• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Somebody has to do it, and nobody else volunteers: the fixing saga

JD955SC

I almost always have to fix shop tooling/equipment first before using it. Empty gas bottles, missing parts, stripped threads on pullers/puller rods, etc. I always tell the new guys yeah we have some shop tooling but it’s always going to be broken or unusable.

most egregious in my book was the jackwagon that somehow popped and opened up a link on a lifting chain sling and put it back on the chain rack instead of tagging it out and turning it in to the supervisor. I was so mad because they obviously knew what they had done

skyking1

I was in the truck hauling pea gravel to abandon a big grease interceptor when I got a call and a text ( which I ignored till I was done driving ).
One of the jobs was a recycle and dump station down by Montesano @Hallback :D
The general had taken apart a couple of hydraulic crushers for paint cans and hazmat, then wanted to remote mount the motors and pumps in the new facility. Nobody took notes or labeled anything :oops:
Off I go on a 3 hour round to do 5 minutes of explaining about high pressure hydraulics and what goes where.
we had a "good talk" :)
They wanted to run it in black iron and I cautioned that those pumps could be set for 2000 PSI. The tags and all the info are long gone on these machines and I wanted them to err on the side of caution. One had a case drain, the other did not. One was relieved at the pump as well as the fixture, the other not so much. You'd have full pressure on the whole line.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Seems like every DIY industrial hydraulic job we clean up is either all orange box black iron 150# stuff or all hose. Like no one ever saw stainless or steel tubing before lol.

hosspuller

I had 1 1/2 inch sch 80 black pipe with socket welded fittings in several hydraulic systems. The large diameters drove the choice cost wise.. Never liked them as I always wondered about contamination inside the pipe. Never had any trouble though, only ran big cylinders. I figure the inlet filter protected the pump.

JLarson

Occupation
We've done some heavy carbon steel pipe like xh, 160 and xxh and socket weld hydro jobs before, typically we'll air clean each piece with a trailer compressor before install.

skyking1

The other day I limped the office trailer home from a job. The tires were horrible; The brakes non-existent. At first they let up my controller like they were working but then not so much.
I parked it and vowed never to move it until I had gone through everything. it was here 18 years ago when I first started with this outfit and I know no one has touched it. it has the dreaded California style mobile home axles on it.
last night I jacked it up and took two tires off to take in, and spun one of the bearings and it sounded like it was pea gravel in there. I knew I would be in for a fight today and I was not wrong. The outer bearing came off fine The inner was rusted on tight. I had a big piece of half-inch chain with no hooks on it so I bolted it on two of the bolts and used it as a slide hammer.
PXL_20210915_153225885.jpg

That ripped the seal off just fine but the bearing was rusted on.
I grabbed the hot wrench and scarfed in two places.
PXL_20210915_164944290.jpg
PXL_20210915_164941079.jpg

Didn't even burn the brake wiring.
The pivot point was frozen up but PB blaster took care of that. I'll get this side done, bolt on the tires and jack up the other.

hosspuller

Skyking1 ... can't tell the front of the trailer, but aren't the magnets supposed to down on the operating lever ? And the adjuster on the bottom where one can access it? Seems to me, you've got mis-applied backing plates installed by a previous someone...

I found buying whole backing plates with shoes, magnets, and hardware extremely more cost effective than replacing parts. Easier too, bolt on and splice brake wire. :)

hosspuller

Looks like your typical POS trailer home axles with weld on backing plates.
Yeah ... I don't see any bolts on the backing... Good catch.

Guess the brakes are there just to say trailer has brakes... Not meant to be used as brakes. :(

Last edited:

JLarson

Occupation
Pretty much, I'm sure they're fine for getting a house from plant to park but I've seen similar and worse on site offices too that got moved a lot, just not the durability of usual trailer axles it seems, probably a lot cheaper for the manufacturer though lol.

skyking1

They are functional, and have really odd hoops that connect the magnet to the rest of the works. they are multi position and don't have those arms that you typically see.
I can repair what I have there for this go-around.