• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seeking Heavy Equip Techs - Where to look?

ROCKSTAR

Our company is looking to hire multiple Field Service Techs and Shop Techs and it has been difficult finding qualified applicants in today's market (mainly because they're already employed). Our business has grown, and we need more mechanics. Are there specific staffing companies or recruiters that you tend to use when looking for new jobs? Thanks!

stinky64

Occupation
big truck wrench/fixer of things
And don't forget quality well stocked service trucks and a clean, warm (or in your case cool well ventilated) well lit, well stocked shop. Well we can dream can't we?:rolleyes:

Vetech63

You are having the same problem that everyone else is having all across the country. You are going to have to hire them away from the biggest contractors and equipment dealers. If you are not very well equipped or have sub par facilities....... forget it. Expect to pay upwards of $150K a year for heavy experienced personnel.

Welder Dave

Some of the better shops here were offering a pretty substantial signing bonus for heavy duty mechanics. The stipulation was you had to stay at least 6 month's or it might have been a year. The shop that rebuilt my engine was offering $12,000 if I remember right. My sister's hair salon does something similar. She'll pay for stylists training and send them all over N. America and even to the UK to the best schools but they have to sign an agreement that they will stay for at least a year. If they leave before a year they have to pay back a good portion of what was spent for their training. Unfortunately she got burned a couple times and it wasn't worth trying to get the money back but her salon is known for being the best salon if you want continuous learning. She wasn't really out of pocket that much for the majority of the training because she earns points from the products the salon sells that pay for the training. Some additional training she'll pay out of pocket for but usually only for the longer term employee's. Training in the UK would be a few thousand dollars if the stylists had to pay for on their own. They have to come up with their spending money but my sister will book it for a few extra days up to a week longer if they want to have a short vacation after the training. I think it would be awesome getting free trips to the UK, New York, Los Angeles, Toronto and a few other destinations.

Tyler d4c

I would more then fill what you expect for a wrench.
like I tell every shop that wants me (mostly places I worked at before)
Do I get to take the truck home?
Do I get any days off I ask for ?
Is the money well worth my time?
Is the benefits there?
Do you expect me to only do your work?
Is there enough time left in my day for my side jobs
For me anyhow if it doesn't fit these requirements I'm not interested. Sure other people may have different ones but it all boils down to are you wanting happy employees and not well you get the idea!

Welder Dave

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are. If you have a bunch of demands right off the bat, they might just say thanks but no thanks. It's definitely different if a former employer wants you to come back.

Welder Dave

I'll also add that if relatives of the owner are working on the shop floor, forget it. Been down that road with an owner's kid working in the shop and I'm not dealing with that BS again.
It kind of the same with some shops that have a guy that isn't very good at anything but has been there forever because he's the son of someone who knows the boss or someone else higher up.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums rockstar! Glad to have you.

Moved this thread over to Personnel - Employers seeking employees.

Best of luck!

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
It kind of the same with some shops that have a guy that isn't very good at anything but has been there forever because he's the son of someone who knows the boss or someone else higher up.
Yep. I don't need some fresh out of highschool kid telling me how to do my job when I've been doing the job since before he was in kindergarten.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums rockstar! Glad to have you.

Moved this thread over to Personnel - Employers seeking employees.

Best of luck!

Mistake on my part. Forgot this forums is PM reply only. Moving into general Personnel so members can comment. Please keep any negotiations on a job through PM.

Thanks

Tyler d4c

Sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are. If you have a bunch of demands right off the bat, they might just say thanks but no thanks. It's definitely different if a former employer wants you to come back.
Been in the situation that after so long your to get this that or the other thing and it never happened. From that I learn to get it up front or move along. Of course a happy medium can always be found

Welder Dave

I've been promised things that never came to be. You need everything in writing and a lot times it would really help to have your phone on record so you can hold people to their word. Not just for employer issues. A lot of people conveniently forget what they said especially if it involves them giving you something, especially money.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Rockstar,

Welcome to the HEF. Don’t have any good news for you. It’s going to get worse before it gets worse. Late to the game. The major OEM’s, their dealership networks and trade orgs are 15 years ahead of you.

All you can do, in clown world 2024, is provide buckets of cash, nice service trucks (that can be taken home), vaca, P-card, tool allowance, uniforms, coveralls, and better benefits than the other place down the street. Good luck.

Zewnten

Have you heard back from mechanics you interviewed? Did they respond or can you not even get interviews? From my previous job search most companies were absolute **** shows. Bottom of the barrel pay and benefits for ridiculous job requirements, crap management: incompetent or seeing a mechanic as only an expense, wore out equipment so mechanics are running themselves ragged trying to keep up. But it’s usually pay that stopping applicants.

The place I’m with now advertises the pay scale, we’re constantly having people apply. The side effect is all the mechanics jobs in my area have raised their wages to compete.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Some of the shops in my area are not drug testing for weed anymore in the UA package. In an attempt to help recruit & retain non-CDL positions.