• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Shallow well with a skid steer.

stefuel

Prior to buying a skid steer, I have made many attempts to "drive" a shallow well point on my land with no luck. I am told I have plenty of water at the 20 foot mark but have broken at least 3 points trying to drive through a nasty band of clay at about the 10 foot mark. Curious if anyone has had luck drilling a 20 foot hole with a skid steer???

Delmer

I've got a hand auger post hole digger that would do 20' with enough pipe extensions. For a clay layer, I'd jet through it with a water pump attached to a pipe. If you have sand above, you'd need to use a clay or cement if you're augering a hole, if there's sand in the water level, a driven point will work, or you could try sinking a screen as you go, but that would be tricky.

stefuel

There is a place local that rents skid steer attachments. I was thinking the smallest bit they have along with 4-5 extensions would do it. Just curious if anyone here had actually done it.