• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Seriously upsetting

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Felt this actually belongs elsewhere but still fits here. Several older garage owners I know, a few in Body Shop and Tow industries have been enlightening as to issues that come up. Electric cars are the new doom and gloom for them. One fella has had his own Auto service garage for close to forty five years not too far from here, placed the facility and equipment up for sale wanting to retire. Reduced the price after languishing for four months no offers to a point may just close it, lock the door and pay taxes against declining real estate value, that he notified the City and County he is in as to that.

Current Garage facilities insurers will not touch coverage as to Electric Auto or Truck repairs. He found as have friends with body shops that Electric machines will require massively higher stake conditional clauses and fees, specialized equipment and for body men, Organic Paints and repair compounds. Tire shops are not excluded where Tesla sells the only available tire for their autos inside their shops. To be certified as a Repair shop, the workers will have to have Electrician Credentials, and each Certificate holder Insured by his Own Insurer as to Bodily Harm. One wrecker service was explained to remove any Tesla or Prius or Leaf as well any forth coming machines from their conventional storage lot, would be required to be sequestered from anyone else's machines for liability.

Gas station owners here have notified the City they may decline to make updates as Petroleum autos wane and electrics take over, the few here are not looking to add charging stations either as Costly.

Truck Shop

A repair shop with towing I worked for years ago is in the same bucket. Two years ago he sold both
of his 50 ton towing units. In this case he got tired of doing law enforcement tows, responding to
WSP calls to tow a bagged out semi off the freeway that the owner doesn't want to repair so it's
abandoned, and he is out the money for the tow plus his business is basically a junk vehicle/garbage
disposal for the state. And now with the EV issue as Dave stated above he got rid of 2 other units
plus is narrowing the type of work coming into the shop. He figures another 5 years and he will close
it down.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Several rebuilders are closing was the last conversation we had. The demand for reman engines and trans remains high where decent cores, decent technicians and unable to adequately recoup money as no one wants to pay given expense levels so end up discounting to move aging inventories. Environmental fees are becoming untenable.

Tow shop had a 750 Holmes lattice, a later model tandem hydraulic extend and a Rotator for accident recovery, All are gone, sold to a competitor as just could not manage liability insurance. Still has a couple roll backs but none bigger than pickup truck capacity on bed. Is really spooking many.

Patriot Towing out of Washington MO and I-44 service out of St Clair get much of the tow work. Neither manage to retain drivers very long.

Truck Shop

Patriot Towing out of Washington MO and I-44 service out of St Clair get much of the tow work. Neither manage to retain drivers very long.

When I leave the owner plans on selling the Red, Blue and Yellow-- Super Man. Doesn't want to
worry about liability or just finding someone to operate it. But on the other side of the issue the
new Penske operated shop is leaving a lot to be desired by the non comment look on his face.
When he had the building designed Penske was involved, well it's too short. It has no 100' bay
for tractor and trailer to be serviced at one time. DUMB. A full service is taking 4 hours with no
extras. We use to pull a service on both pieces at one time plus at least one axle of brakes in
a total of 1.5 hrs for both with some tires thrown in. Plus he got conned into paying a flat fee
for labor for each piece of equipment each month. $180 bucks per trailer just for basic grease job,
if the trailer or truck doesn't make it in on time in 30 days he just ate that cost, $33,000 each month.
NUTS.

Truck Shop

One wrecker service was explained to remove any Tesla or Prius or Leaf as well any forth coming machines from their conventional storage lot, would be required to be sequestered from anyone else's machines for liability.

A friend in the towing business here has already made a separate area to hold EV's. I didn't ask if it
was state/county/city or insurance mandated.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I'm just a test or two away from being certified to working on EV's, already know their systems. I seen this coming a bit back and have been digging in to get ready just in case.
To diagnose today's vehicles your need to be a tech, same with semi's and with already experience in it and there is training programs online might as well divulge in it too.
Times are a changing, you are either in or out there is no stopping it by yourself..

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I remember years ago the statement {Get involved with computers or become a professional at raking leaves}.
Been slapping a keyboard the past 37 years, so I'm set there. BTW I did that Bendix program got my cert online from them, wow they are eating that up at my new job along with knowing ARCOM program and others they have such as Cummins INSITE. They act like I invented the wheel.

Truck Shop

It will be until you get into it. There just too much to know and keep currant because of constant
updates. Just the recall list for PacCar and Freightliner is huge, just about the time you think you've
got a handle on it they make a major change. A top Freightliner mechanic I know says he has to
spend X amount of hours on his own time to keep half way currant. No body has a edge in this game.

But good luck on your job.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
It will be until you get into it. There just too much to know and keep currant because of constant
updates. Just the recall list for PacCar and Freightliner is huge, just about the time you think you've
got a handle on it they make a major change. A top Freightliner mechanic I know says he has to
spend X amount of hours on his own time to keep half way currant. No body has a edge in this game.

But good luck on your job.
Thanks,
I don't plan on having a edge, I just plan of having a finger in the pie so at anytime I can jump into the field or leave for a bit and be still relevant when I come back.
Don't want to be the carburetor mechanic trying to convince a automotive repair shop for a auto tech job that I know my schit cause I can tune a carburetor.

MG84

I personally don’t think the whole EV thing is going to take off as quick as many are hoping/portraying. Sure there will be more of them every year, but it will still be a small minority of vehicles on the road. Your just not going to change 100+ years of petroleum technology and infrastructure overnight.

In my opinion EVs are still just a ‘feel good’ purchase for most, not really practical for wide scale use. I don’t know if I’d go as far as to call them a fad as one day they could be the primary mode of transportation, but I think that is decades in the future. We as a society tend to think we are further advanced then we really are. There is a whole host of environmental, manufacturing, and infrastructure related problems with EVs that no one seems to want to talk about.