• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Skid steer pulling trailer

LanceNE

Occupation
Land clearing/Fuels reduction
Wondering if anyone has ever pulled a trailer with a skid steer?
I've heard that the older ASV were made for that. Have a 297C Cat and was going to weld a receiver hitch on. Looking at pulling a trailer full of logs or chips back in some remote country.

T GRIMM

have not done it yet but i was going to put a hitch on my 297c and pull a small disk with it in the wetlands that we work in. its the only machine i got thatll float in those arias and the NRCS wants em disked! let me no how it works. ive pulled lots of things with the loader by just drillin a hole in the bucket and putting a ball in it, but that only works goodwith short disances.

LanceNE

Occupation
Built like little tanks, ought to be able to pull a little bit with them. I was going to find an old manure spreader with hydraulic push out, take off the beaters and use it for getting logs out of some tough spots. Sounds a little bit hillbilliesh but cheaper than a forwarder.

BIGcatT870

Occupation
Building and Repairing
I can't think of any reason pulling a trailer should be a problem. I would however, consider loading the front of the machine with a bucket of dirt or some sort of counter weight to keep the front end down.

brushmaster90

Occupation
independnt tractor operator
I havent done or scene it but I got a buddy who works for the power company. I rember him saying they have a special trailer for the skid steer meant to pull telphone pulls to the middle of the fields.

As BIGcatT870 mentioned some weight in the front might help. Or at least I would imigane some sort of ballast.

LanceNE

Occupation
Thanks for the input..... thought I might be able to load up the grapple rake with logs to off set the trailer alittle

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
We had a two inch hitch welded on a Scat trak for towing a compressor for air drill attachment two drills for drilling in parking lot job.It worked great customer loved it.

Last edited: