• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

"Shrinking" Mini Excavator - too wide for boat

thesanchez

I have a CAT 304e2 which is 77" wide. I have to haul it up river on a boat with a 70" ramp. I'm going to remove the blade and maybe the dipper/boom. Short of buying a smaller machine, any ideas on how I could shave off 7"? This is going to be a once, or maybe twice in it's life move, so I'm not concerned about how much work is involved with taking it apart, and putting it back together. I'm considering cutting the tracks length wise which should give me right at 7" total between both sides. I'd then bring a new set of tracks with me. Any other ideas?

The boat has a V-haul so I don't think I could get the machine on one track and work my way in. I do need to be able to track the machine in and out on it's own power.

Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 12.44.40 PM.png

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Will that boat carry a 304E? Does the machine have a QC and will the buckets go separately?

Interesting not doubt.

crane operator

Have a good welder widen the ramp, and modify the boat for the wider ramp. Looks like just a aluminum boat, shouldn't be hard to weld up.

Alternative #2, put the mini on a "barge" made from a old pontoon boat or something and tow it with the boat. Because I'm like CM1995 and somewhat skeptical that the boat can handle a 8,500lbs mini.

But I can't see the whole boat in the picture.

Pixie

Occupation
remodeling
Jack up the back of the boat ( or hold the front down) and drive over the closed ramp ???

And, ya, doesn't really look like enough boat.... do you want to take that chance or find a bigger boat/smaller ex ?

thesanchez

The boat will carry the excavator weight wise no problem - I'm going to take off the counter weight and the dipper and shed quite a bit.

skyking1

leave the stick and bucket on.
make a yoke out of timbers to stabilize it, and tow it behind you when you motor out. Put the timber yoke on the ramp.
Tie it up to the dock, remove the track on the side away from the dock, and paddle walk it on with the stick. it would rest on the timber yoke and cushions where you are bearing all that unbalanced weight on it.
Tow that timber yoke out behind you.
Push the timber landing yoke out in front of you onto the beach or ramp when you arrive, and then nose up into that. paddle walk the hoe off again.
Somebody stays on the throttles and pins the boat into that yoke.

crane operator

Just to satisfy my curious nature- how far down the river/ lake are we going? What's the budget? And why aren't we trucking it there?

I know they helicopter some mini's to remote locations.

BC Placer gold

Just to satisfy my curious nature- how far down the river/ lake are we going? What's the budget? And why aren't we trucking it there?

I know they helicopter some mini's to remote locations.
Flat water?

We had a tiny machine (Kubota 007) that the previous owner long-lined with a Hughes 500d in order to build trails for parks Canada. They also slung in a couple of drums of fuel; set the operator up for a fair bit of trail building.

BC Placer gold

Flat water?

We had a tiny machine (Kubota 007) that the previous owner long-lined with a Hughes 500d in order to build trails for parks Canada. They also slung in a couple of drums of fuel; set the operator up for a fair bit of trail building.
seriously, I'd take a JD 26 or 30 and forget the 40. I ran a new 17 last year and it was surprisingly nice.
Agree, the 17’s are really capable for the size. Proper pilot controls as well.

skyking1

a 30 would drive right on that boat no fuss or muss, and probably not bend the ramp. Probably.

crane operator

2001 Custom landing craft​

$340,000
Listed 24 weeks ago in Bellingham, WA

Seller's Description​

Commercial or personal landing craft! This vessel has been working the Puget Sound for 20 years and has a huge customer base with a wide range of diversity. If you have ever wanted to make a living on the water there is no better, more rewarding and fun way to do it! This landing craft cruises at 20kts light and 8kts loaded, extremely efficient and stable. LOA 48' Width 14'

landing craft.jpglanding craft 2.jpglanding craft 3.jpglanding craft 4.jpg