• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Simple Gear Box Oil Recommendation

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
A couple of simple gears in an iron housing. 2400 RPM 1800 RPM out. Manufacturer is not much help. They specify 80W 90 with .05 gal "enhancer". I don't think we are going to get much more from their support clowns. Enhancer makes me think limited slip modifier, but why would that be needed in a simple gear box? Should we use 80W90 clear transmission oil or stinky rear axle stuff?

Welder Dave

Could the enhancer be something like Lucas oil stabilzer? Not sure but they might have a gearbox additive too.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
We run a lot of Mobile SHC gear oils in industrial boxes.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
As far as the clean or stinky stuff, I'd base that off of what gets drained out. My money would be on the "enhancer" being along the lines of the Lucas stabilizer demoed on auto shop counters. Probably just an additive to keep the gears lubed for the extended sit time being on standby.

Only seen one of those units in the wild, and was chasing an electrical issue on a new install, never got to the point of messing with that gearbox.

MarshallPowerGen

Occupation
Generator Technician & Equipment Mechanic
Had this come up. It is Lucas stabilizer.
284379020-10166380973190026-7862446796255708319-n.jpg