• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Snowplow return to center

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
Good evening,
I plow with a 268B with a Fisher XRS plow.
After pushing about 9" this afternoon, I parked in the garage to dry things out and allow it to warm up for a good grease job in the morning. When I parked the tractor I purposely angled the blade hard right to allow my wife to get her door open (see attached).
After sitting for 3hrs or so I came out to repair a tire chain (can't fix chains without a beer either).
Now the blade has returned to roughly 15d to center.
Is this a normal thing or might I have an issue? Not real concerned, I would just like confirmation that it's normal or not.
2.22.22.jpg
Thanks much
Andy

ThreeCW

Had a look at the Fisher XRS on their website ... it's a pretty cool plow. A feature of the plow is "automatically retracts the inside wing when fully angled and then automatically returns to the scoop position once straight."

If the "return to the scoop position" is a spring driven process, then that may explain how your plow is shifting 15 degrees when parked.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I think ThreeCW has figured it out. Sounds like Fisher has duplicated a Blizzard plow, it operated with springs, cables and cams to automatically manipulate the wings. They return to scoop by spring tension when the blade is straight and when the blade is centered the tension on the cables is neutral from side to side. That's where it naturally wants to return to. Leakdown of the cylinders or valves allows it to happen. I doubt you'd see it with a regular straight blade.

Long0

Charter Member
Occupation
Project Manager
ThreeCW & Steve are correct as far as wing function. Plow at center, wings are angled in. Angle plow right, right wing extends out to meet the straight portion of the plow and left side stays angled in. This whole process is achieved without hydro’s, only cables and springs. Spring tension is extremely high on both wings so I tested Steve’s theory.
Angled plow hard right last night. Unloaded hydro pressure and removed lines and plow from tractor. I connected left and right lines on plow together. This morning, no movement on plow hydros.
Next step is to do the same but leave the plow lines disconnected from each other.
Once I release pressure I can’t imagine any change in either situation though.