• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Service truck and towing 26K... Cummins 5.9 or 8.3 which one should I buy?

mebedave

I'm looking to upgrade from a one ton service truck to a Freightliner FL70 the truck will be more less a big tool box with a flatbed, but I want to be able to tow a 26,000 lbs trailer some times to haul (at the same time) a Mini ex35 and a skid steer loader both about 8500lbs each. I'm looking at older mechanical Cummins 5.9 or the 8.3 I've only been able to test drive them empty. I believe the 8.3 would be the best choice (hard to find!) but I don't want to over power it and make the truck feel heavy, trying to keep it lightweight kinda like a one ton truck but just a little more brakes and power . The 5.9's I drove seem to have lots of power but I fear by the time I load it down with lots of hand and power tools tool boxes, flatbed and then hook up to the 26K trailer it may be under powered or over worked? I want it to be a manual trans, most used trucks have a 5 spd with no split rear end that may work ok with the 8.3 but not the 5.9 I think the 5.9 may need a spliter or at least a 7 speed? What's your thoughts? Anyone own a truck like this that's a tool service truck and tow heavy? The truck will not tow every day that 26K most the time I only need one of the machines so It will tow a lighter trailer about 12K. I need to tow about once to twice a week to and from job sites within 50 Miles of home.

Thanks!

JPV

I drive a KW T300 service truck that weighs about 25000 that has an 285 horse 8.3 in it. It has an 8 speed with 3.90 rear end gears and can pull a 7% grade at 40-45 mph in 7th. It has plenty of power although I have driven a 240 horse version that seemed gutless. The 5.9 is an awesome engine but I would go with the 8.3. If you do go with the 5.9 you will want plenty of gears I would think.

mebedave

I drive a KW T300 service truck that weighs about 25000 that has an 285 horse 8.3 in it. It has an 8 speed with 3.90 rear end gears and can pull a 7% grade at 40-45 mph in 7th. It has plenty of power although I have driven a 240 horse version that seemed gutless. The 5.9 is an awesome engine but I would go with the 8.3. If you do go with the 5.9 you will want plenty of gears I would think.

JPV do you ever tow with the truck? Do you know what the truck weigh empty, no tools? Do you have a crane,welder,gen on that rig?

Thanks

Last edited:

JPV

I don't tow often but when I have it has been in the 12000 lb range. The truck handles it easily, I think it would be comfortable pulling what you are wanting to. It is rated at 33000 gvw, weighed 19500 when I got it. It has an IMT maintainer bed which is heavy with three 45 gallon product tanks, welder, compressor and 6000 lb crane. With oil tanks filled and loaded with tools it weighs around 25000.

mebedave

I don't tow often but when I have it has been in the 12000 lb range. The truck handles it easily, I think it would be comfortable pulling what you are wanting to. It is rated at 33000 gvw, weighed 19500 when I got it. It has an IMT maintainer bed which is heavy with three 45 gallon product tanks, welder, compressor and 6000 lb crane. With oil tanks filled and loaded with tools it weighs around 25000.

Thanks for the info you have helped to confirm what what my gut feeling was telling me, I'll go for the 8.3 !!

JPV

I would, they are good engines. I am a pretty big fan of Cat power but the 8.3 is better in a truck than a 3126 I believe. Mine gets between 8 and 10 mpgs depending on what I am doing, would love to try shove one in a pickup but they are a little to big!

nowing75

I'm thinking 26,000 trailer would be a bit much. I have a 06 t300 with the 8.3 and 6 speed manual trans. I have hauled a mine with it but not thinking I would want much more. Think I'm about 28,000 lbs just the truck with welder crane and lube skid.