• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

spreading 3/4 river stone on a 4:1 slope?

lgammon

we are bidding a job, it is under some bleachers at a local high school stadium. it is a 4:1 slope 70 feet top to bottom and 310 feet wide. at the bottom of the slope is a new fancy new rubber toped track for track and field. at the top is a retailing wall the bleachers will attach in the future. we can dump the stone at one side and have to carry it cross ways. they want 3/4 brown river stone spread 2-2 1/2 thick over geo fabric. i was thinking carring it sideways with the 953 and spreading up and down with the 277. how do you think this will work out. have you ever done this before on such a slope. a 4:1 doesn't scare me at all but with round stone on fabric is kind of making me weary...any ideas, point to think about, or any insight at all?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
I think you are looking at manual work to spread the stone as the depth of stone is too little on the geotech to allow mechanical distribution.Of course one could weigh up the cost of stone over labour and increase the depth .....

By my calculations it should take 134 ton for the slope which is not too big a volume to hand spread...

Last edited:

heavylift

The pretty clean rock is a pain on slopes.... with no fines... it doesn't say put... I worked at one plant that likes the pretty clean rock on areas that are hard to mow... It's usually a 3 to 4 times a year project replacing the rock...

Heavy rains sends it all to the bottom... Plus they want it on driveways where the scooters get stuck as soon as they drive on it...

I think an AB3 type product would be better suited for the job.... Watered and rolled it's almost concrete hard....

also there will be a need to clean under the bleachers after every game... if they are the open type...

good luck on the bid

Raildudes dad

Loose stone plus kids = big trouble. They will throw those stones everywhere:(. If kids can get under the bleachers and walk on the stone, they'll "walk it" downhill. Who's going to put it back in place? by hand? Crushed stone would be better than round stone, but 4 inch thick concrete will be maintenance free. Plus it can be hosed down if the "litter" builds up. 265 cyds of concrete;)

td25c

I was thinking the same thing joispoi.Stone slingers have there place and are pretty handy at times.In the first pic you will see a hopper bottom slinger truck and 25c holding a piece of styrofoam to keep the crumbs off the footing.This driver was dang good at placing the stone.He will get mad at ya if you reach for a shovel or rake while he's speading because he feels like I'm insinuating that he cant put the stone where it's needed:D Second pic is a dumper with a conveyor on the back.They dont work quite as well as the hopper bottom but it get's the job done.:thumbsup

Attachments

• blair's photos 545.jpg
    blair's photos 545.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 717
  • blair's photos 062.jpg
    blair's photos 062.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 711

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
what crosses my mind is maybe a skidloader with a Mensch sideshooter or comperable. If the skidloader is got the rubber tracks and you move straight in and straight out this may work.

http://www.menschmfg.com/bottom_bedder.html

They make these units to handle sand and I've used them for gravel with no problem at all.

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
I have also found that for spreading gravel the tire scrapers with pullbacks are very effective for leveling small amounts of gravel and stone without cutting in or changing grade. I've built several tire scrapers complete with pull backs and put them under "V" shaped frames so if anyone wants information on how to go about cutting the tires and etc PM me and I will be glad to help.

joispoi

I was thinking the same thing joispoi.Stone slingers have there place and are pretty handy at times.In the first pic you will see a hopper bottom slinger truck and 25c holding a piece of styrofoam to keep the crumbs off the footing.This driver was dang good at placing the stone.He will get mad at ya if you reach for a shovel or rake while he's speading because he feels like I'm insinuating that he cant put the stone where it's needed:D Second pic is a dumper with a conveyor on the back.They dont work quite as well as the hopper bottom but it get's the job done.:thumbsup

It's best to keep the operator happy, at least until he's out of ammo, err....gravel. :)

excav8r

Occupation
Equipment Operator
bobcat t190 is what i would use. have the loader bulk it in and the bobcat do the spreading.i would either work it straight across from the top to bottom or push it up the slope that way any excess stone u have u can use the wall to get it all in the bucket and have no mess at the bottom

lgammon

well i think the slinger truck is what i am bidding against, so me subbing one out and having to wait on my retainage makes that out of the question. just wondering how long this would take you guys

heavylift

I"l give you 3 days.... if the 134 tons is a good guess... then that's about 8 to 10 trucks loads here... roll the mat across the top then dump a load over the edge... get the smallest ctl.... me I would jump all over it with a 247.... I think 13 tons would be down in 13 minutes...

as for finish grading that would be an experiment.... maybe backdragged at a 45 degree angle... The thinnest is what I would consider an issue...

I'm giving you THREE DAYS ...BUT I want it done YESTERDAY :)

joispoi

How's the base under the fabric? Can you drive a side dumper across it? Maybe you can do it without the 953?

Last edited: