• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Setting beams

BLASZER

Occupation
Local #17 union operator
My pics of setting an80 ton beam in N.collins NY...There were 12 of them 144 feet long 6 1/2 feet wide, 7 1/2 feet tall .
boomup.jpg

Last edited:

qball

Occupation
local 150 operator
ya' gotta love the table top controls.

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
518, is that a linkbelt Lashlander? How many ton crane and parts of line?

Lashlander

Our 518 is rated at 150 ton and has a 6 sheave tip. With a whip line you can have 10 parts of line. Our 150 ton DR Johnson block has 5 sheaves. We run 4 parts unless we have a pick we need more then we rig it accordingly.

BLASZER

Occupation
Local #17 union operator
Yep, its a Link Belt...150 ton crawler....I dont remember, either 5 or 6 parts of line....It was a tandem pic with a 300 ton hydraulic....He would set it on the slider beam and shoot it across...Then he would regrab it at the opposite end and I would grab it while swung off to the side....Then I would swing perpendicular with the beam and walk 30 feet to the furthest point on the pier...Pictures will clear it up a bit....I need to get onmy other comp to post more pics.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Not 100% sure if these are ones but at least it gives the dial up boys a chance.

2008_05.jpg

2008_06.jpg

2008_07.jpg

BLASZER

Occupation
Local #17 union operator
Yeah baby! Thanks Rob....As you can see, I had a front row seat to see the beams....I couldnt sleep for a month before the week of the pics! Any q's , I'll be happy to answer! Steve

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
Ol 519 is a man

Hi All, I've run many 518's over the years and they are sweet machines when there running good and adjusted right. They are a man. Right now I'm running a 200 ton linkbelt with a luffer. Sweet machine.

DSCF1575.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
Right now I'm running a 200 ton linkbelt with a luffer.

Now thats what I call a crane, you aint bragging with a handle like that :notworthy

I'll post the picture as a lot of guys have dial up and have difficulty viewing the pictures.

DSCF1575.jpg

Last edited:

Dualie

wow that's a damn nice red iron project. im jealous of your lay down shake out area. the last 10 jobs I have been on their hasn't been any lay down at all. trucks bring in that days iron as needed when needed strait from the fabricator

Longboom

Occupation
Crane Operator/ Sawyer
Ditto

:usa Yeah Man, I know what you mean Dualie. This was a rare one. As soon as we got done with this building we swung around and did another one right behind the rig. Did two 10 stories with penthouses in just under 6 months. I've been with this outfit for the last 9 years, but I'm bout ready to cut'em lose. They started small and now there so big they have me living out of a suitcase about 85% of the time. I like my house and prefer to live there. If the next job is out of town,........... They might have to find'em a new man or at least come up with a little more insentive. :drinkup

PS Hey BLASZER, Sorry about stealing your thread didn't mean to do that, Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

fensoncont.

Excellent pictures! Very cool seeing bridge beams set like this, very cool.

In the second picture, what is the steel structure on this side of the bridge being constructed? What is it used for? I've heard the term 'Support Structure' - is that what this is?

Also, I was curious on forming the bridge deck. I remember learning that a 220' bridge, that was 40-50' wide took 4 laborers and 4 carpenters 2 months to form the deck and the overhang. Also, how long does it take to remove the lumber under the deck that was used for forming? Can that be reused on other bridge decks or is it basically ripped out of there?

Thanks for your help and I hope to see more great pictures from you!

insleyboy

Occupation
Operator 25 years, was laborer for 7 years
Well my answer may help you fensencont. These days lumber to support a bridge deck is nearly obsolete. Metal decking was the new way to deck the deck so to speak, at least it was 5 years ago when I worked in that field. In most cases the concrete beams were set. Small metal tabs were poured into the beams. Angle iron can then be welded to both sides of the beam and act as a whaler. Metal decking is then welded over the angle and your deck is then poured. The decking stays under the bridge for the life of the span and will actually work as a deterrent or a safeguard from spalling or rotten concrete from falling off old decks. The old plywood plus wood whaler, false decking ... Yes it was a tremendously long process to deck a bridge. Then to remove all this lumber you had long hard man hours, many lane closures...exc... The lumber was ok, but after a few re-decking and stripping procedures, much of the lumber will be too chewed up from the stripping mostly that all it was good for will be false decking. Hope that helps ya out!

fensoncont.

Yeah, that helped me out. Thanks! Some projects here in Ohio ODOT will not allow SIP Forms. The bridge I watched being poured I think still utilized lumber.

BLASZER

Occupation
Local #17 union operator
We call them erection towers.The slider beam sets on the sbutment on one end and onthe erection tower on the other end.....The first crane sets one end on the dolly which rides on the slider beam....He then regrabs the beam at the other end and sends it across where I would then grab it.....When its time for the last beam, We slide it across, then stack it up on the previously sae beams so we can remove the slider and towers....Then place the beam where it belongs.....For forming.....These were concrete beams so galvanized pans were placed between the beams ...They stay there.....Timewise,It all depends on if you include the sbutments, sleeperslabs, and approaches.....I'll loook through my records to see how long it took....Steve