• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some Dumptruck pics

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
:) Dumptrucks don't really "Float my Boat" but I know some people like them!!!

Just switch off and go backwards & Forwards!!! Ha ha!:lmao :lmao :lmao

Hey Ron G, There's just no stopping me now!!!:lmao :lmao :lmao

Attachments

• A30 Bodmin McAlpine 031.jpg
    A30 Bodmin McAlpine 031.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 1,572
  • DSCF0310.JPG
    DSCF0310.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,534
  • DSCF0668.JPG
    DSCF0668.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 1,553
  • paul 001.jpg
    paul 001.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 1,568
  • Lawries 001.jpg
    Lawries 001.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,547

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I am impressed Nick,sure glad you stuck around.They'll be putting you on their christmas card list for sure!!!Don't stop now.Ron G:usa

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
The A40D('06) we had last year and the 735('06) that we have right now.

Attachments

• DSCN1685 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1685 (Small).JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,325
  • DSCN1688 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1688 (Small).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 1,336
  • IMG_0083 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0083 (Small).JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,316
  • IMG_0089 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0089 (Small).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,288
  • IMG_0085 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0085 (Small).JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 1,331

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
The 245 loading the 735. We also had a 730 ejector :Banghead.

Attachments

• IMG_0098 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0098 (Small).JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1,279
  • IMG_0099 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0099 (Small).JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,302
  • DSCN1700 (Small).JPG
    DSCN1700 (Small).JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 1,270

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
Hi Traxs,

Great photos my Friend!!!

Now I know who to call on if I ever emigrate to Canada....God knows I have thought about it many times!!

I used to play hockey here in the UK and met many Canadians during my 20yr playing career and they all told me there is plenty of machine work out there and some good money to be earned also....Maybe one day before I get to old :lmao :lmao I am 46yrs tomorrow!!

MKTEF

Occupation
Production manager
Hi Traxs!
Very nice pictures, and a big worksite with plenty of room.:)

What do you think of the Cat 735, compared to the A40?
And why did your firm exchange the machines?

I haven't been able to compaire Cat to Volvo, because Cat is to expencive for us...

And ceep the fine picture's coming, we all enjoy them:D

Nick Drew

Resigned
Occupation
Plant operator
OK Some Cat 740 Trucks for you!!

Attachments

• CAT 40 Tonne Dumper (1).jpg
    CAT 40 Tonne Dumper (1).jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,213
  • CAT 740 (0).jpg
    CAT 740 (0).jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,224
  • IMG_3752.jpg
    IMG_3752.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,213
  • IMG_3753.jpg
    IMG_3753.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 1,187

traxs

Occupation
Machinery Operator
Hi Traxs!
Very nice pictures, and a big worksite with plenty of room.:)

What do you think of the Cat 735, compared to the A40?
And why did your firm exchange the machines?

I haven't been able to compaire Cat to Volvo, because Cat is to expencive for us...

And ceep the fine picture's coming, we all enjoy them:D

Yeah but it's not all our land... What do I think of the 735 and the A40? Well, they're both great machines to start with. They both have their goods and bads. Both have plenty of power, and the fuel consumption of both is pretty good.

The retarder on both trucks does the job pretty good. While you can barely hear the one on the volvo, it's crazy loud on the cat. I like loud. In the volvo you have a pedal for retarding, and it can be put on automatic too. Only automatic in the cat.

The cat is a little more productive due to the box raise/lower time. As soon as you put the lever on float you have all your gears. The volvo stays in second gear until the box is down. The 735 box is sooo fast, BUT I've had some issues where the front end is too heavy(wet pitrun) and the box won't raise. You have to brake hard reversing to give it a swing for it to go up. And that happened on an '03 & '06 truck.

I like the cat cab better but the volvo is pretty close. The volvo has good innovations, like the load/dump brake. It puts the trailer brakes on and trans. in neutral; just put it in gear to go. It was great until the parking brake started to come on at the same time (????). The volvo has stupid options. Like the seat, our truck had no headrest or armrests. But a heated seat! The seat in the cat so much better because of that. The steering in the A40 is much stiffer than the 735. But I feel that the volvo is a little more precise. The steering wheel on the cat has more adjustments. I'm more comfortable in the cat. You sit in the middle in the volvo and a bit to the right on the cat. Not much difference. The mirrors on the 735 are the best, in '06 they're much higher that before(look at the 740 and the 735 in the pics), you can see inside your box.

At around 400hrs, on the volvo, I started to get an ECM error code from time to time (for a few seconds). Also, when I was lowering the box and turning at the same time, sometimes I'd get a steering pressure low alert.
So far nothing wrong with the 735 @ 350hrs.

The 735 has 8 foward gears and one reverse. (and a 730 or 740 has 7F and 2R, why? I dunno) But it sucks!! Backs up pretty slow. The volvo has 6 forward and 2 reverse. Both transmissions are very different. You hardly feel the volvo shift(on most gears), nice and smooth transition, engine is smooth through the shift. Totally the opposite on the cat! It's just violent! The engine just cuts and it shifts, but its done very fast! But it has a tendency to "gear hunt" more than the volvo. That's where the gear lock button(on the shifter) on the cat comes very handy. Never had to use it in the volvo.

The volvo is a very "user friendly" machine, but if I had to buy one today, I'd buy a 735 with a tailgate.

Sorry for the wait!! Had a busy week!

Last edited: