• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Smaller used dozers.

Jeff D.

I've little/no experience with dozers, but am interested in finding a used one, with a max operating weight of around 16-18k lbs.(The largest I could carry on my trailer.)

Other than the obvious concerns about undercarriage, and other mechanical wear, what would you look for in a used dozer? What to stay away from?
What is the smallest size that will still push over smaller trees (4-6"at base)?

I'm looking for specific good older models/brands and perhaps the problematic models too avoid.

Right now I've been leaning towards an older JD450, but am open to suggestions.

6-way a must?
Hydrostat good or bad?
Is 8800 lbs too small for real work?
Any good models that seem to sell for less than the rest?

I don't mind if it's old(suprise:rolleyes: ) as long as it's still serviceable, and of a design that is as easy too work on as possible for a dozer. That second part scares me about the 450. I've been told the clutches are buried pretty deep in the case, when repair is needed.

Thanks!:notworthy

JBL

The straight 450 and 450B used a dry disc steering clutch system. Once they become oil soaked you lose steering. There is an inspection cover on the top of the final drive below the seat and a drain plug on the bottom of the final that allows you to drain water and if the differential seal is leaking, oil from the clutch compartment. You can look down through the inspection cover and if the brake band is covered in oil and grease it is about time for repair. I believe the C model is when they went to a wet disc steering clutch system so my guess is that would be alot less headaches.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I would get a JD our D3 tranny is been nothing but problems.

Jeff D.

thanks guys for the info.:yup

Not alot of replies though. I would've thought more people would've had an opinion on dozers.:beatsme

Could someone explain the terms "shuttle" and "reverser" when they are talking about the trannies?

Is a reverser simply a lever that will put the dozer in reverse in any gear?

If you guys don't help me I'll just go out and buy something like this:http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_531338_531338

And when I find out it can't push a turd off a sidewalk, I'll blame everyone but JBL and Dozerboy.:bouncegri

No.......but some opinions from you guys as what would be big enough for smaller landscaping/driveways/land clearing jobs would be great.

Orchard, you have an Komatsu D20, correct? Will it push over a 4" tree? What's that weigh, about 9k? I looked at one, but it didn't have any english on it anywhere, so I figured this particular one was a grey market machine, and left it alone. He was asking $11k.

I just don't know how big I'll need, but don't want too big. I couldn't move a 550JD or a D6. Would a Komatsu D20 or D21 or JD350 be big enough?

Thanks!

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
I'd get an older JD 350, like an early 80's or late 70's machine. Parts should still be available and those machines are fairly compact, should be easy for you to move with your current truck/trailer combo. Plus, they're classics!

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
And when I find out it can't push a turd off a sidewalk, I'll blame everyone but JBL and Dozerboy.

Even though a good operator makes all the difference... :yup

Could someone explain the terms "shuttle" and "reverser" when they are talking about the trannies?

In my experience, "shuttle" means a forward/reverse only transmission. Fer instance, the case backhoes I've spent so much time on, have forward and reverse on one handle--the shuttle, and a straight 4 speed tranny behind that--shifter sticks up through the floor between your legs, and has four gears, but no reverse. I'm sure the same definition applies to any machine with a "shuttle". As far as a reverser, it sounds like the same thing, but it's not a name I'm familair with.

you have an Komatsu D20, correct? Will it push over a 4" tree?

I think most self respecting skid loaders would push over a 4" tree, unless you just absolutely couldn't get in the right spot to do it. You just might have to dig around the roots a little first...

woberlin

Occupation
excavating contractor/bodyshop owner
I have a cat d3b and absolutely love it. It will do alot of work, and certainly everything you mentioned that you need a dozer to do. I still find it to be a little light when trying to cut hard rocky soil, or push uphill. Plenty of power, just not enough weight. Unless your doing strictly landscaping, I would stay away from the #10,000 & #12,000 dozers. A Case or JD 450 is about as small as I would consider.

Mike J

I think those 10,000 lb dozers would be a bit light. I recently got an allis chalmers hd7 running. I think it weighs around 16k and i was pushing a little dirt with it and i don't think I would want a dozer that was only 10,000 lbs, unless it was just going to be used for grading lawns and other light jobs.

I think you would be able to haul a deere 550 ok. The new ones are about 17k so that would be in in your 16 to 18k range.

xkvator

never ran the dozer versions...but i really liked the 555 over the 450 with the extra weight/power. i liked the 555 trans, too
...but if you're doing driveways/landscaping, i think the 450 would be ok

we just cleared an acre...a Bobcat 773 w/grouser tracks pushed over everything up to about 8"...i cut down, then dug all the larger trees with a 580K

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Jeff D. said:
Not alot of replies though. I would've thought more people would've had an opinion on dozers.:beatsme
Sorry for the delay, somebody covered my sidewalk in turds and I had to push 'em off with the D-20. Ran over my survey stakes too... :mad: Neighbor said it looked like an older red international....
Jeff D. said:
Like what digger said. Mostly I've seen shuttle and reverser to mean the same. However, I've also seen on some older stuff "Shuttle" meant that reverse and a working forward gear were in line with each other. Meaning that you reached down and "shuttled" back and forth. (now that's some good marketing spin!) I've also heard people call power shift dozers reversers. You almost have to ask to be sure.
Jeff D. said:
If you guys don't help me I'll just go out and buy something like this:http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_531338_531338
I looked at one of those in person once! Had a crazy pedal steer with both pedals on the same foot! IIRC also had bolts in the tracks instead of regular pins/bushings. Whole thing looked homemade. Guy was selling it with like 60 hrs. on the clock. Maybe you want one of these? http://www.struckcorp.com/index.html

Jeff D. said:
Orchard, you have an Komatsu D20, correct? Will it push over a 4" tree? What's that weigh, about 9k? I looked at one, but it didn't have any english on it anywhere, so I figured this particular one was a grey market machine, and left it alone. He was asking $11k.
I have a D20A-6. Yeah small trees (4-8") are no problem. Depends on the site conditions and tree species. Mine has the canopy instead of full 4 post ROPS and it weighs about 8k. The D21 (powershift) is a little heavier and a 4 post ROPS adds nearly a ton. Most of them are grey market I think. Mine has asian and english writing on the inside of the side cover. Only asian in other spots. Komatsu has all the parts readily available. Other aftermarket suppliers have been easy too for cutting edges, tracks, rollers. Filters I can get at NAPA etc. I think the P models have a 1' wider blade and pyramid/swamper pads.
BTW - 6 way is a must. I started out with a Case D310E with a 4 way blade. Don't know how I did without the tilt function.
Since you already have a backhoe you could do like xkavator said and dig out anything that's too big for a small dozer.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Stop encouraging him...we know what he is capable of in a truck:eek: ...just think what he'll be like in a Dozer:rolleyes:

For older small dozers I think the Case machines are pretty good...couple working round here never give any trouble.

jazak

So whats wrong with CAT D3s? I haven't seen may people using them, mostly D4s, and lots of people don't like them but I haven't heard why, so whats up?

Jeff D.

Orchard Ex said:
Sorry for the delay, somebody covered my sidewalk in turds and I had to push 'em off with the D-20.
What kind of sicko would do something like that!?:eek: :rolleyes:
OrchardEx said:
Like what digger said......
He's referred too as "His Diggerness" now, or "The Dig-miester"
Mike J said:
I think you would be able to haul a deere 550 ok.
:yup For some reason I thought they were 20k lbs, but I guess not.

Thanks Orchard, and everyone for the replies. I looked a four dozers today. A JD350, Komatsu D-31, Case 850, and a Massy Fergeson ??.

I liked the D-31, but too much money.

I'm going to test the JD350 out friday afternoon. It has 2900 hrs, undercarriage looked good too me. He said you could steer it with your pinky. Was clean looking. Asking $7500

I'll try it out in a pit and see how it does, and decide from there. Maybe I can get him too come down some??

iceberg210

I'm suprised no one has mentioned IH.

I operate a D3 and a International Harvester TD6. The TD6 is a great peice of machinery but as IH didn't build to many of them especially later on the one I would look at is the TD7. Its a very capable machine and lots of them were made by both IH and later Dresser. It weighs in at about 13-15k pounds depending on year and options.

Jeff D.

I haven't run across too many IH dozers yet. I did look at one smaller one, a TD4 maybe, but it was a gas job. Looked like it had an Farmall H motor in it.

He wanted $7k for it. It was nice shape, but pretty old, and small for 7 g's.

Different areas must have different dominant brands. There's alot of John Deere and Allis Chalmers around here, when looking at the older stuff.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I was going to meantion International there isn't many around they are a good machine I have ran a small track loader I forget what model number it weighs around 18,000lbs.

One thing about the International they have the same steering system and transmission as Caterpillar. They also have a decellerator like a Cat machine too.

Jeff D.

I'd forgottton about one other International crawler I'd looked at. I don't remember the model #, but it had a loader and a backhoe on it. It wouldn't turn when it got hot, though. I asked a mechanic about it, and he said stay away, too expensive to fix the steering problem.:beatsme

The Case 850 dozer sure looked good, but after asking about the D-31 price, I knew the Case would be more, and it may have been too heavy for my trailer anyways.