• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

skid steer tracks

TVCLTD

Has any one had any experience with the cheap skid steer tracks
found on e-bay made out of transport 70 chain and flat bar for
low hour users,just wondering how they work,last.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I also saw those and I laughed. You get what you pay for (usually). You can usually find a used set of Grouser or Leogren tracks for under 1K. I like my Trail Blazers.

Yellowdog

I saw a guy unload a 763 Bobcat with a set of those chains. I laughed too. It reminded me of Jacob Marley dragging his chain. Made noise and looked real, real, flimsy. The point of tracks is giving your protection and flotation. Those tracks' pads looked so thin and they ran so loose I couldn't believe they were doing anything except waiting to get hung up on something like rebar or a sharp stump.

I have a set of used Loegering trail blazers. I have had them on an 863c, 863G, s250, s300. Rebuilt a few components here and there. Replaced a few pins, a FEW broken links, and worn bolts. Tracks still do their job after nearly 7 years and thousands of hours on rock and limestone. I just took them off last month because I wanted to reduce the weight on my trailer and stop tearing up the ground so much. You CAN'T go wrong with good tracks from a good brand.
Tried a pair of grousers with replaceable pads on an S250. Ended up practically giving them back to the dealer they stunk so bad. The grade 8 bolts (2 of them) that hold the pads on sheared off in rocky terrain. The cast iron tracks were heavy, too. I like the Loegering because they are made of "magnesium?", I think. Durable, only 450 lbs. per side, and not too hard to take on or off and they only cost about $3500 new.

xkvator

Yellowdog said:
I like the Loegering because they are made of "magnesium?", I think. Durable, only 450 lbs. per side, and not too hard to take on or off and they only cost about $3500 new.
they're forged steel...i paid $1800 for a new set a couple years ago

stuvecorp

Have run both the Grouser and Loegering steel tracks, and the Loegering are way better to take on and off. Traction seems real good and I thought the Loegering didn't make as much noise. If you can find a used set that may be a good route to go.
We tried some of those poly CRT tracks on our 440 Case and we totally destroyed them, stay away from them! The dealer swapped us to the Loegering tracks and still haven't picked up his poly tracks (6 months ago), I don't think he wants them back.

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
I know a fellow i nthe next town through my brother that has some of the 800 dollar tracks. Im gonna try them next week as I dont need a set very bad except over on the lake where its got gravel beaches. I may get a profile off his tracks and make a set one weekend. He says they work great and were garanteed for 1800 hours. Skid steer solutions has a cheap set of stamped steel tracks that look like high flotation jobs. On my 1840's I may ad a temporary idler axle between the tires to take the load off the axles and add flotation.

CGSI

KSSS said:
I also saw those and I laughed. You get what you pay for (usually). You can usually find a used set of Grouser or Leogren tracks for under 1K. I like my Trail Blazers.

Laugh all you want. I bought a set for 500 bucks new from http://cgi.ebay.com/TRACKS-SKIDSTEE...4QQihZ017QQcategoryZ50908QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and they perform as well as most others that I have used. The owner of the company is very proud of his tracks and a real gentlemen if you have any questions or problems. I will admit that i do not climb on a lot of rock and stuff but they work great on all other surfaces. They have held up very well so far and you can put them on inside of 15 minutes so i do not run them continious. If i get 3 years out of them at 500 bucks i am still way ahead of the game.

Jon rowray

CRT tracks

Have run both the Grouser and Loegering steel tracks, and the Loegering are way better to take on and off. Traction seems real good and I thought the Loegering didn't make as much noise. If you can find a used set that may be a good route to go.
We tried some of those poly CRT tracks on our 440 Case and we totally destroyed them, stay away from them! The dealer swapped us to the Loegering tracks and still haven't picked up his poly tracks (6 months ago), I don't think he wants them back.

I need pads for my CRT tracks. CRT went out of business leaving me with a set that need repair, anyone have any?

daddyflatproof

Site Sponsor
Occupation
I'm in the rubber industry
The best track

You shouldn't waste your time buying cheap tracks that don't last. You'll just end up spending twice as much trying to go the cheap route. Check out McLaren's Protrac Diamond track. It rugged, offers better traction, last longer and, has a warranty! They have used sets as well... :Banghead

Yellowdog

You shouldn't waste your time buying cheap tracks that don't last. You'll just end up spending twice as much trying to go the cheap route. Check out McLaren's Protrac Diamond track. It rugged, offers better traction, last longer and, has a warranty! They have used sets as well... :Banghead

are you a sales guy for McLaren?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I added "Site Sponsor" to daddyflatproof's profile after yellowdog made his post and I did a little research. We've spoken with daddyflatproof about the operations here. But thanks for the help there just the same Captain Obvious.:rolleyes: