• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some New Neighbors in Denver (The 657E kind)

gd10r

Here they are, heard that these came from the HOSS auction recently. I am sorry to act a little happy but these will be the biggest scrapers in the Denver/Colroado market. I know Burnout sees so many that he gets tired of them, and Kenny too but this will be my first opportunity. I look forward to the upcoming action shots. You can tell why nobody else uses them, our bridge requires them to be broke for hauling, not real efficent when you realize that normally they would move 20 or more times a year.
The project is the Rueter Hess Reservior Expansion, hasnt seen a drop of water and now it's being expanded before it was complete. Some more agencies, cities, signed on and chipped in a pile of cash for the cause. This will be all drinking water for the communities south of Denver. I did brighten the shots with fill light in case they look funny.
Current fleet, 1-623G, 13-627G, 10-631D, 5-633D (being used on an uphill haul, tough on the old birds) 2 ea, 1/2 657E scrapers, plus all the assorted support equipment, 14M and H, 825H, JD 9500 series tractors with discs and beegees, 1-D10N, 2-D9Rs, 2-D8L's. Enjoy and I will try and sneak in again for more shots.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 2,321
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,158
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,130
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 2,288

Gavin84w

Thanks for posting Graham, yeh Kenny is just too spoilt out there isn,t he!

Those 31D,s look in good condition considering that model was i think about a 74/75 release, still doing an honest days work for sure and they are a good old bus.

Look forward to some more pics.

Who is the contractor?

992G

Looks like the 57E came along way from San Jacinto, California.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Bridge wieghts

I remember when Kiewit brought some 57E's up to Bonners Ferry, ID for a job about 10 years ago or so, they had to break them in half like that, but they also took the tires off the rear half. It was pretty impressive to watch them work, but I thought what a pain in the butt! I think they were only on the job for about 3 months, and away they went. Tore apart and shipped some where else.
A few years ago when I was in California and seen 675's in one piece on a lowboy I was shocked! I dont qiute understand all these bridge laws in differnt states. I know Colorado has some funky ones, from listening to our lowboy drivers. Whats good in the neighboring state aint worth spit in the next.
Good pics by the way G! Whos the contarctor. I seen some of them blue nosed scrappers a couple months ago when we came back from Kremmling.
Jason

gd10r

The constractor is Kelly Trucking from Golden Colorado. Yeah the 631Ds are well maintained units. There is always something blue on their iron.

JDOFMEMI

Actually Bemes Construction out of Denver used to run 657g's. i had a budde that lived and worked up there 9-10 years agp

I am trying to figure out how that worked since 657G's have only been out since 2006, not counting the 4 field follow units in 04 or 05

gd10r

Bemas, Larry Ames, has a slew of 627G machines, but their bread and butter is the classic 631E, some date back to the DIA project and Ames Construction.

dirthog28

GD10r is there a Bemas, I thought there was just SEMA and AMES which are associated somehow if I'm not mistake? I which we could move dirt like that back here in the midwest, but we have this little thing called clay and clay turns to mud!!! especially when you have rain every other day for the past month or two. I should have went to work for RE Monks back 5-10 years ago when I had the chance.

gd10r

Hog, yes there are the following:
Sema, Tom Ames (I Think)
Ames, The orig. outfit
Bemas, Larry Ames
A+ contracting, some other Ames or relative.
Its interesting, I call them the dirt mafia round here. There will be ames iron on a A+ job, bemas Iron on a SEMA project, A+ doing all the trucking for Bemas, A+ hauling all bemas iron all over the state, Hard to compete against those guys.
Heard that Bemas has mobed to Riverton Wyoming for 350,000 yd or so.
Gd10R

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Kinda makes me wonder how an outfit can move 5 dollar muck for 2.50. Seems to me alot a bunch of outfits are just trying to make thier payments. Not really caring about profit or or keeping a good crew. Tough times bring out tough actions.
Jason

JDOFMEMI

Kinda makes me wonder how an outfit can move 5 dollar muck for 2.50. Seems to me alot a bunch of outfits are just trying to make thier payments. Not really caring about profit or or keeping a good crew. Tough times bring out tough actions.
Jason

Times like this also brings out the worst in project owners who will tend to take advantage of the contractors, because they know many have no choice but to roll over for oppressive contract terms and other actions. They know you need the work, and if you do not agree to their terms, they can find a willing victem who will.
It pays to have some good loyal customers, but even then, you are still in a compromised situation.

fensoncont.

Awesome pictures, will be looking forward to action shots. Very nice looking 631D's there - do you know how many yards are being moved? Thanks for sharing.

BigIron25

I am trying to figure out how that worked since 657G's have only been out since 2006, not counting the 4 field follow units in 04 or 05

haha i was wondering the same exact thing...looks like caterpillar was sneaking them some 657G's a good seven or so years before everyone else got to play with them! totally not fair dude. hahaha but on the serious side there was probably a mistake in the letter designation. :drinkup

Gavin84w

Might have saved all the headaches with the current ones if they had them running around 7 years ago like they used to, now it,s a cad design one day and in the dirt the next. The old proving grounds testing sure has a lot of merit when you look at modern day machinery with the problems they have, you just can't beat time in the dirt to sort problems. When they are going the 57G is a good thing but they are having there issues from what i hear.