• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Silo demolition advise needed

itsgottobegreen

Some where on TV I saw a show called construction disasters. They showed a guy running a case craweler loader with a 4n1 bucket attemped to push a silo over. Only to have it fall back onto the machine. All you see is him jumping out and running like hell as the silo falls on the case and wrecking it.

MVFD

If you end up using a manlift, I dont recommend going up with even the slightest breeze. atleast when your 35+ FT. I ran one a few summers ago for a few weeks while I was working on condos framing, and they are great but very scary at times, I see some guys move them around while extened... I would much rather go down move then extend up again. mind you I hate heights as it is.. that Manlift also went 65ft. sure is high when your up there.

Dont look down! :bouncegri

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
If I really had to take those down without a demo expert putting a couple of shaped charges to the base; I'd work two teams in cherry pickers to carefully knock 20 odd ft off the top, then I'd hire the biggest excavator I could get, preferrably long reach, and have it tickle away at the top and knock it down steady steady. I wouldn't try and pull the whole thing over with the excavator.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
Is it brick or concrete it looks like brick if so it will be fairly easy to bust up if it was formed concrete with rebar it would be a bitch to break up.

There will be no cheap way of doing that job you prolly could spend hours on end busting it up by hand and pushing it into the middle. Depending on the thickness you can take a gas powered chop saw and cut large chunks off and use a crane to swing the chunks down to the ground.

I don't know if I like the idea of trying to fall them like a oversize tree that would be pretty risky.

The other option is a crane with a wrecking ball but that won't be cheap either.

Your last option give these guys a call www.pacificblasting.com

dayexco

these silos are made out of a concrete block, approx 2 1/2" thick, 10" wide, 18"-2' long. they snap easy, they fall easy. like i said, i've dropped a few of them, but if the owner elects to mobe in a huge excavator or boomers....let him do it, i don't think many of you know exactly what type of a structure these are. after the first one, i don't think we've ever taken more than 20-30 mins. to have it laying on the ground, there's really nothing to it

buffalo man, it's been my experience that at least 50% of the block will be good as new

xkvator

as close to the other buildings they are...i wouldn't try knocking out the bottom blocks and hoping they fall where you plan...Murphy's Law.

how about making apartments out of them...extra income for the farm.
i saw that on one of them shows my wife watches.

using an aerial lift and knocking off a row at a time of would seem to be the best idea so far
I train aerial lift safety - you'll need a lift for rough terrain conditions - read the op manual...

dayexco

that's one way to look at it i guess...you definitely shouldn't do something out of your realm of expertise or comfort level. other than cleanup, i could have it down for the price of a stihl chop saw blade, and about a qt. of gas. BUT, if you've never done it, seen it done, aren't comfortable with it, most certainly bring in the big guns.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
What Dayexco said

Buffalo man--If you do what Dayexco said,that will definitely work--I would add though to get a good size excavator to reach up as high as possible and push--it's simple geometry--positioning is everything.Just to get rid of the tummy quivers though,I would start pushing real slow,just like a big tree and you'll know in a second if its going to work.If that hinge is correctly placed,it should be a piece of cake--the worst that can happen is the silo would come straight down,the operator and rig will be unharmed,the operator might need some new drawers though--good luck--wish I could be there--love demo work.:thumbsup

dayexco

you don't need the excavator pushing, it just lays over, and the steel bands around the silo staves above keep it somewhat in one piece until it hits the ground.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
dayexco said:
i live in south dakota. i've taken down probably 20 silos...DISCLAIMER!!! THIS HAS WORKED WELL FOR US, BUT DO NOT SUGGEST ANYBODY ELSE ATTEMPT TO DO IT. what you need to do is take a chop saw and cut the bottom steel bands that you can reach without a ladder. whatever direction you want it to fall, you take two guys with 8 lbs. sledges...start with the block at waist level in the direction you want it to fall. all you need to do is crack/displace them, both of you work your way out. typically only have to crack 10-12 block, and it'll go over like the the leaning tower of pisa with very flew block busted. LIKE I POSTED ABOVE!!!! I AM NOT SUGGESTING NOR RECOMMEND ANY OF YOU TRY THIS UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN IT DONE, OR HAVE DONE IT BEFORE!!!

This is the only way to do it, the last thing you want is that dozer anywhere around that thing. I would almost bet if you paid someone to do this they would do it the same way unless they just like to blow stuff up.

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
Looks like it is time for dayexco to take a little trip. Transportation and wage for a day would be well worth it to have it done right.

buffaloman

atgreene,
I like your idea, but how 'bout I grill up buffalo burgers for all!
Sure are a bunch of great guys on this forum. Too bad they are spread out all across the globe. Would be hard to get them all together at my place in Iowa for a demolition party, but the grilled buffalo burger offer stands if anyone wants to come by.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Hey, Squizzy! I saw some stuff this weekend that might help out with this job. Lemme know if you think this'll be enough...

Attachments

• P6030022.JPG
    P6030022.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 501

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
digger242j said:
Hey, Squizzy! I saw some stuff this weekend that might help out with this job. Lemme know if you think this'll be enough...

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...Thats equivalent to enough Gelignite to turn that silo into a space shuttle.

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
Dayexco--Are you saying you're inside the silo knocking out the blocks and you casually{or not} work your way out while it starts falling?Am I missing something here or do you just have the biggest cajones in S. Dakota?

tylermckee

tuney443 said:
Dayexco--Are you saying you're inside the silo knocking out the blocks and you casually{or not} work your way out while it starts falling?Am I missing something here or do you just have the biggest cajones in S. Dakota?
I fugured he stood outside and bashed the blocks. you couldnt pay me enough to do that from inside.

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
What do you think of this method? Anyone got a .50 Cal? Looks like fun, but I definitely wouldn't recommend it.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3