• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Semi truck Import/export Canada to US

crane operator

I've shipped some small items from canada into the states. I'm looking at a truck that's in Canada, its a 1998 KW and it has the epa tag on the engine.

Its more than 25 years old, so I think from what I've been reading, that makes it easier.

Anyone do this with a truck? I know hallback was looking at shipping a yarder down, just wondering if anyone else has any experience. Strong dollar makes things a little cheaper up there. Thanks

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
I bought a used Case ag tractor from Bryans Equipment in puslinch Ontario, they hauled it no problems.

Truck Shop

Export duties, plus done correctly brokerage with all paper work to license in your state.
Some info here. Don't know how Missouri is but Washington State all T's crossed and I's
dotted when importing a commercial vehicle from Canada.

Oxbow

I've shipped some small items from canada into the states. I'm looking at a truck that's in Canada, its a 1998 KW and it has the epa tag on the engine.

Its more than 25 years old, so I think from what I've been reading, that makes it easier.

Anyone do this with a truck? I know hallback was looking at shipping a yarder down, just wondering if anyone else has any experience. Strong dollar makes things a little cheaper up there. Thanks
I bought a 2000 KW out of Manitoba in 2017. It was through a dealer, and the deal was that the dealer brought it into Montana for us. They did obtain a new epa sticker from Cat before taking it across the border. As I recall they charged me around $1000 to bring it across the border. No other fees involved. I can pull out the paperwork to verify this if you would like.

Edit to add: The truck had originally been licensed in Washington state and then exported to Manitoba. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

My banker told me that the wire transfer required a bit of faith as they (my bank) had no recourse once funds were transferred out of the country. We had no issues, but the transfer took a couple of days.

Last edited:

crane operator

I bought a 2000 KW out of Manitoba in 2017. It was through a dealer, and the deal was that the dealer brought it into Montana for us. They did obtain a new epa sticker from Cat before taking it across the border. As I recall they charged me around $1000 to bring it across the border. No other fees involved. I can pull out the paperwork to verify this if you would like.
Thanks for the info- I shouldn't need any more paperwork.

My banker told me that the wire transfer required a bit of faith as they (my bank) had no recourse once funds were transferred out of the country. We had no issues, but the transfer took a couple of days.
I had parts shipped from New Zealand in a similar fashion, life is sometimes about taking chances.

Truck is on a Ritchie Bros auction, and they supposedly are capable of handling this. But in reading the fine print, they sub the brokering out to a 3rd party. Truck would make a great counterweight hauling truck for me, but it has to go cheap to make it worth it. Exchange rate really helps right now.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That truck's a hoss. It should be able to carry a weight or three. Has air to the rear so you could add a pintle and pull a heavy tag trailer as well.

FWIW I've had good luck shipping through Iron Planet which is now part of Ritchie. Nothing out of the country though.

Oxbow

Thanks for the info- I shouldn't need any more paperwork.

I had parts shipped from New Zealand in a similar fashion, life is sometimes about taking chances.

Truck is on a Ritchie Bros auction, and they supposedly are capable of handling this. But in reading the fine print, they sub the brokering out to a 3rd party. Truck would make a great counterweight hauling truck for me, but it has to go cheap to make it worth it. Exchange rate really helps right now.

You darn sure wouldn't have to worry about tearing it up getting into rough sites. That would probably weigh well over 30k though if I were to guess.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
If all else fails, you and I will fly up there and sneak it back across the border in the dark of the night. What could go wrong? We might go to jail but we’ll have some laughs along the way.

Welder Dave

Nisku is 1/2 an hour from me. It's RB's busiest site in N. America so they should be able or have haulers they deal with to look after everything. They will freely give contact info to the consignor. Often better items will have service records and repair work receipts in the office that potential buyers can look at. There's usually a note in the listing catalogue, additional items for this lot in the office. I need to look through that auction to see if there's any attachments or small items I could use.

If you wanted I go there and see if there's any additional info on the truck? I like looking at the massive amount of equipment they have anyway.