• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Should I buy a Case 440-3 with some corrosion?

BeenLookin

Hello all. I am new to the forum and would appreciate your advice.

I am looking to purchase a 2011 Case 440-3 with only 600 hours. Cab with A/C, 2-speed, and ride control. Price is $33k.

Previously owned by landscaper but being sold by used equipment dealer now. Always stored indoors. Original paint and condition is about as good as it gets for this age. Fires up fine and everything looks good.

The only thing that bothers me is when I looked through the side grill plates near the bottom of the cab at the back where the boom is.

You can see corrosion on the injector pump, metal hydraulic tubes, and other from when the landscaper pushed snow and some snow/salt got in there. We tried to tip the cab but was so heavy we couldn’t get it far enough so I wasn’t able to get a closer look.

I have to make a decision's now and can’t go back to look at it again. Is that corrosion minimal and still worth buying the machine or will I have to deal with a nightmare of replacing the injector pump and a bunch of rusty hoses or worse in the future?

Engine from engine bay in the back looked fine behind the doors. It is just what is under the cab that I can’t see that worries me. Do I need to worry about corrosion on hydraulic drives?

Please look at the pictures. Worth the price? I have included a few pictures of what I could see on the inside. Your help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6110.png
    IMG_6110.png
    6.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6111.png
    IMG_6111.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6112.png
    IMG_6112.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6113.png
    IMG_6113.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 18

BeenLookin

More pics attached

Attachments

• IMG_6099.png
    IMG_6099.png
    4 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6101.png
    IMG_6101.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6102.png
    IMG_6102.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6103.png
    IMG_6103.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 25

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums BL! Glad to have you.

IMO - RUN don't walk away from that machine. That machine is nothing but heartburn and heartache that will drain you wallet.

BeenLookin

CM1995, thank you for the reply. Are you saying that because of the corrosion stated or because you think the Case 440 is a bad machine in general? Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_6104.png
    IMG_6104.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6108.png
    IMG_6108.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6109.png
    IMG_6109.png
    5.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6106.jpeg
    IMG_6106.jpeg
    215 KB · Views: 10

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
CM1995, thank you for the reply. Are you saying that because of the corrosion stated or because you think the Case 440 is a bad machine in general? Thanks again.

I would stay away from this machine due to the corrosion, Case makes a great SSL and CTL. @KSSS runs them and will know alot more about the brand and the specific models.

Sent a 533 roller and D5G dozer to the Gulf Coast many years ago for a couple of month project. The project wasn't on the beach or near it IIRC 10-15 miles inland. The salt corroded all sorts of stuff.

In addition to many metal hydraulic lines and fittings that rusted away we had to replace the entire fuse panel on the roller. Still have both machines however I think we have worked through all the overly rusted stuff.

This machine isn't worth the hassle IMO.

Tyler d4c

For the price run. For 10 grand (or so) buy it gut it some sand blasting and paint it will be ok. Not for 33 grand tho. Any machine around here that the owner even thought about loading salt with looks like that.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am guessing that the machine was used to move snow and got drenched in snow containing Mag Cloride or Salt.

The 440 itself is one of my all time favorite CASE skid steers. Big power, medium frame, two speed and being a Series 3 (must be one of the last ones built) it has pilot controls.

That corrosion is pretty bad. The rest of the machine looks as good as you could expect. It would be worth 33K if it wasn't for the corrosion, however if you ever have to turn a wrench on those areas with
the corrosion you will cuss.

BeenLookin

Thank you all for the replies, it is much appreciated and you saved me from making a $33k mistake. I took your advice and passed on the machine. The search continues…

Georgia Iron

Occupation
Concrete building slab and grading contractor
I owned that same machine and it was a good machine, i wish i had another one in good condition.

I would load the bucket all the way full, get in some really deep loose dirt and the lower the idle to low and see if it will turn or bog down and die while under weight and in the dirt. If it doesn't kill it it is fine. The misc rust on parts can be replaced or cleaned, a light oil spray on some of those parts will slow down and stop the corrision.

You can offer 28 or 29k to cover replacement parts if the motor and drive is strong.