• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skagit Iron and Steel Works, Sedro Wooley, Washington

Redwood Climber

Bu 99

I wonder if this 99 is the one that Wayne Stone just brought up to Oregon and rebuilt? It came from somewhere in Northern California.

No, it's a different machine. The Wayne Stone machine is a BU 98, an 1 & 3/8 inch machine, it is now for sale, it is a beautiful machine. There is an article I read in timberwest magazine, (you can read it online) that said they purchased it at auction for $500.00!! They spent big bucks getting her ready to log. The California machine was still there in August 2011 when I got the pictures. The BU 99 was a bigger machine, but they used the same carriers and towers.

Last edited:

Rusty Grapple

Here's a picture of the Bill Wold BU-99 in California taken the first week of February, 2012. Lines have been removed, and by the end of this day the yarder was in several pieces headed North in it's own 'convoy'. It has since had some work done, been stripped and repained (blue/white) and was reassembled on it's first Oregon job just this week. I'd say by Thursday she'll be yarding logs.

The machine looks absolutely fantastic and I know a bunch of us hope Jeremy can quickly get some Youtube action for us!
This was a real find, and the machine was purchased in 2011. Just took him some time to find a job big enough to use her!

Pic shared with permission.

Attachments

• A4 - RG.jpg
    A4 - RG.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 1,103

Redwood Climber

The Bit Iron WINS!!!

I am happy to say I was incorrect on the Bill Wold machine. This BU 99 had logged all over northern California and I'd gotten to see it quite a bit. It had been parked at Bill's shop in Hoopa for a number of years and I worrried it would end up as Chinese steel in Japanese cars driving American roads. YES!!
The Big Iron Wins!! This tower logged at Klamath, Ca. for Arcata Redwood Co. in 1989-92 or so. He had a big Cat 245 loading under it. They made quite a pair. Big machines, Big wood. Steep ground. Long spans.....this machine has seen it all! During that time Simpson bought ARCO and this machine logged for a few more years for Simpson. So they had two BU 199's and a BU 99 and a Big Skookum Tyee logging in the same country. Many times from one spot you look out and see at least two sometimes three towers working at the same time.

The machine was looking pretty tired sitting at the shop all those years. I had pictures sent to me of this very machine and didn't know it. She was all painted up, Blue & White, getting ready to head back out to the brush where it belongs. I wondered if it could be Bill's machine. Boy is she a beauty....can't wait to see her in action.

Sure do miss the Big Iron....

Many times it is discouraging news on here when so many of the machines we grew up on are being scrapped, but here is some Great news. My hats off to those who are not afraid to step out there, purchase an old (50 plus years) machine put new life into her and put her out there getting out the wood! Not many of us are willing to take a risk like that especially in this economy.

Pictures and videos please!!

Last edited:

Scott S

Many times it is discouraging news on here when so many of the machines we grew up on are being scrapped, but here is some Great news. My hats off to those who are not afraid to step out there, purchase an old (50 plus years) machine put new life into her and put her out there getting out the wood! Not many of us are willing to take a risk like that especially in this economy.

Pictures and videos please!!

Rumor in our area is Wayne Stone is putting it too work.

Redwood Climber

Bu 99 bu98

Rumor in our area is Wayne Stone is putting it too work.

So is that why he has the BU 98 up for sale? I see it in My Little Salesman. Replacing it with the BU 99?
Why just have a BIG yarder when you could have a HUGE yarder.......big toys are cool.

Rusty Grapple

I wouldn't say you were incorrect Redwood, just alot happened since you last saw the machine! That machine was nearly scrapped and we're just plain lucky that Wayne found it when he did. It is safe to say that today Wayne Stone owns 2 of the nicest vintage big yarders in the PNW and he isn't afraid to use them either. He's got some of the best people in the business to rig and run these machines and really that's the tough part- finding people that good!

As a self-proclaimed 'amateur wannabe logging historian' I am just tickled to death over the re-life of this yarder!

There are lots and lots of eyeballs watching this queen so pics and video should be plenty over the next year or so-

Just so veryone knows how smart I am, I just had to go to http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/amateur to determine the spelling of 'Amateur'....boy that sucks.

At least I can add the correct spelling of amateur to the list of things I've already learned today!

Last edited:

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
^^^ In the South, we use the term 'shadetree'. Easier to spell, therefore less work. :D

Redwood Climber

Big Iron Excitement!

I 100% agree Mr. Grapple, I am thrilled that this machine did not get scrapped. There is way too much history with these machines to just melt them down. There is still a need for long span skyline logging, perhaps not near what it used to be, but when the market picks up, and the economy booms again the need will be there. Yes, on a much smaller scale, but there will be a need. I refuse to be a doomsday down in the dumps it will never get better life just sucks boo hoo boo hoo person. Yes things are tough, I'm living and surviving by the hand to mouth financial system right now too. No one can afford to log real expensive timber right now. But when things perk up.... and I believe it will....there will be more long span work done. I've been called a fool many times....no problem I've been wrong....no problem, time will tell.

I do have to admit that I have thought of this machine nearly all day, I am an addict....a Big Iron addict...there I said it. Perhaps there is a 12 step program for that too. I REALLY look forward to pictures and videos. It's going to be really cool.

By the way it is also cool that you learned how to spell amateaur...amatear...ameratur...amateur!!

Rusty Grapple

Here's my 12-Step Program: 8 Guylines, 1 Skyline, 1 Haulback, 1 Skidding Line, and 1 strawline. How's that sound?
The only thing better is 2 haywire drums....

I agree things will be better and the environmentalists will be the ones who bring back big yarders and long-span sales. Riparian zones, fish streams, creek crossings, all are making it more expensive to build road and therefore will force the big yarders back into action.

There are only 2 ways to log steep ground: Lots of road and short yarding, OR Lots of yarding and less road.
More and more we see less roads and bigger landings again. This is good- requires big yarders and lots of quality crew.

This forum has demonstrated that there are thousands of us with this same addiction to big longspan gear!

Rusty Grapple

Speaking of Long-Span Gear

I might have posted this before but it is worth looking at again- Skagit BU-94 highly modified by Jack Tillman.
Tillman built the tower and carrier (powered axles and a hydraulic steering dolly under the gooseneck) and
also added the massive skyline drum ahead of the Skagit hoist. Scanned from a 1989 magazine ad.

Attachments

• Skagit BU-94 with Tillman at Merril and Ring - RG.jpg
    Skagit BU-94 with Tillman at Merril and Ring - RG.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,150

TorkelH

Skagit 739 cab

I have tried to look through some pictures for the LP/Mike Graves/TimberWest BU-199's cab, instead I found the cab from the 739 parked beside it (Chemainus auction 2004) in Lemare's yard...

One other thing: In 1977 Denis James Van Winkle at Oregon State University wrote "An analysis of road changing on several cable logging operations" analysing four different cable systems by four different contractors. It seems to be two Washington 108's, one GT3 and one BU199 in the study. It seems two of the yarders where in Pansy Creek Basin (Mt Hood) and two in Klamath. The following four contractor participated in the study: E & A Logging Company, E. E. Lucas Logging Company, Flying Scotsman, Inc. and Van Der Beck Logging Company. I know from above that Lucas had a BU-99, did they even have a BU-199 also or may one of the other contractors have had one?

Attachments

• BU199_739.jpg
    BU199_739.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,252
  • P1040079.jpg
    P1040079.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 1,283

bushman1

torkelH you have jogged my memory and I have confirmed this with a guy I know. E&A( eastlick and atterbury) happy camp, ca did have a 199 thought they sold it in mid 70s the yarder parked at bill wold shop in hoopa that redwood climber saw is not BU99 it is a 1964 trailer mount BU90 that he also got from chic lucas. lucas did have 108s at this time.

Redwood Climber

BU 99....BU 90 big difference.

torkelH you have jogged my memory and I have confirmed this with a guy I know. E&A( eastlick and atterbury) happy camp, ca did have a 199 thought they sold it in mid 70s the yarder parked at bill wold shop in hoopa that redwood climber saw is not BU99 it is a 1964 trailer mount BU90 that he also got from chic lucas. lucas did have 108s at this time.

Sorry Mr. Bushman1, the yarder I saw and have pictures of is most definetly a Skagit BU 99. I'm not wanting to start an argument, just trying to make sure we keep the history and facts clear here on this thread of the HEF. No personal assault here at all. It's the same one that Bill took to Klamath, Ca along with his Washington 188 rubber mount to log for Arcata Redwood Co. The machine that was parked at Bill's shop was a HD 110 self propelled unit. There is a HUGE difference in a BU 99 and a BU 90. Not very many if any BU 90's were ever put on the HD 110 carrier. The pictures I do have are only partial pics of the machine, it was parked partly in his shop. It was an eight guyline telescoping tower. Big square (rectangular actually) fuel tank butted up against the cradle, two hudraulic winches just below the tank... I spent several years working on a BU 90 trailer mount here on the coast, so I am pretty familiar with them. If somehow I am wrong, I'll be happy to fess up. I am glad you joined the HEF, please continue to post any history and pictures you have. Thanks.
First name Mike?

Last edited:

bushman1

Sorry Mr. Bushman1, the yarder I saw and have pictures of is most definetly a Skagit BU 99. I'm not wanting to start an argument, just trying to make sure we keep the history and facts clear here on this thread of the HEF. No personal assault here at all. It's the same one that Bill took to Klamath, Ca along with his Washington 188 rubber mount to log for Arcata Redwood Co. The machine that was parked at Bill's shop was a HD 110 self propelled unit. There is a HUGE difference in a BU 99 and a BU 90. Not very many if any BU 90's were ever put on the HD 110 carrier. The pictures I do have are only partial pics of the machine, it was parked partly in his shop. It was an eight guyline telescoping tower. Big square (rectangular actually) fuel tank butted up against the cradle, two hudraulic winches just below the tank... I spent several years working on a BU 90 trailer mount here on the coast, so I am pretty familiar with them. If somehow I am wrong, I'll be happy to fess up. I am glad you joined the HEF, please continue to post any history and pictures you have. Thanks.
First name Mike?

it is rocky. when bill moved 99 from forks of salmon to klamath in 1989 it never went back to hoopa.closest it got was bald hills where they took it apart.that bu90 is on hd 110 trailer... does look kind of like it with dollie under it

Redwood Climber

Bu 99........bu 90

redwood i may have also misunderstood post #403 on yarder being at bills shop! I do know you know the difference.

Thank you Sir, I went back & had a look at my camera, but the screen on it is quite small (it's about a 10 year old digital...ancient by todays standards). I can't quite make it out. You may be correct, I've been wrong many times. I didn't know Mr. Wold had a BU 90. I only knew of the 99 as far as towers go. It shows to go you how much I do not know. Very basic mistake, I still make 'em. Anyway I will get this photo card put on a disc so I can see it and the other yarder pics I've taken. If I am wrong, I thank you for setting me straight. If you are who I think you are, there's no better man to do just that.

Do you have any other pics of his equipment? How about the Klamath yarders? All those years and I only took a few........bad mistake. I really regret it.

After 5 or so posts you can then post pics, don't ask me how, dipsticks like me with computers do not make good teachers. There is a place on the main HEF menu that can help. Take care, and again welcome to the forum, the place where some of us come alive....

Last edited:

bushman1

Thank you Sir, I went back & had a look at my camera, but the screen on it is quite small (it's about a 10 year old digital...ancient by todays standards). I can't quite make it out. You may be correct, I've been wrong many times. I didn't know Mr. Wold had a BU 90. I only knew of the 99 as far as towers go. It shows to go you how much I do not know. Very basic mistake, I still make 'em. Anyway I will get this photo card put on a disc so I can see it and the other yarder pics I've taken. If I am wrong, I thank you for setting me straight. If you are who I think you are, there's no better man to do just that.

Do you have any other pics of his equipment? How about the Klamath yarders? All those years and I only took a few........bad mistake. I really regret it.

After 5 or so posts you can then post pics, don't ask me how, dipsticks like me with computers do not make good teachers. There is a place on the main HEF menu that can help. Take care, and again welcome to the forum, the place where some of us come alive....

I started looking at this site a few years ago thought i might post 2 years ago so became a member but did'nt do anything until 199 and 99 talk came up. I started digging yesterday and found picture of E&A 199 in early 70's out of orleans,ca. also 199 picture unknown where it was . 1973? picture of 199 at olc plus countless others including wold and klamath. even have some video . I have spoken with R.G. about what happened to all the yarders(where they went) I have some calls in trying to find out what happened to South Coast lmbr. (brookings,or,)BU 199 it was a later model than arcatas.also forgot about bill leasing shop in klamath if thats where your pic. is you are correct

Last edited:

TorkelH

Ok - this is exciting - bushman1 I'm looking forward to see your pictures and videos (as well as Redwood Climbers, maybe you can cooperate?). I haven't yet heard anything from my contact in Campbel River on Vancouver Island, so I'll try calling them again tonight. When we find out some more I'll try setting up a new list of the 199's. It's certainly enough to do, when we finish the 199's we'll need to find out of the 99's as well... LOL

Eventually it will hopefully be lot's of pictures of Wayne Stone's "new" BU-99

BTC - do you recall what kind of yarders the MMB J-22 and J-23 was?

By the way - it was lot's of problems with damaged wires due to the sheaves/fairleads in the spartop on J-20 in Sproat (BU-99), any know if this was a common problem on these yarders/towers?

hoechucker

I know a guy that as a hook tender for arcata redwood at the time of the 199s,I'm gonna see him in a few days or a week.he probably has a clue on what happhappened to them.

bushman1

I know a guy that as a hook tender for arcata redwood at the time of the 199s,I'm gonna see him in a few days or a week.he probably has a clue on what happhappened to them.
as i said in a previous post i had told rusty grapple where they went and and was going to let him mispell the names.I'll give it a shot. the 1974 one went to B.C. guy i know saw it up there later on i think he said it was sitting next to two washingtons and a madill.heard later that it got scrapped.the 1977 one was sold to dminimini(spelling)around coos bay they later sold it to millicoma in same area.millicoma was in loggers world 4years? ago there was a picture of it or their other one i think R.G. told me they were using 1977 ARCO for parts