• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Schooling?

JD4020

I know there is a similar thread going but I would like to ask a few questions myself. I am a junior in HS and right now most of my freinds are figureing out or have a good idea of where they will go and what they will do after HS. For me, 4 yr. college is out of the picture. I would like to get into the construction industry and someday operate a construction/excavation company, nothing huge though. I have planned on going to the local trade school for the carpentry program, and then going for an apprenticeship program. Here are a few areas I would like more schooling in and I was wondering what you guys think would be the best thing for me to do for schooling
-Carpentry
-Diesel mechanics (Id like to fix my own equipment)
-Heavy equipment operating

Reuben

I know there is a similar thread going but I would like to ask a few questions myself. I am a junior in HS and right now most of my freinds are figureing out or have a good idea of where they will go and what they will do after HS. For me, 4 yr. college is out of the picture. I would like to get into the construction industry and someday operate a construction/excavation company, nothing huge though. I have planned on going to the local trade school for the carpentry program, and then going for an apprenticeship program. Here are a few areas I would like more schooling in and I was wondering what you guys think would be the best thing for me to do for schooling
-Carpentry
-Diesel mechanics (Id like to fix my own equipment)
-Heavy equipment operating

In all honesty I would look into anything "green" or alternative energy. Solar panel work, green buildings, Environmental work, It seemes there is a huge push for it and I dont believe it is going away. :my2c

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Yep, anything and everything environmental will eventually take over. Diesel tech skills are good to have, don't worry about the operation experience. You can get that from starting out in the trench and working your way up, there ain't not school for that. Those operator schools are a bit of a waste of time, better off to start running a pine handle and have someone give you a chance to run a machine, the rest will be history. If you have any grade checking skills, you will be worth your weight in gold, that's something to consider as well. I took a land surveying class at college last quarter, great course. Not quite grade checking, but I learned enough I could check grade pretty easy.

JD4020

This is exactly what I need more info on, I know nothing about grade checking, what knid of schooling should I be looking into for this type of stuff?

Also, I am all for the environment and that green stuff, what could I be looking at in that feild. I want to run equipment, what does this field have to offer?

580bruce

I went to an operating school in Portland in the late `80s.It got me 3 very good jobs in the Seattle area.The last of I stayed for 10 years.

580bruce

Yes it was.Northwest schools I think it was.I saw their ad one night while watching MTV.I was employed running a 580C and a 955.I dont know that I learned that much about operating,but I did when it came to layout and grade

joispoi

Green energy is a good idea (keep in mind that it's only one idea countless other professions that you could get into) You could get into installation of ground source heating and cooling systems. As energy prices continue to rise, there will be a growing market in this field.

You mention carpentry, diesel mechanics and heavy equipment operation as areas of interest. Ground source heating and cooling systems contracting could require the same skills as required for the interests you mention. With a little business savvy, you could do very well for yourself.

JD4020

That does sound like a good idea to me, that is a feild that should continue to grow. what should I consider for schooling for this industry?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Hello JD4020. Some very good questions about your future.

First of all I agree with Cascadescraper that you can learn to operate heavy equipment through the "school of hard knocks". I would consider the carpentry program - depending on course/techinical study. If you learn how to layout a building, foundation, footings, etc - this will get you experienced with lines, geometry and grade. If you can layout a building then you can cut/fill a pad to grade, learn how to set curbs and sidewalks, etc. The equipment becomes just another tool to achieve the finished product.

For a small excavation contractor, smaller commercial site prep jobs can be very profitable. Site work jobs like a Sonic, Burger King, banks, hotels, etc. There is usually some erosion control, demo, grading, storm sewer and a lot of conduit to run - don't worry if you can't do the sanitary sewer or domestic water, what I have experienced the plumber for the building usually has this in his bid. The jobs usually last a week or two, the only problem is waiting 30 days or more for you pay. If you can make it through the first couple of months to fill the pipeline - but then the cash flow evens out (hopefully).:rolleyes: I know that this is getting the cart way before the horse -just some insight for your future, since you stated you wanted to have a small excavation company one day.

Just my $.02 and wish you luck!

joispoi

That does sound like a good idea to me, that is a feild that should continue to grow. what should I consider for schooling for this industry?

Look up ground source heat pumps and get in touch with some manufacturers. Explain to them that you have an interest in the field and would like to learn more about it.

Talk to a few different schools (not just the admissions offices- talk to someone in the department you're interested in enrolling in). It wouldn't hurt to ask your guidance councelor for a list of schools that have programs that would suit your needs.

Whatever you decide to do, take some business courses. Make sure to take a business writing course! The ability to type up a clear and concise proposal in proper English will serve you better than you can know at this time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Whatever you decide to do, take some business courses. Make sure to take a business writing course! The ability to type up a clear and concise proposal in proper English will serve you better than you can know at this time.

Very good advice.

vandamn

Occupation
Labourer
Im going through the same kinda thing Im interested in construction but Im afraid of spending $12000 to take a heavy equipment course and then have to repay a loan but I also heard that its hard to get hired right after taking a course because of lack of experience ....
Alot of jobs are worth money and on a time limit to get done so they want somebody who knows what they are doing
and some guys spend BIG money on their dump trucks and if you clip it when your dropping your dirt thats big money to get fixxed ....so thats why I guess some places are scared to hire somebody fresh out of school/training
Some excavation sites hire you and then pay you a laborers wage and you only work as a laborer and hardly ever get to work on an excavator or any other heavy equipment.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
Have either of you considered a apprenticeship?

The IUOE in Washington has a good program, but is a little hard to get in. If you have someone that is willing to vouch for you and says they will hire you afterward then you get bonus points and can get in easier. I know here they offer these courses and on and off the job training.

Construction Equipment Operator,
Grade Technician,
Heavy Duty Repair/Mechanic Apprenticeship
Hoisting Engineer Apprenticeship

If it was me I would rather do this than pay $12,000 for a school, and this way you get OJT and will have real world experience at the end.

There are IUOE locals in both of your areas, Local 115 in Burnaby, BC, and Local 49 in Minneapolis, MN

JD4020

Local 49!:usa My dad ( I dont kow why) recieves the equipment operators magazine that comes out every month or so, and he knows not to throw it out ( he never looks at it) because I read it! Local 49, or another local Local just built a new training facility with a big indoors sandbox for the real toys.

I guess Im just not sure what I want to get into. I want to get to swing a hammer and use a saw, but I also want to get to operate some equipment. What would this be considered? General contractor?

Turbo21835

I think 150 is the local with the inside playground. As far as run equipment, hammer and saw. Thats what I did as a carpenter. Started out running skid steers and skytracks. Moved my way on to the operating side of things and have never looked back

JD4020

I think 150 is the local with the inside playground. As far as run equipment, hammer and saw. Thats what I did as a carpenter. Started out running skid steers and skytracks. Moved my way on to the operating side of things and have never looked back

Thats exactly what I would like to do, start swinging a hammer, and slowly start operating equipment.

I just watched 49's apprenticeship video, LOOKS AWESOME!

bear

Occupation
Math, Physics, keeping out of trouble and doing od
ok

I originally started as a labourer doing concrete foundation work, used some of the equipment here and there, moved up to a bridge building company as a carpenter operator and moved into cranes and dozers for site prep. Now after several years of work I have gone back to college and am going to get a degree in mechanical engineering because i am more into the other end of equipment and want to make it better. Just my 2 cents. I've enjoyed it all and the only regret i have is letting my job super down from that crane hook after only 5 minutes. :beatsme