I have nearly everything in terms of brochures and Sales Literature from most of the manufacturers (diesel, not steam). Washington Iron Works of course got thier start with steam, way way back, and I am leaving the steam gear to the steam experts. What I collect is diesel.

I also have a bunch of Madill sales/promotional videos for the 044, 071, 009, 046 yarders and 075 line loder which I had put nicely together on a DVD by a production and film company. Turned out great!

My plan is to put all of the PDF color sales literature from each manufacturer on a CD for each- Madill, Skagit, etc. I'll sell them when finished for a reasonable price- $ 10.00 each or something. The scanning, etc is taking a crazy amount of time!

We have also looked at having a website hosted with all this on it (pictures, brochures, everything) and that could still happen someday.

I'd buy one.

DBDLS

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Contract Logger: If you have it available, I'd like to purchase a copy of your Madill DVD.

TorkelH

Contract Logger!

I can only say it's a pity u dont have the scanner the Norwegian government supply me with, its fast and reliable and nice for scanning at least 2 by 2 page brochures. But, what if we, that are interested, just collected some money for you and you delivered the brochures to a professional company and got them scanned, they probably could do a lot for 100$? I gladly pay my share of that amount (let's say 90%)...

Ah, yes, and the DVD, of course I wanna buy one of those too, just tell me the price!

and last, do you know about those Marks on the Madills?

Last edited:

tyee33

Occupation
I have been partners in our family owned contract
I would buy one also.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Don’t let Modern Machinery sell it they want $50 for the DVD

SERIOUSLY??? Haha I made that and gave one of the sales guys a copy! So they're selling them? Figures....oh well, those fellows gave me an awful lot of stuff over the years.

The're also selling reproduction Skagit, Washington, Berger, and Thunderbird hats....I know cause they sent me a bunch of em'. They are nice, I must say.

Dont pay $50 for the DVD, They got it for free (out of the goodness of my heart) and I'll bet they make 25 copies a day for free.......

JeremyM70

Occupation
Electronics Tech
SERIOUSLY??? Haha I made that and gave one of the sales guys a copy! So they're selling them? Figures....oh well, those fellows gave me an awful lot of stuff over the years.

The're also selling reproduction Skagit, Washington, Berger, and Thunderbird hats....I know cause they sent me a bunch of em'. They are nice, I must say.

Dont pay $50 for the DVD, They got it for free (out of the goodness of my heart) and I'll bet they make 25 copies a day for free.......

I want a T-Bird hat, maybe I will wander over to Portland and see if they have any. Put me on your list for the DVD as well.

TorkelH

The Madill 046 Copy - Steyr KSK20

Seems to be quite a demand for your DVD CL!

I will take up again a yarder that was not a Madill but something close to a downsized copy of the 046 made for the central european marked by Steyr in Austria. The engineer's name was Clay Anderson, and he for some reason left Madill and constructed this yarder at the Steyr manufacturing plant.
I have been told today that the Norwegian/Austrian contractor Werner Stumpf went to the West Coast with a machine and did some yarding in the late 80's.

I have recieved some pictures from a gentleman (he's here at HEF as OSCO), working for Opsal Steel, of a new KSK20 in Vancouver in the 80's. He could tell that Opsal manufactured all sheaves, blocks and shackles for these machines.

Mr Stumpf is as far as I know still a large contractor and have a bunch of these yarders working.

Attachments

• p1_phpYsxlev.jpg
    p1_phpYsxlev.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,514
  • steyr1.jpg
    steyr1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1,464
  • steyr3.jpg
    steyr3.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,483
  • steyr4.jpg
    steyr4.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,440
  • steyr6.jpg
    steyr6.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,504

rockhaul

In the Tillamook Division, Their was one of the three big Madill swing yarders, I have several pictures of it working in the big spruce. Also a co-worker hooked on it while it was in operation. The Cape as we called it was plum full of the biggest and best spuce around, and still is a hot topic for discussion today. Will try to post pictures when I get it figured out.

RJE

Murk100

Occupation
30 yrs GY Operator
Model Madill 124

I built this and donate it to the TLA convention in Victoria BC. Jan 19 20th they auction it off and the proceeds go to an education program for troubled teens.
It took about 35 hours to build, red cedar and pine (kinda hard to give away Oh well)
Last year I donated a model 7280 and it sold for $500

Attachments

• S5001840 - Copy.JPG
    S5001840 - Copy.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 1,962
  • S5001832 - Copy.JPG
    S5001832 - Copy.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,003
  • S5001837 - Copy.JPG
    S5001837 - Copy.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 1,947
  • S5001834 - Copy.JPG