• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Smallest Letourneau Scraper?

texascadillac42

Does anyone have any info on the smallest Letourneau scraper ever built? I have been hearing stories of one that is fairly close to me, and might be for sale. I thought it might be a neat machine to take to the next HCEA show, but am looking for any info on them first. Thanks.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
Smallest Towed scraper was the model Z - it held about 2.5 cubic yards

The smallest Motor Scraper was the Model D "airborne" with Model Q Carryall - about 3.5 cubic yards and usually powered by a Continental gasoiline engine:pointhead.

Meangreen

Smallest Towed scraper was the model Z - it held about 2.5 cubic yards

The smallest Motor Scraper was the Model D "airborne" with Model Q Carryall - about 3.5 cubic yards and usually powered by a Continental gasoiline engine:pointhead.

I thought the "Q" was 2.5 yards.....but then heaped it might have been 3 1/2.

A friend of mine had one. I aided his widow in selling it a couple or 3 years ago.

The first one I saw was when I was a kid. I wanted my daddy to buy it for me to run. I thought it was just about the right size for me....:D

texascadillac42

It must be the Model D airborne because it is a powered unit.... Hopefully I will be able to track it down in the next couple weeks.... Does anyone have any ideas on weight/dimensions of the unit? Thanks.

Northart

Smallest Capacity ?

The LeTourneau Model D4 with model Q Carryall is the smallest capacity scraper made by LeTourneau. 2.3 cubic yard . This is a Self-Propelled unit with a 45 hp Continental Gas engine.

The Tractor Towed models D,and X are 3.5 cy, and the Model Z is 2.6 cy.

The following pictures are of my collection. Model X scraper and Model Q.The Model D4 Tournapull tires are loaded with calcium chloride. Makes for a heavy machine to move. There is no bar, to lock the tractor rigid for shipping (straight line movement), like the current Cat loader and graders. With a dead engine it flops from side to side. Makes for difficulty in loading.

The following data are from a 1959 CPH, and a book by Keith Haddock "Giant Earthmovers"

Attachments

• IM003875.jpg
    IM003875.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,656
  • Former  Scraper  1.jpg
    Former Scraper 1.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 2,309
  • Former Scraper  3.jpg
    Former Scraper 3.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,295

Buckethead

Occupation
Operator
Be Careful

Be careful with the old Tournapull scrapers with steering clutches. They were way before my time, so I never ran them, but the old timers around here used to them Widowmakers. They are beautiful machines, and technological marvels of their time, but they jackknife very easily and steer backwards when going down hill! Sometimes they used to have a dozer pull them in the cut rather than push them because they jackknifed so easily, and the hitch was very prone to breakage as well.

texascadillac42

Thanks for the info guys, I am going to see if I can track the owner down and find out if he is interested in selling it.