• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Some random work pictures.

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Nice thread Lee. It is cool to see some of the larger jobs. I work mainly on rental stuff but that means very little here lately. And I was 2/8 Cav Dec95 to Sep 98. Had bunch of buddies in 2/5 All Mortars.

Lee-online

Great info there. When you say you advance the timing by 0.5 to 1 mm to increase power how would that relate to degrees as in BTDC?

I don't know. All it is doing is preloading the rocker arm on the injector by 1mm so it is fired and at max travel just before max lift on the cam lobe. It works well. If you do too much (3-4mm) it will knock and smoke.

We also go to the high side of spec on the fuel setting and the torque screw on the governor can be turned in a little if they are lacking power for whatever application the machine is being used in.

With electronic engines there are not many tweaks. Excavators, we tweak the PRV and the max % torque limit on speed dial 10.

Lee-online

Replacing a cracked head on a C9 in a D6R.

These are packed in there. Big parts removed show how cramped it is
d6r head 003a.jpg

Head is off and cleaning up the block
d6r head 006a.jpg

The head is 400 lbs and is mostly under the cab so a C frame is used to lift it.
d6r head 007a.jpg

Head is on. Found it easier to install without the manifold/turbo and i didnt want the injectors to get damaged so the head is bare.
d6r head 008a.jpg

Per Eriksson

These are a pain to work on, and for some reason it is always seems like it is the #5 or #6 injectors that goes bad on them........

mahoni02

Hi body,

I just wonder what is the name of tool on the boom at the bottom picture? is it electrode gun?

Thanks

rare ss

Air needle scaler[/QUOTE]

favorate tool the boilies use to **** off everyone in the shop, walked in on one blairing from the fab shop with a bit of bar holding the trigger on once making it sounds as though they were busy haha

Lee-online

Finished up the head on the D6R last week. Washed it off before installing the sheet metal.
head d6r.jpg

I painted the head as i installed the components onto it. No need to leave bare parts so they rust.
head d6r 2.jpg

Started back on the 572G, Put a rear main seal in before installing the torque.
572 torque.jpg

Case was welded and then I had it washed out.
Installed both rebuilt clutches. Now my back is aching.
572 clutches.jpg

Lee-online

Case was cracked where the frame is welded to it. I put the marks on so i could keep track of what had been torqued. As i installed and torqued the bolts on the inner and outer of the left and right sides i moved the track foreword to access all the bolts. With all the jumping back and forth there was too much chance of missing one.

Lee-online

A D6N showed up with no steering or hydraulics. A quick inspection found no hyd oil and an overfull trans. Didn't even need to cut open the filters, just shook them.
brass in filter.jpg

Slippers from the toasted pump came out of the filter.
brass.jpg

938H getting a reman engine.
938h.jpg

The old one goes back for the core.
old engine.jpg

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Lee-online, i was looking at that picture of the clutch/brake assembly installed, in the top of that case on the right side there is that 2" x 2" piece of iron welded to the case what is that for? tooling install? just wondering.........................................theironoracle

Lee-online

Lee-online, i was looking at that picture of the clutch/brake assembly installed, in the top of that case on the right side there is that 2" x 2" piece of iron welded to the case what is that for? tooling install? just wondering.........................................theironoracle

That is where the bolts that hold the fender on go. They are welded on, drilled and threaded. That way there is no worry about leaking through the threads and there is more metal for the bolt to grip . Its always better to have blind holes in a case with oil.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
thanks, i remember now its been a while since i have been into one of these....................theironoracle