• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers

jyarbrough

Hello everyone. Need some help. I have a Komatsu D20-p that will no longer turn to the left. I have got some help and accessed the rear brakes and adjusted the left side. It still will not turn without tapping the brake pedal first and then it will turn perfect. Should I replace the brake clutches or something? Also had some older folks to tell me to add a washer to the adjustment bolt. Has anyone ever heard this. The right side works perfect. Machine has about 2500 hours. Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks.

GDW

Occupation
farm & ranch
Does it "lug" the engine down a little when you pull the left brake? Could be the steering clutches are not disengaging?

GDW

Occupation
farm & ranch
Thanks monkey. I have no way of knowing if that oil caused a problem or not but, even if it's 10wt, it may have additives that komatsu's don't like. I have worked the little loader pretty hard at times clearing brush, and a few stumps that had it standing on it's nose, but it's strange that it never leaked until right after I changed out the oil. I'm gonna flush the system with 10wt and refill after re sealing the rods.

GDW

Occupation
farm & ranch
Thanks steve, I checked out their website,, looks like a good place to keep in mind. I'll call'em.

jford

I am unable to read serial number on d21p. The plate is located on the right side in front of the hydraulic holding tank. Is there any place else on machine where these numbers may be.
That's all I can read is Model # D21P below that is serial number which is completely worn off due to climbing in and out of machine. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

darinray

Charter Member
Occupation
Owner-Equipment & Parts Sales
jford, there is a serial number stamped in the chassis of the left side looking at teh back of the machine by the hitch...upper left hand corner where the bolts holes with cork are located..... Hope this helps..

jyarbrough

Does it "lug" the engine down a little when you pull the left brake? Could be the steering clutches are not disengaging?

Nope, no lug when i pull the the lever to the left. And there is no lug when I tap the break. Works perfect by taping the break and pushing the lever to the left.

RichardPK

Occupation
Business Manager
Hi guys my D21P-7 has a leak around the lift (primer) pump, it seems that the lift tube rattles loos then fuel leaks up around the pump tube, I assime there is an o ring in there and it is worn, can you tell me how to replace the o ring

Dozer

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi guys my D21P-7 has a leak around the lift (primer) pump, it seems that the lift tube rattles loos then fuel leaks up around the pump tube, I assime there is an o ring in there and it is worn, can you tell me how to replace the o ring

Dozer

Hi RichardPK, not sure what kind of fitting connection you're working with, any way you can post a pic of it?

chevydiggs

ATCO

i am new to the forum but what i have read you have devoted several hours to helping people on here thats awesome, i posted on an older thread that someone started on a D31P-16 engine build cause im new and cant start a thread yet but was wondering about my dozer hydraulic oil, its a D31P-16 as well, i pinched a hydrualic hose and ran a bit before finding and replacing it, added some hydraulic fluid and have only ran it a few minutes to check hose since but i put hydraulic fluid back in it and after reading on here some not sure if that was the right fluid or not, and also wondering if there was a dipstick for the hydraulic fluid or just the bullseye glass below the right arm rest, and at what level should it be, thanks

Frank Dozer

I have a Komatsu D21A-5. Where can I purchase new or used track adjusters complete with springs and cylinders. Thanks, Frank

why165

can someone please tell me what the vin numbers say this dozer it. serial number 62307. i just bought this thing for a really good deal and now i need to know what it is i bought.
thanks
matt

g_man

Occupation
Retired
I have a Komatsu D21A-5. Where can I purchase new or used track adjusters complete with springs and cylinders. Thanks, Frank

I rebuilt the track adjusters on my Dresser TD7G. Komatsu purchased Dresser I believe and I am able to get parts from Anderson Equipment. The one closest to me in Montpelier, VT is a Komatsu dealer. I think they all are. They have a branch in Bangor and a web site. I would try there for new or Nash in Colebrook, NH for used if you are near there.

cblank

I have a D21p-6. The left steering clutch started sticking if I let it set over a week, so I started tying the clutch lever back when not in use. That worked good for a while, but now, sometimes, the left clutch is noisey. If I hold both steering clutchs back at the same time, sometimes I can feel a "bump" every time the left clutch turns a revolution. I know the sticking was probably caused by rust on the plates, but does anyone know what the bumping could be? Sometimes it seems to bind also.
Thanks, cblank

monkey

ATCO

i am new to the forum but what i have read you have devoted several hours to helping people on here thats awesome, i posted on an older thread that someone started on a D31P-16 engine build cause im new and cant start a thread yet but was wondering about my dozer hydraulic oil, its a D31P-16 as well, i pinched a hydrualic hose and ran a bit before finding and replacing it, added some hydraulic fluid and have only ran it a few minutes to check hose since but i put hydraulic fluid back in it and after reading on here some not sure if that was the right fluid or not, and also wondering if there was a dipstick for the hydraulic fluid or just the bullseye glass below the right arm rest, and at what level should it be, thanks

just the bullseye, fill it under the arm rest
the correct oil baffles a lot of people. I run hydraulic fluid in mine and have for years. I believe most hydraulic fluid is 10w. The manual calls for 10w oil, just doesn't say hydraulic fluid. Rightly or wrongly, everywhere I went and tried to get straight 10w motor oil, counter sales people looked at me like I didn't know what I was yapping bout. I called my Komotsu parts guy, he said hydraulic fluid is fine....dunno, havent had a problem yet