• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

single or twin engine??

nu-way9

My family owns an excavating company in central ohio and we are trying to decide between buying cat621 or 627 scrapers,I'm pretty much aware of the pros and cons of both I just would like to hear some others views.

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
My family owns an excavating company in central ohio and we are trying to decide between buying cat621 or 627 scrapers,I'm pretty much aware of the pros and cons of both I just would like to hear some others views.

Hard to say without knowing the terrain or even the weather in Ohio ? Off the top of my head I'd say to look at what other outfits are running for equipment .

Most companies have both , and for various reasons . Experienced hands on 27's can move more then 21's in similar situations , but finding those hands can be pretty tough . A lot of companies I've worked for have used both types just for that reason . They train and mold you running 21's , and then they move you up to the 27's if you ' graduate ' :thumbsup
Also , some outfits I've worked for didn't want the dozer , but when the frost hits ( around here anywhere around October or November ) you'll need one to do the ripping anyway .
It really is a tough call . If you already have a dozer in the fleet , I'd go the 27's route and find some good experienced operators .

Again , a lot of it depends on what types of dirt you typically move and your local conditions .

just my Loonies worth .

ship 660

If you are going to get in the scraper business you better buy a whole fleet of the same kind. High maintence is the word. Its good to have the older worn out models back at the shop to get parts off of to keep the others going.

farmerted44

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
627s are more versatile as far as i am concerned. run em single, push em, push-pull, and if ya got 3 good operators run a train. now thats getting busy!!

Mass-X

When running single engine scrapers, you're completely dependent on your dozer for loading. If it goes down, the whole operation stops. While tandem engine scrapers can keep running if one goes down.

There's strong justification for single engines with a dozer pushing being more fuel efficient, but that really hinges on the models of both scraper and dozer (newer vs. older).

On slopes from a 3:1 or steeper, tandem engines typically beat out the singles.

Advice from a scraper foreman: If you're putting the scrapers through shot rock, most of the time a single engine with a big dozer is best. For 621's, it'd be hard to beat a D9, if not a D10. If you're running 627's, run them single through the cut and push with a dozer.

From my experience, running the tandem's push/pull through shot rock results in a lot of flat tires. If you run them single, have the operator keep power on the tires, but let the dozer do the work. It'll save a lot of scraper tires in the long run.