• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Screening topsoil

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
I'm not sure where i should have put this thread, but since i was using an excavator today i figure i'd post these photos here.

This is the story- Yesterday my friend calls me and asks me if i can screen topsoil for him, sure i told him. So 7am i get to his yard, and he's got 3 pieces of equipment for me to use, an older Komatsu 150 excavator (with 8034 hours on it),a 544G John deere loader and a read 90 screeener. There was a big pile of unscreened topsoil, and i would take scoops out from the pile, dump it in front of where the excavator was sitting, and then screen with the Komatsu. Due to the topsoil being a little damp, i rescreened the tailings about 3 times and still have a lot of dirt with them. After getting the bottom full of screened topsoil i would scoop it out with the loader and put it in a pile.

Here's the setup at 7am. (loader was in back of me)

Attachments

• picture 027(1).jpg
    picture 027(1).jpg
    60 KB · Views: 8,706

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Here's the Komatsu 150 (35,000 lb machine)

Attachments

• picture 028(1).jpg
    picture 028(1).jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 9,012

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
I was dumping the tailings where the bucket of the excavator is. You can see where they fall off the screener into the hole.

Attachments

• picture 031(1).jpg
    picture 031(1).jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 8,912

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Here's the John Deere 544G 2.5 yard or so loader. Where the loader is now was as big of a pile as is what's to the left of the loader. I screened that whole area.

Attachments

• picture 034(1).jpg
    picture 034(1).jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 8,718

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
This is the last photo. This is a photo from the seat inside the excavator. I screened around 2 tri-axle loads of topsoil today by myself. He asked me if i wanted to work again friday because a customer of his needs 4 tri-axle loads of topsoil. I might have one of my friends helping me, easier with 2 people. Hope you guys enjoyed the photos.

Attachments

• picture 035(1).jpg
    picture 035(1).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 8,648

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Originally posted by BKrois
I screened around 2 tri-axle loads of topsoil today by myself.

You could've probably screened three if you hadn't spent so much time taking pictures for us. It's nice to know you have your priorities straight though. (Good pics for us first, work second...) ;)

A friend of mine that runs a landscape supply yard has a *big* old Bucyrus Erie excavator. There's a problem with the travel that can't be fixed, at least not economically. He drug it up on top of the topsoil pile with a dozer and it just sits there and feeds the shredder all summer long.

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
Originally posted by digger242j
You could've probably screened three if you hadn't spent so much time taking pictures for us. It's nice to know you have your priorities straight though. (Good pics for us first, work second...) ;)

I did not take any breaks today, i had my lunch when i left at 2pm. I worked non stop 7am-2pm. If the soil wasn't so damp i would have had 3 tri-axles loads screened. I screened the tailings 3-4 times and still have a ton of dirt left in them.

Hopefully friday the pile won't be as wet.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
It's funny that you posted pics of your screening work today. I've got about 60 yards of soil I need to screen, but I don't have a screen and don't really want to rent one. Sooooo, I'm going to embark on a winter project to build a small one that will work with my little tractor. I just got back from the Ritchie Bros site in Olympia after taking some pictures of some screens they had to get some ideas on how to build it. Unfortunately, I wanted pictures of a screen like you're using, but they didn't have any.

Now that I know of someone that has a digital camera and a screen, is there any chance I could persuade you to take a few pics of the innards of the screen? I'd be extremely grateful if you could get some of the actual screens and the mechanism that moves them. Pretty please! I promise to provide pictures of my project as it develops.

BTW - great pictures. I wish I could afford a Pete that looks like that.

BKrois

Charter Member
Occupation
Multi purpose
I've seen a few people make their own screening. No sense in spending $90k or so for a Read screener like the one posted. Thomas Equipment sells their machines through auctions. They make a 300 and 400 series screeners. The 400 is around a read 40 size i believe. I was told that the screeners from Thomas go for around 8-10k new at auctions.

I've seen a few people put like rebar or stock metal like 1/4" apart and hook up a vibrator to the screener and it seems to work well for them. One contractor in town doesn't even have a vibrator on theirs.

I'm sure a homemade screener could be made for around $1-2k (maybe less) depends if one hooks a vibrator to it, metal costs, etc.

Good luck with your project, i'll get a photo of the Read's screens for you next time i'm screening. Maybe you could find an used screen off a Read or a similar unit.

DKinWA

Charter Member
Occupation
Biologist and Contractor
BKrois,
Thanks for the ideas. I've got time and steel so now I just need to put a design together.

DR RPM

Occupation
Dirt Flinger
The Read Screen-all is a dual direction screener, which means the screen deck will hold the material on the deck longer to clean it completely, just reverse the lever for screen deck. :bash

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I have used the Reed Screenall and it works great, but due to it's price I wound up with a royer schreader instead. it will do about 10 yd per hour loading with a 1 1/4 yd bucket bobcat or with my Takuchi TB070. and screens down to 3/8" minus

Attachments

• royer 1 web.jpg
    royer 1 web.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 7,951
Last edited:

tom.allen2010

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Try to "fluff" the soil by mixing it a little, lifting bucket and dumping it down the pile. This exposes it to the air, thus drying it, as well as breaks up all those clumps that don't fall through to the fines area.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Try to "fluff" the soil by mixing it a little, lifting bucket and dumping it down the pile. This exposes it to the air, thus drying it, as well as breaks up all those clumps that don't fall through to the fines area.

Funny--I think you might have set the record for responding to the oldest previous post.7 years old.Anyway, just funnin you but I'm glad you posted because I never saw this thread before and I also got to see probably the second oldest Royer model on the planet.I'm quite sure my model is the oldest but it makes a beautiful end product,just a tad slow.

TCS

A good trommel screening plant with a remote controlled grizzly and radial stacker is the most efficient way to screen topsoil. Our McCloskey 512RG will even screen muddy topsoil at a good rate and damp soil as fast as I can feed it with a 3yd loader.
That machine gives me the ability to screen the soil when I want to,leave it in a stockpile off the belt to dry,swing the stacker to make another product,then either fluff the topsoil and load it out or move it out of the way if needed.

Everytime I look at our Reed Screenall across the yard I stop and wonder how we ever made any money with that thing,considering all the extra time and effort it takes,but it does serve a purpose for small onsite jobs.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
A good trommel screening plant with a remote controlled grizzly and radial stacker is the most efficient way to screen topsoil. Our McCloskey 512RG will even screen muddy topsoil at a good rate and damp soil as fast as I can feed it with a 3yd loader.
That machine gives me the ability to screen the soil when I want to,leave it in a stockpile off the belt to dry,swing the stacker to make another product,then either fluff the topsoil and load it out or move it out of the way if needed.

Everytime I look at our Reed Screenall across the yard I stop and wonder how we ever made any money with that thing,considering all the extra time and effort it takes,but it does serve a purpose for small onsite jobs.

I once had a remote controlled grizzly also but she dayvorced me.:D

Last edited:

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Funny--I think you might have set the record for responding to the oldest previous post.7 years old.Anyway, just funnin you but I'm glad you posted because I never saw this thread before and I also got to see probably the second oldest Royer model on the planet.I'm quite sure my model is the oldest but it makes a beautiful end product,just a tad slow.

This is an old thread and the ROYER in the picture is still in use. Along with the 975 bobat and TB070.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
This is an old thread and the ROYER in the picture is still in use. Along with the 975 bobat and TB070.

Hi Dwan.What model Royer is that?Cornelius still hasn't been able to figure out what model I have believe it or not.Mine looks similar to yours but I don't have that guard on the left side.Mine is powered by a Wisconsin 4 cylinder air cooled engine.I use my 36'' backhoe bucket to feed my hopper as that works best because the grizzly bars need some cleaning off after the third bucket.I can get about 15 yds. an hour when dry.